Help seting up my acoustic

Betterman77Betterman77 Posts: 92
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi there I got an ovation acoustic guitar, action is kinda high, does anyone know of a good website with good instructions and pics for setting up an acoustic guitar, i would really appreciate some info, thanks
"Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
"Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
"Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
"Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What do you mean "setting up" ?

Do you mean micing it?

i can give you some help with that.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • By setting up I mean action, intonation etc.... sorry i wasn't more specific.

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
    "Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
    "Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
  • You will have to have the saddle, nut, or both filed down so the string sit lower. Best left to pros.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    A setup shouldn't cost you more than 30 or 40. And if you just bought the thing the store should set it up for you, especially before you buy if its not to your taste. I had my guitar teacher setup my acoustic for the first time in is 4.5 year life span over the summer. It needed the action lowered a bit and the truss adjusted for some bowing in the neck, ran me like $33 US.
  • Actually found a site that told me reasonable string height measurement, my strings were a little high which was making it feel like the strings were stiff and harder to push down on the fret board especially while doing bar chords, i tightened the truss rod just about a quarter turn like it said and the guitar actually plays better than before, so I think it helped a bit, i know a pro should do it, but i have none close to my area at all, plus i was very carefull with the truss rod not to tighten it hard, seems to be fine now.

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
    "Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
    "Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"