Internet gig coming up, this Saturday

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'll be doing a solo set, live on http://www.virtualgig.co.uk, on Saturday, 5th August, at 12pm GMT. The show will be archived on that site, too. You have to sign up with the site (for free) to watch it (for free).

I'll bump this up, now and then, until the day, if that's okay.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'll be doing a solo set, live on http://www.virtualgig.co.uk, on Saturday, 5th August, at 12pm GMT. The show will be archived on that site, too. You have to sign up with the site (for free) to watch it (for free).

I'll bump this up, now and then, until the day, if that's okay.

I didn't know such a site existed.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Neither did I. Good idea, though!

There is a US site that does this sort of thing, too. For acoustic-based musicians in, or with access to, CA, there's http://www.kulakswoodshed.com/. Worth checking out. They've got open mic sessions as well as guest nights, and they basically give you a chance to play to a global audience. Well, I've seen it, from here.
  • awesome :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Leeetle bump. I'm using my Sigma twelve string acoustic for the show. It's not a semi, but I'm hoping we get the mic sound just right, anyway. :)
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    let me tell you, setting up a webcam and broudcasting a living room show every now and then for the virtual world is about 1000x more appealing than hauling out for a gig in a bar where no one gives a shit about the music...

i'm not kidding. i think it's awesome.

i mean, it would be tough to play not knowing if anyone was out there but it's still better than playing to a room with a tv over your head showing a fucking hockey game.

i'm going to put this into my calendar and make every effort to watch. and if not, i'll catch the archive.
  • Yep, I think it's a great idea too. Playing in someone's living room and broadcasting to the world: you can't beat it. The people who run this thing have a 24-track desk too, so it should sound nice!

I'm not nervous, really. I've rehearsed a lot, but if I fluff a line on the day, hey, it's no big deal. The guitar sound is the thing I hope to get right. I'll not be doing any twiddly stuff, though. Just chord progressions in DADGAD and CGDGAD, strummed with a little picking here and there.

Cheers for the support, too. :)
    i think i screwed up at least once in almost every song i ever played live in the couple years i did it. i was always nervous until the first note. then i had too much going on to worry about it.

and i'm still bitter about that tv over my head. :D

best of luck.
  • I'm pretty busy this weekend, but I'm definitly checking the archive. Good luck buddy. Break a ... eh... string?
  • pearlwax wrote:
    I'm pretty busy this weekend, but I'm definitly checking the archive. Good luck buddy. Break a ... eh... string?

Don't say THAT!!!! :eek:

:D

Thanks.
  • That is great, man! Good one!
    What better way to get the music out than from a living room, in a pretty comfortable situation, like Exhausted says, no TV over your head, no yakkity yak while you're playing a nice quiet part!

I'll be watching, and I wish you the best, Fins!

Cheers to you
    Bob
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

*Does a wobbly*
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Will the site allow you to watch it at a later time? I'm out during the day but I wouldn't mind listening to it :)
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • It will be archived shortly after. You'll be able to see my big 250lb bulk sweating over the guitar, at any time you choose. :)

Maaaan, I'm worrying about this lift not showing up. I think if I started walking there now, I'd be there in time for tomorrow ...

Does anybody else panic like fuck, before a gig?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Finsy... i'll be in London this weekend but i would like to see this if its archived or whatever... you getting anyone to copy it or anything... i'd be keen to see you in action... not in a gay, i'd caress your manly cheeks type of see you in action.... more a musical appreciation type!!

you go for it man... it'll be good... I want to hear what weird arse tunings you are using ;)

let us all know if we can access the archive of the thing.... i'm too lazy to read the first 11teen posts in which you probably tell us you can/cannot.

i bet you'll be so relaxed when playing you'll have time to read a big book onstage :cool:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • It'll be archived straight after the show, and it'll be streamed from http://www.virtualgig.co.uk. You just have to sign up to watch it, online. It's a nice, professional site, and feeds stream beautifully. Very impressive.
  • Well, it went fine, apart from the fact that it makes me look like Brendan Behan ... :D

It was very hot in that studio, and my guitar did go out of tune a bit, but I just said fugh it, I'll have fun. :)
  • I just watched the archived gig. Nice show buddy :) Good voice.
    that was cool.

reminded me of paddy casey at times.

sometimes people don't like comparisons drawn.

people used to tell me i sounded like so and so, and i'd never heard of them.
  • I like Paddy Casey's stuff. I guess we're Celts with loud voices, and therefore comparisons are well justified! :)
  • I saw no need to spam with a second thread, but I thought I'd just let you know, I'm playing a second gig at the same website, on 2nd December, at 3.00pm GMT (10am in New York, 7am in Seattle). The gig will stream live, and will be archived, too. I've got a few new songs too, to go with the old.

Hope to see you there. I'll have a big beard, this time. ;)
  • I saw no need to spam with a second thread, but I thought I'd just let you know, I'm playing a second gig at the same website, on 2nd December, at 3.00pm GMT (10am in New York, 7am in Seattle). The gig will stream live, and will be archived, too. I've got a few new songs too, to go with the old.

Hope to see you there. I'll have a big beard, this time. ;)

10:00 am it is!
    I have my monthly "art music" gig at an art gallery the night before, and that always turns into an all night party, so I'll either set my alarm, or stay up and watch!

Good luck!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I'm going to add some new songs into the mix this time, and, if I feel so inclined, I'm going to do a bit of the ole DADGAD fingerpickin', too, here and there. I'm a bit bored with plectra, these days!

Thanks. :)
  • HoonHoon Posts: 175
    Another great performance Fins! Your a solid performer. I see growth of your beard and your music. Thanks a a lot for the show and the time, patience and creativity it takes to reach the level you are at.

Everyone should check it out sometime along with the other folk there. The song "Merchant Ivory" is one of my favs of his.

http://www.virtualgig.co.uk is a cool place to check bands out other than at youtube or myspace.
    If you keep yourself as the final arbiter you will be less susceptible to infection from cultural illusion.