Sound of Matt's HitHat on new album

Betterman77Betterman77 Posts: 92
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Is it just me or does the sound of Matt's hi hat sound really different than normal? Like on the song inside job really sounds different, just wonder if anyone has noticed the sound of it at all like I did?
"Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
"Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
"Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
"Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    you're thinking of the drums on st anger.......
  • I agree, especially on "Severed Hand." I don't know how that man does it sometimes.
    Quiet Patriot for the World's Revolution
  • Betterman77Betterman77 Posts: 92
    brain of c wrote:

I dunno, its just that some songs the sound of his kit sounds really different type of sound to it, Not bad in any way just very different, I wonder if he used special kind of sticks or hardware on his kit at times.
    "Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
    "Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
    "Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
    "Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"
  • deadhead321deadhead321 Posts: 66
    according to the CD booklet...three drummers contributed in the studio in addition to matt...so that could be the reason?
    Bonnaroo -- 2008
    MSG II -- 2008
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    according to the CD booklet...three drummers contributed in the studio in addition to matt...so that could be the reason?

Huh??

I don't think so, I think that was just like "drum tech" type guys......
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • according to the CD booklet...three drummers contributed in the studio in addition to matt...so that could be the reason?

That's just "In Studio Crew", which means drum techs.

There's a variety of reasons why the hi-hats sound different. He could have used different types/brands on different songs, the hi-hit mic could have been positioned differently, or perhaps they did some engineering magic on the console.
  • joshwestjoshwest Posts: 3
    matt has been known to use ambient mic's to so that prob has alot to do with it. I think matt's drumming is superb on the album. but i know he uses all dif size/type cymbals all the time so he migh tof just switched to something else on it. I just think he should go back to straight stands on letterman his cymbals were flying all over the place.
  • drum5150drum5150 Posts: 2
    yeah those are just studio techs listed in teh back of the booklet. i love how there is one guy to handle all of Ed's, Mike's, and Stone's guitars and Matt gets three guys for his drums! brilliant!
  • brain of c wrote:

HAHAHA!!.... what?
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • Survo-Survo- Posts: 72
    HAHAHA!!.... what?

Its a Metallica album, their most recent which caued a major blacklash by "fans"

The snare drum had no snare on it the whole album, and overall the production was crap, but it was intended to sound that way. Also the drop c guitars killed it, along with no guitar solos.
  • ktwpsgktwpsg Posts: 4
    You guys gotta be kidding me. Matt's drumming is SO BORING!! That fella has no vibe, no groove, no spirituality in his drumming. Sure, he can pound his skins hard, but thats all to it, nothing else. Just like a robot or a drum machine. And he has to resort to changing drums or using studio effects to make his drumming sound more "interesting"? That to me is just covering up his BORING DRUMMING.

Boooo!!! Matt Cameron SUCKS!!

Jack Irons is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Matt!