How many of you use Compression?

Betterman77Betterman77 Posts: 92
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok up until recently i never really used compression with my distortion much at all, only if played lead parts or shreds etc, anyways I find that using compression all the time even when playing chords and stuff makes the guitar sound way better the crunch is tight and chords sound really solid, im just wondering if other players use compression alot?
"Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
"Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
"Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
"Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ok up until recently i never really used compression with my distortion much at all, only if played lead parts or shreds etc, anyways I find that using compression all the time even when playing chords and stuff makes the guitar sound way better the crunch is tight and chords sound really solid, im just wondering if other players use compression alot?

hey,

i use it 100% of the time, except with acoustic. Im considering taking it out of my floor setup, and just looping it through the amp its self just to save room, etc. I have the last Shannon one, and i love it, almost with i could have another. Anyways it really is a nice way to polish off a great tone

Harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I use it all the time with distortion, and 50% with with cleans.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • it's not a bad idea to use it all the time...

but as i only have a footswitch i use it on and off.

i LOVE my compressor.. i couldn't imagine playing without it.

i use a Boss Comp. by the way.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • i don't use one. it's on my list after i pick up a Boss Dm-2/3
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    I have one, but never use it.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Mines a Dynacomp.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    it's not a bad idea to use it all the time...

but as i only have a footswitch i use it on and off.

i LOVE my compressor.. i couldn't imagine playing without it.

i use a Boss Comp. by the way.

Is it the CS-3. That's what I have, and never touch it. What settings do you use?
  • Is it the CS-3. That's what I have, and never touch it. What settings do you use?
    Why yes it is :cool:

I like to turn the Attack and Sustain up past 12 o'clock so i get a really sharp sound...

the level i keep at about 9 o'clock to squish the sound (so it actually Compresses )and acts as a limiter.

Tone's up to you but i like it at about 12 o'clock.

"Make our day"
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Since compression actually puts a cap on the volume of your performance, and well...compresses the dynamics of the instrument, I find it interesting in use for shredding or soloing. Those two things (leads and shredding) rely heavily on dynamics...dynamics that are surely impacted by compression.

But hey...there are no rules. Use what makes you happy, and gives you the sound you want. Just that I wouldn't use compression for that as a recording engineer...though recording vs. live performance are two different animals :)
    enharmonic wrote:
    Since compression actually puts a cap on the volume of your performance, and well...compresses the dynamics of the instrument, I find it interesting in use for shredding or soloing. Those two things (leads and shredding) rely heavily on dynamics...dynamics that are surely impacted by compression.

But hey...there are no rules. Use what makes you happy, and gives you the sound you want. Just that I wouldn't use compression for that as a recording engineer...though recording vs. live performance are two different animals :)

That's primarily why I don't use it. I like to have total control over my instrument when I'm playing leads.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I never play without my PGC!
    There are different types of compression and depending on your style and tone you need to experiment. The most common ones are Ross type and the Orange Squeezer. The problems with both of them for me was the noise it added to my signal. The PGC is a comp for people who don't really like comps. It is dead silent and can go to full squish. It can really be transparent and therefore it never gets turned off. I sold my Analogman Bi Comp simply because it was so noisy. I get great picking dynamics as well.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • ive wanted one but i just dont think its worth spending 100$ on
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • ive wanted one but i just dont think its worth spending 100$ on
    i don't think i paid that much... maybe 80$?

but anyway..

compression is great for solos... depending on what you're doing...

for example..

Go, Breakerfall, Animal.. those realllly fast blistering solos mike does he usually uses compression on. (tons of it on Binaural),..

but the more contimplated solos it is best to have that dynamic.

it's got to be used sparingly to be effective.

"Make our day"
  • I use it a lot.
    I have a BYOC Ross Comp.