Sub Woofer question

Betterman77Betterman77 Posts: 92
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok Im trying to get the best possible bass from my sub, now i have heard people tell me that if you aim the front (part at which the sound pushes out from) against the corner of a wall which would be facing away from you, that you get the best bass sound, is that true?
"Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
"Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
"Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
"Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    "Best" is very subjective. Loudest? Possibly. Clearest? Unlikely. Can't do any harm to try it out, though. Listen for yourself, it will depend a lot on room size/shape, too.
  • #105#105 Posts: 5
    Depends On How Many Different Speakers . With Different Ranges

And Room Size And Shape
    morning
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Ahh, the old "let's use the wall to create a bass load" trick.

do it the right way, calculate the nodes in your room, then make sure you have the right crossover frequency dialed in, as well as proper phase. Pointing it at a corner will give you the perception of more bass, but it's actually little more than distortion.

You gonna make me put my physics hat on at 11pm EST? :p
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Bass frequencies can use corners, especially regular 90* corners, to emphasize bass in a room. It isn't necessary to "point" the sub into the corner, because low frequencies aren't very directional. Just placing the sub in a corner will cause it to be louder throughout the room than if you placed it along a wall or in the middle of the room.

In fact, most recording studios use what are called "bass traps" in the corners of the studio rooms to absorb this bass energy, because it's an unnatural boost to the bass frequencies.

So, it depends... do you want natural bass, or accentuated bass?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Bass frequencies can use corners, especially regular 90* corners, to emphasize bass in a room. It isn't necessary to "point" the sub into the corner, because low frequencies aren't very directional. Just placing the sub in a corner will cause it to be louder throughout the room than if you placed it along a wall or in the middle of the room.

In fact, most recording studios use what are called "bass traps" in the corners of the studio rooms to absorb this bass energy, because it's an unnatural boost to the bass frequencies.

So, it depends... do you want natural bass, or accentuated bass?

Well I just want to get the most good deep pounding bass out of my sub. So i was just wondering where to postion it and which way to point it to get that best result. I just have my system set up with 2 main speakers and my sub with a four corner living room.
    "Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
    "Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
    "Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
    "Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Well I just want to get the most good deep pounding bass out of my sub. So i was just wondering where to postion it and which way to point it to get that best result. I just have my system set up with 2 main speakers and my sub with a four corner living room.

Then put the sub in the corner, about 4" from both walls. Like I said, it really doesn't matter where you point it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.