Anybody have pet names for their instruments?

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
My twelve string Sigma is Ziggy. My sitar I bought today is Syd. I had an old Strat copy as a teenager, and I repainted the lettering on the headstock to read Cynthia PLASTERCASTER.

How about you?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    My first bass, years ago, was a Kramer bass, so I called it "Cosmo" from Seinfeld.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Nearly all of them, except my old Ibanez acoustic

ESP KH-2 - Buffy
    ESP ltd Viper - Elvira the Bad Tempered Teenager
    LP Standard LE - Lucy
    Gretsch Hot Rod - Violet Love
    1998 LP R9 - Lola
    2003 LP R9 - Inara

teh Gibson BFG that got stolen was called Faith, and the white Strat with the Jimi headstock was called Harmony after the ditzy blonde vamp.

all girls, they are all beautiful girls to me.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • My bass became "Asshole" when it had an wire problem this summer

WHY WON'T YOU AMPLIFY ASSHOLE.
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    haha oh man. i call my SG 'my baby's daddy'. cause i swear, i love it that much, i'd have it's babies one day if i could.

yes i know. people and guitars can't have babies. not yet anyway! :)

buahahahahahahahaha!
  • paraphrased:

Eddie Vedder: "This is my ukulele, 'Carry-on'. Short for 'Carry on, my wayward son'"
    wind howls through our new haircuts
    the water rushes 'round
    heaven knows there's not one thing left to say
  • I illustrated a kids book about Baby Kangaroos when I was in college and took all the money from that job and spent it on a telecaster. I called it "Joey" since the money to pay for it came from the job where I illustrated baby joeys.
  • this dude at work has a guitar named "blacky"
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    this dude at work has a guitar named "blacky"
    How original.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Thinking about naming my latest...

Belaireside.jpg
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Well I named my Epiphone Les Paul Little Wing (it gives a good sound for that song). But I dont have any names for my other ones. I call My Ibanez bass Slim cuz its really light weight though.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    enharmonic wrote:
    Thinking about naming my latest...

Belaireside.jpg

Is that a Michael Kelly PAtriot ??

If so , you call callhim George !! Ha ha !! That'll go down well on this forum !! LOLOLOLOL !!!
    Nope. It's a Motorave Belaire :)
    enharmonic wrote:
    Nope. It's a Motorave Belaire :)

Tell a bit more about it. Looks like a semi-hollow. Those humbuckers look like copies of Gretsch or DeArmonds or something too.

When I think Belairte, names of 50's actresses like Marilyn and Greta Garbo spring to mind for some reason.
  • My twelve string Sigma is Ziggy. My sitar I bought today is Syd. I had an old Strat copy as a teenager, and I repainted the lettering on the headstock to read Cynthia PLASTERCASTER.

How about you?

No pet names for my instruments, but the best pet name ever for an inanimate object is Ted Knight's putter in Caddyshack.....Billy Baroo!
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Pet names are for pets. :D
  • My two tele's are called Thelma and Louise.
    Tell a bit more about it. Looks like a semi-hollow. Those humbuckers look like copies of Gretsch or DeArmonds or something too.

When I think Belairte, names of 50's actresses like Marilyn and Greta Garbo spring to mind for some reason.

You're on the right track. The Belaire is a semi-hollow that is similar in size to a 335. The pickups in mine are TV Jones TV-Trons, which are humbucker-sized Filtertrons. It's made of mahogany with a set mahogany neck. Mine has an ebony fretboard with clay dots, a Bigsby, and the optional metal pickguard.

You can see more examples at http://www.motorave.com :)
    enharmonic wrote:
    You're on the right track. The Belaire is a semi-hollow that is similar in size to a 335. The pickups in mine are TV Jones TV-Trons, which are humbucker-sized Filtertrons. It's made of mahogany with a set mahogany neck. Mine has an ebony fretboard with clay dots, a Bigsby, and the optional metal pickguard.

You can see more examples at http://www.motorave.com :)

I was woindering if they werwe Filtertrons.
    I have a Gretsch 6120 Hot Rod, which has TV Jones Filtertrons. They are wonderful pups. My Gretsch has teh '59 trestle bracing, which is a couple of longitudinal braces and then some "trestles" joining top to bottom. this gives some timber under the pups, more than a full hollow-body, much less than an ES-like sustain block. The effect is great, lots of hollow body characteristics, but great feedback control allowing crunchy amp settings.

Here's a pic

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/lucylespian/BadCatViolet.jpg

Your guitar looks sweet !!
    The trestle bracing is where the magic happens in the Gretsch guitars if you ask me. The 'trons are only part of the picture. I opted for them in the BelAire because it's not a sound that has been done to death. I still love a great humbucker or single coil tone, but for the most part I'm tired of hearing the same sounds over and over again. The 'trons take care of that nicely, and have a storied past. Who's Next, anyone? :D

I love Gretsch guitars. Yours is a looker!
    I completely agree that the trestle bracing is essential. I would not own a Gretsch without it. I tried an Anniversary model which was a total dog. I was lucky enough to pick mine up from an Australian collector who buys stuff in the USA, then keeps some, and moves some on. I paid half retail, for a pristine guitar.
    I'm going for a Weekend Warriors jam in a couple of weekds, and I think I will take Violet with me.
    I suspect they will categorise people by their guitar, and Violet will throw everybody off track.
  • chris01 wrote:
    Pet names are for pets. :D

My twelve string would bite your mailman in the arse if he heard you say that!
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    I call my Sears acoustic "China."

As in, made in China.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.