Double bass arm strain?

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was "playing" a double bass last night at a jam session. Well, I was trying to play what I'd play on a bass guitar, and occasionally getting away with it. This was a full-size Mingusy bass, not a lil Jeffy upright. My upper left arm is as sore as hell, over twenty four hours later. Is this common?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Like any new motion, it'll take your body a little while to get used to.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • THose are pretty big, and you have to hold your hand up high for a long time, so it takes some getting used to,,,,, I think a good exercise would be to take about a pint of your favorite ale and toast a lot,,,,, left-handed. That might help!

If you remember Thelouderthebetter,,,, she was this board a few years ago. She's a dear friend of mine and she exploded all the myths that you have big hands to be a bass player.
    Five feet tall and just shy of 100 pounds and she used to blast on her double bass! Quite a sight to see. She could actually curl up and sleep in its hard case!
    She played in a punk band in New York too, with a full sized Fender bass and my Ampeg SVT 300 watt with 8X10 cabinet, and used to haul that thing herself to CBGB's!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart