Wah? Wah's your favourite wah?

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
Alright, that's a crap thread title. What's your favourite wah-wah pedal and why? I'm a Vox man myself. Nice mellow bubbly tone.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• within a few days i'm going to order the Dunlop 535Q...i'm hoping this baby will be the one for me.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Just ordered the 535 from Musicians Friend and it comes with a free pedalboard...right on.

Next up for my board: TS-9 Tubescreamer (once i get some cash)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The Geoffery Teese Real McCoy line of wah's is my favorite, but pretty much anything with a fasel inductor a big sweep and a mellow top end will work.

Currently I use a morley bad horsie wah because it's switchless and potless therefore it never scratches. It also has a nice buffer inside so there's no problem running fuzzes next to it and I can use long cables if I wish.

It isn't what I want tonally so I'll likely keep it in the chain for the buffer and get a RMC Wizard Wah or an RMC Picture Wah
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • DGOM, you'll be very happy with your wah. I've had the 535QC(the chrome version) for about a year now. I used to have a VOX until it fell apart(after 6 years of playing it all the time). It was a great wah, but nowhere near as versatile as the 535.
    I was there.... 10/4/96 Charlotte, 8/4/00 Charlotte, 4/19/03 Atlanta, 10/6/04 Asheville, 5/30/06 DC, 06/22/08 DC, 8/16/08 DC, 8/17/08 DC, 6/14/09 Baltimore, 6/15/09 Baltimore, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/13/10 Bristow
  • DGOM, you'll be very happy with your wah. I've had the 535QC(the chrome version) for about a year now. I used to have a VOX until it fell apart(after 6 years of playing it all the time). It was a great wah, but nowhere near as versatile as the 535.
    exactly what i was hoping to hear. I've read all sorts of reviews that say the same thing as you...so i'm confident i made the correct choice. I can't wait until that baby arrives at my doorstep!

• I don't know the 535. I'll check it out. Thanks.
  • Vox Wah 1st, and the Snarling Dogs Erog Moan next
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    i love my vox wah.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I use the Boss PW-10 V-wah pedal. Best $150 (or whatever it was 3 years ago) I ever spent.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i have a vox v847 that i've completely mutated with a bunch of 535Q type variables and i like it. i don't use wah much though.

i also have a standard crybaby 95 whatever that i built into a parked way pedal with bass and gain boosts. it will actually self-oscillate. it's pretty weird.
  • Alright, that's a crap thread title. What's your favourite wah-wah pedal and why? I'm a Vox man myself. Nice mellow bubbly tone.

My cheapo Dunlop Crybaby does me just fine. But then I've never really branched out with wahs. Can't really be fecked either though.
    scottish by birth, british by law and 'weegie by the grace of god...!!!!! FUCK THE QUEEN!!!
  • I've always preferred the Vox Clyde McCoy myself... but I never really liked wah-wah anyways.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • What is the best Vox wah? I would get the 535q but robert keeley says they cant make those true bypass because of the way their wired? That really sucks. 535Q doesnt already have a true bypass does it?

One thing that concerns me with the wah is that it seems once you have one you become tempted to become a "wah" guitarist. Like it seems u can make anything sound cool with one. Has anyone that has bought one found this?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    The Geoffery Teese Real McCoy line of wah's is my favorite, but pretty much anything with a fasel inductor a big sweep and a mellow top end will work.

Currently I use a morley bad horsie wah because it's switchless and potless therefore it never scratches. It also has a nice buffer inside so there's no problem running fuzzes next to it and I can use long cables if I wish.

It isn't what I want tonally so I'll likely keep it in the chain for the buffer and get a RMC Wizard Wah or an RMC Picture Wah

Whats up Pac?
    Have you heard a wah of fire yet? It is supposed to be a combo of the pic wah and RMC. I am thiking of picking one up for XMas.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    JofZ wrote:
    Whats up Pac?
    Have you heard a wah of fire yet? It is supposed to be a combo of the pic wah and RMC. I am thiking of picking one up for XMas.

not yet, I haven't been to Geoff's site recently. Sounds cool.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    not yet, I haven't been to Geoff's site recently. Sounds cool.

Check it out its pretty sweet. You can also see the FRK-C, I am sure you heard about all the BS?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • I'm pretty partial to my limited editon Gcb-95. Nothing I've really wanted to do that it couldn't handle yet. I also like the fact that it has a better pot and is metal instead of die cast.
    JofZ wrote:
    Check it out its pretty sweet. You can also see the FRK-C, I am sure you heard about all the BS?

Can't find any information on it J. Enlighten me.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Can't find any information on it J. Enlighten me.

http://www.realmccoycustom.com/FK-1.htm

The FK stands for Fuck Keely. There are tons of posts about it over at Muictoyz forum, Gear pages forum and HC.

It got very out of hand as you can imagine.
    They are both stand up guys, so why would Tesse do something like this?

http://musictoyz.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=6476029571&f=4066066091&m=9971024441&r=7511074441#7511074441
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    http://www.realmccoycustom.com/FK-1.htm

The FK stands for Fuck Keely. There are tons of posts about it over at Muictoyz forum, Gear pages forum and HC.

It got very out of hand as you can imagine.
    They are both stand up guys, so why would Tesse do something like this?

http://musictoyz.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=6476029571&f=4066066091&m=9971024441&r=7511074441#7511074441

I don't know. maybe he rubbed Geoff the wrong way or maybe Geoff was just annoyed at the outrageous mod prices for Wah's on Keeley's site.

I've seen this what about the "Fire Wah"
  • It's being speculated that keeley is coming out with a teese wah copy and thats the reason for the jab?

I would like to see how that turns out.

I just recently got a modded tubescreamer from keeley and I too was impressed with the service and quality of product.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I don't know. maybe he rubbed Geoff the wrong way or maybe Geoff was just annoyed at the outrageous mod prices for Wah's on Keeley's site.

I've seen this what about the "Fire Wah"

From Geoff's site, its on the homepage about 3/4's down.

Late in 2003, a client had me build a custom wah which he named the WHEELS OF FIRE wah. Since that initial piece, I have had numerous requests for that same custom wah. While the WOF wah is not part of my production lineup, I have decided to keep it available on a custom-order basis. It is not yet CE certified so it cannot be retailed around the world, just available directly from me. For those of you not familiar with the WOF, it has 2 case mounted controls (Q and Volume [with a battery kill switch]) and one pcb mounted control (Low end resonance). It features the halo inductor from my PICTURE WAH as well as the EMI/RFI filtering from my standard RMC3. The WOF has the same wah sound as the old Wah-Fuzz-Straight Colorsound wahs. The price is $235, delivered to any U.S. address. International postage is only slightly higher.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Cool, thanks.
  • Thought I'd bump this old wah thread seeing as there's another new thread on the topic. The two can meet in the middle, er, intertextually. :)
    Thought I'd bump this old wah thread seeing as there's another new thread on the topic. The two can meet in the middle, er, intertextually. :)

I think they kissed and made up at NAMM last winter, there were some threads about it on gearpage and HC.

As fas as I am concerned there is only one Wah guru and there are many guys who can make other effects ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Hey, anybody know if the 535q is worth 40 more dollars then the original crybaby? whats the difference?
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • katiiekatiie Posts: 2
    Dunno what the difference is because I've not used one, I have a crybaby though and love it.