Twelve string fingerpicking approaches

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
For fast picking, how do you approach the octave strings?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cut 'em off!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    12-string fingerpicking . . . well, you have to make sure that you follow through on the stroke across the string more than you would on a 6-string - I have to grow my nails a bit longer (but they do get chipped and broken much easier on a 12-string).
    Fingerpicking on a 12-string is difficult thing to do, and it takes quite a bit of practice to get the technique right (make sure you follow through more). Most people fingerpick a 12-string with fingerpicks because of how bad they are on your nails - I still use my own nails (I just like it better because I can actually feel the strings on the fleshy part of my finger).
    If you slowly work on your technique you'll get it. Yes this is one of those times where practice really does make you better at it.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • I never could fingerpick on a 12. I just use a 6 for that, but for rhythm work, Oh man, 12s rule!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V