Hurdy gurdy players?

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Serious question. Anybody here play a hurdy gurdy?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ok, well, I've PLAYED a hurdy gurdy, but that doesn't mean I PLAY a hurdy gurdy! I have a friend who has one and I'd love to pick one up.
    I think I chased all wildlife away for a mile around when I tried playing that sucker. I love the sound of them, though.

Thinking about going for one?
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • I can get a squawk or two out of one. I'm going to finish up a little album project I've been planning, on a teeny tiny studio in Yorkshire, in the next month or two. The chief engineer is a hurdy gurdy player, and I've been thinking about whether non-Dead/folk fans like the sound of it.

By the way, you know I did a little demo in London in January, in this tiny studio the size of a matchbox? I found out Prince was doing some recording there the other week. :eek: I have sung into the same mic, and pissed into the same toilet as Prince! :D

I'm sure he plays hurdy gurdy. He plays everything fookin' else. :D
  • I think the sound of one in the background could add a nice ambiance to a song.

I doubt I ever sang into the same mike as Prince, but I think I did pee in the same toilet in a club in Minneapolis.

Small world! You peed in the same terlet as Prince, and so did I on the other side of the Atlantic. And a couple of months ago I think you and I probably used the same terlet at the Green Wax pub, or Green something or other. (Unless you wandered into the ladies room!) (Or unless I wandered into the ladies room! )
    Who'da thunk toilets bring the world together as one.
    Be kind, man

I doubt I ever sang into the same mike as Prince, but I think I did pee in the same toilet in a club in Minneapolis.

Small world! You peed in the same terlet as Prince, and so did I on the other side of the Atlantic. And a couple of months ago I think you and I probably used the same terlet at the Green Wax pub, or Green something or other. (Unless you wandered into the ladies room!) (Or unless I wandered into the ladies room! )
    Who'da thunk toilets bring the world together as one.

And you pissed in the same toilet as Captain Beefheart. :D Man, I hope some of that asteroid juice rubs off on me. :cool:
  • And you pissed in the same toilet as Captain Beefheart. :D Man, I hope some of that asteroid juice rubs off on me. :cool:

Haha,,,, well, true dat! I pretty much have asteroid juice running through my brain, anymore! Maybe I passed some on when we toasted a Guinness!

Cheers Fins,,,, I'm out for the night!
    Be kind, man

http://www.myspace.com/cyrilpahinui
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Hurdy Gurdy plus Phaser effects and trems can yield some wonderful textures.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I think that would be an interesting sound to add. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • This thread has been in my head, because every time I listen to "The Memory Remains", I wonder which bit is being played on the hurdy gurdy there y MArianne Faithful.

So, I did a wiki search today , and realised my confusion was being caused by barrel organs also being referred to as hurdy gurdys.

I take it the melody at teh end of Memory is hurdy gurdy. I always thought it was Kirk just using a really rich harmonic-filled tone.

Any commetn Fins ??
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I think there was a Hurdy Gurdy in the video they made for that, but my memory might be playing tricks with me.