A virtual private jet to the gearhead who can tell me why I posted this here

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    wow.. i bet she was considered hot back in the day?? is that it??

wasn't she the first one to record a tune with phasing effects? (sounds of airplanes in the hangar?? weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)
    send the jet to my house asap ;)
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Kinda stealing that PJgurl said but...wasn't she the first artist to use the JetFlange(the specific noise) in a recording?

(Send the jet to PJ_Gurl..she can come get me and we'll get some pancakes...because pancakes rock :) )
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Using two reel to reels?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    wow.. i bet she was considered hot back in the day?? is that it??

wasn't she the first one to record a tune with phasing effects? (sounds of airplanes in the hangar?? weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)
    send the jet to my house asap ;)

That is it. You can clearing hear (edit) the flanging starting starting at 1:16. One of the comments said it was electronic phaser. That can't be right, they didn't exist. This was the real flanging effect. You would set up two reel-to-reel players with the same sound. You would synchronize the start (you can't believe how complex that was), and then you would place your finger on the flange of one reel of one tape machine alternately slowing it down and speeding it up. Recording both the unprocessed and "flanged" sound together produced a combing filter effect. Still sounds great.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • Yep, it was reel-to-reel hand flanging. The Big Hurt was the first hit to use it.

According to Wikipedia, though, Bing Crosby's "Happy Holiday" (1942) features flanged horns (oo-er).
    Yep, it was reel-to-reel hand flanging. The Big Hurt was the first hit to use it.

According to Wikipedia, though, Bing Crosby's "Happy Holiday" (1942) features flanged horns (oo-er).

Bing Crosby! I will get a copy of that. You should turn this into a game. I have one. Who was the first person to use a distortion/fuzz pedal. At least, I think I know the answer.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • The story I've heard a few times about fuzz was that a guitarist was laying down his part for a 1961 Marty Robbins song called "Don't Worry". His channel on the sound desk went wonky, but he told the engineer he liked the "fuzzy" effect. So, soon thereafter, the engineer saw a potential new fad and money maker, and tried some experiments replicating this fuzz sound in pedal form. He eventually flogged the Fuzz-Tone to Gibson.
  • Glen Snoddy? Snotty? I forget. He was the engineer.
    The story I've heard a few times about fuzz was that a guitarist was laying down his part for a 1961 Marty Robbins song called "Don't Worry". His channel on the sound desk went wonky, but he told the engineer he liked the "fuzzy" effect. So, soon thereafter, the engineer saw a potential new fad and money maker, and tried some experiments replicating this fuzz sound in pedal form. He eventually flogged the Fuzz-Tone to Gibson.

That is interesting. I had not heard that one. It's like the story I heard, and I cannot remember who the guitarist was supposed to be, about a guitarist with a ripped speaker. He liked the sound so much, he would take a razor to his speakers.

The one I was thinking of was Jeff Beck on the album truth. This was supposedly the first uses of a fuzz pedal by a guitarist.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I actually bet this is the first evidence of thumb on the tape reel "flanging"

right?

you glorious doppler effect you.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:

right?

I've read differing reports about this track, though, I have to admit. I read elsewhere it was an accidental result of phase cancellation when two reel to reel recorders played at an uneven delay from one another, without hand manipulation. The BBC Radiophonic Workshop, however, who did all the music for Doctor Who, were using hand flange in the early and mid-sixties. George Martin ("Tomorrow Never Knows") and George Chiantz (engineer on "Itchycoo Park" and "Bold as Love"), consulted the BBC when trying phasing and flanging. Fascinating stuff!
  • Pacomc79 wrote:

right?

Which is flat out cool as can be! Ah the good old days
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/