Songwriters...four questions for you?

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Do certain riffs or chord sequences go without lyrics for months or years before you find the words?
Or do you write lyrics you think will sound perfect with music but just don't fit when you come to putting the backing to them?
Or are there songs that lyrically and musically just come together for you?
Or are there songs you keep changing over the days/months/years that are ALWAYS "in progress"?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well, i tend to write before the music comes into play, although i keep in mind the riff/chords...keepin the words to a timin when i sing them aloud whilst im writing them...my mate and guitarist in same band then adds the musical side, keeping in mind the lyrics and timing i have suggested. Doesn't always work, but some of our stuff aint too badly done, but is always improving "ALWAYS"....
    I don't live today.....Maybe tomorrow?-Jimi Hendrix
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yes
    yes
    yes
    and yes

i'm currently recording stuff i wrote 2 and 3 years ago and some things have changed entirely.

once in a while, something will come together within an hour or so but those moments are rare

the only thing i found works for me is write down everything that pops into my head and then when the time comes that i figure out music that i like, i sort through the words to find what fits the mood/theme whatever and piece it together as best that i can.
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Originally posted by FinsburyParkCarrots
    Do certain riffs or chord sequences go without lyrics for months or years before you find the words?

For sure... most of my riffs are like that...

Or do you write lyrics you think will sound perfect with music but just don't fit when you come to putting the backing to them?

Not really... I'm a 'Stone' like character in that I write tons of riffs but having trouble pumping out lyrics that I'm proud of...

It's happened before, but it's rare
    Or are there songs you keep changing over the days/months/years that are ALWAYS "in progress"?

For sure...I've got a few like that... I never feel satisfied with the stuff I'm writing because I always look at it like 'It could be better,' or 'If I just put this or that in...' I'm glad sometimes that my main instrument is the bass sometimes because of that... a lot of times, songwriting is so frustrating...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293

Yes, you bet. There's a song I just finished up that I have been writing for three and a half years. There's plenty of riffs or ideas I've come up with, eventually they'll coalesce. I come up with them, and they often just float around in my head. Eventually, probably months later, I'll have an idea, and say to myself "well, that riff I have? What if I put that here? Or that chord progression from a year ago? That'd make a great bridge for this song.

[/B][/quote] Or do you write lyrics you think will sound perfect with music but just don't fit when you come to putting the backing to them? [/B][/quote]

I've got books of lyrics I've written, just random ideas I've tossed into a book...I doubt I'll ever use most of them. I write ideas for songs down ALOT, many of them are terrible, some of them are good. Most of the time though, when I write a song, I have trouble picking lines from those books to make it work.

[/B][/quote] Or are there songs that lyrically and musically just come together for you? [/B][/quote]

Yes, that happens every once in awhile. Two of my best songs I wrote in two days, one of them in one hour at one o clock in the morning. I have no real pattern; my 'out of nowhere' songs arent always better than my works in progress, or vice versa.

[/B][/quote] Or are there songs you keep changing over the days/months/years that are ALWAYS "in progress"? [/B][/quote]

Yes, as I said before, I've had songs that have been years in the making. It's really frustrating.

Sorry, I rambled, but when it comes to music and songwriting, someone has to stop me before I begin :-).
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 212
    i just write man...
    i might just be practicing my guitar and hit a riff or progression or whatever that i like so i right it down and same goes for lyrics..
    then later when i jam with friends or even by myself ill just pic the guitar part that fits the lyrics emotionally and stuff and play it.
    doesnt have to rhyme or have verses and chorus'... just has to be played with good timing.
    i havnt written lyrics specifically for music for a long time.
    Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596

- yes
    - yes
    - not yet
    - some
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • StormjessStormjess Posts: 14
    Ummmmm yes, yes , yes and once again yes.....

Writing for me is a release of wat im feeling at a particular time....so there for its never really 'in progress' it happens when it happens and wat comes out can be sometimes pretty extraudinary......if i had a feeling one day and then didnt finish writing that song...than it wouldnt be right for me to go back to that song and try and finish it while im feeling something totally different it just wouldnt work....

I have written ( off the top of my head ) roughly 22 songs and they arnt all bout depression or stuff like that ( althought depression makes for a good song subject ) my songs are bout things like....the feeling of sex....or the feeling of utter disgust .....umm also bout the bond of friendship.....or the feeling of succeeding and loosing...the diversity in my writing is a good thing also i think because that way i dont loose interest and i dont have to continously search for something to write a song bout.....it comes to me easier....

thats just the way i write the words of my songs....if u need any inspiration write bout the DIFFERENT things that u feel instead of repearting the one feeling and than having 10 songs or more bout the same thing....trust me ull get a lot more out of it ...but by all means if u love to write bout one feeling/thought and it makes u happy dont let me stop u ....i just thought id try to help out a lil and give an idea thats worked pretty well for me for a long time...

Thanks for reading tc and happy posting
    3:30 in the afternoon
    an affluent suburb
    64 degrees and cloudy