playing guitar with the cd

Betterman77Betterman77 Posts: 92
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok im just wondering about what other guitar players do when they play along with a pearl jam cd, I usually play all the chords and small riffs exactally like the cd when im playing along, but when solo's such as Alive or EVen Flow, or any kind of solo that is long or fast I don't play it like the cd i mean it sounds like theres 2 different guitars playing different leads at the same time cause obviously there's Mike's solo off the cd, then there is me, Im playing in the right key cause it matches in tune, but I just find it time consuming to try to learn the whole solo's to be played note for note, so im wondering how you all do it when you play along?
"Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
"Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
"Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
"Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• That's my problem...I don't mean to sound cocky, but I kick ass at rhythem, it's soloing. I can't stay in key, and if I do it's for the first like 3 bars and that's it.

When something like that comes up I play half my own solo and improvise and then i throw in some parts from the studio version...for example, the first part of the Alive solo I play and then I play what I want...then during the 2nd part, I play what I want and then play part of the ending of it.

Edit: If I play to PJ I like to play to live stuff because most of the time Mike or Stone are improvising instead of the "real" solo

If it's other bands like Zeppelin I do what I said before.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • J.D.J.D. Posts: 73
    I like to learn other people's solos, helps to expand your chops. It can be time consuming but it's worth it to me. I play along to Pj and other CDs at least twice a week. It's good to rock out with a band when you're not in one otherwise.
  • J.D. wrote:
    I like to learn other people's solos, helps to expand your chops. It can be time consuming but it's worth it to me. I play along to Pj and other CDs at least twice a week. It's good to rock out with a band when you're not in one otherwise.

Agreed. Subconsiously using many other guitarists' small licks helps define your own style.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • andychandych Posts: 130
    play along with all stles of music,jazz,blues,rock,reggae-even classical..
    worked for me
    dead head

Bern 13/9/06
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    Agreed. Subconsiously using many other guitarists' small licks helps define your own style.
    100% true

what i did which is helping me heaps is go to http://www.giventowail.com, print out all the evenflow solos they ahve there (5 or 6), then play them and learn them, even if you cant play them to speed as long as you learn the licks etc. then at the end you can play and improvise your own and you will subconciously use licks etc you learnt

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    what i do is:

1) tape record myself playing the chords to songs on acoustic like alive, yellow ledbetter, black, immortality, (as well as all kinds of non PJ shit)

2) smoke a "jazz cigarette"

3) play back the acoustic track on my stereo and solo over it on my electric

its much better to hear a clear rhythm track of just acoustic than trying to play along to the actual recording, in my opinion..........of course the other option is to find an actual human being to play rhythm!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • CortoCorto Posts: 36
    When I play on a CD or even if we make covers with my band, I juste play the same chords and the same riffs, but solo or lead are never the same. Never.
    "all you need to play guitar is five strings, three notes, two fingers, and one asshole!" Keith Richards