Getting punters to quit yakking through your set

2»

Comments

• StuffnJunk wrote:
    well the biggest bar in my town has cover bands on friday and saturday night where the place is packed to the rafters

then they have acoustic open mic night on wednesdays where anything goes, but you are playing to the bartender and three cockroaches

Open mics are odd events. I think that sometimes they can disorientate the audience: especially where there's no MC and no-one can distinguish by running order, who the established, featured artists and who the beginners are. In some ways that's healthy, in other ways it homogenises the night's music a bit too much, so the audience doesn't really know how to respond. (It's strange how occasionally, some audiences need prompting before they know what's good or not! Not being snobby, that's just an observation.)

There are good open mic events, though, which can be very well attended by supportive audiences.

To go to Voiceless's point, I've witnessed over the years how, for example, some trad folk clubs can be anal in their emphasis on rapt, silent attention to the performer. Except when they start singing along on the choruses, with their flat, nasal tones!
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    In the interest of being a pedantic asshole, I need to pointout to Mr Carrot that the opening question, "how to get punters to stop yakking through YOUR set" quite clearly implies a Mr Carrot on stage.

Thanks, back to normal programmed viewing.

Jeez, I'm bored today. Bloody Wednesday Blues !!

Hey, there's a song title and a subject for anyone who needs a song idea, royalty cheques to me thanks !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • In the interest of being a pedantic asshole, I need to pointout to Mr Carrot that the opening question, "how to get punters to stop yakking through YOUR set" quite clearly implies a Mr Carrot on stage.

Thanks, back to normal programmed viewing.

Jeez, I'm bored today. Bloody Wednesday Blues !!

Hey, there's a song title and a subject for anyone who needs a song idea, royalty cheques to me thanks !!

Er, nope. If I'd said "MY" set, yes. "YOUR" set denotes "YOU", not "ME".

;)