Recording Vocals

afaridafarid Posts: 177
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have been talking vocals lesson for a year now. I practice my songs with my teacher and he tells me I sing them perfectly. However when I record them myself I just dont do that good. I try to double everythings and there are always some notes which end up being sharp or flat. I can never get two perfect takes. Do you think it is a good idea to let some one else record my vocals. Do you have any suggestions.
Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
Montreal 03, 05
Kitchener 03
Ottawa 05
New Jersey 06
Chicago 07
Washington DC 08
NYC 08
EDDIE 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• there is hardly any perfect singers out there, the ones that are, we all know about allready. But it could very well come down to hardware/software choices. Could you please give me a list of everything in your signal chain, from microphone to the (hopefully) computer software your using. Then ill eb able to see whats happening. Because i know what you mean when your just singing live it sounds allright but once you record you notice the errors, this happens to almost everybody, and thankfully to the innovative recording world, i know some sollutions!

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • afaridafarid Posts: 177
    I used sm58 into the mbox using Protools.
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
  • afarid wrote:
    I used sm58 into the mbox using Protools.

hey, classic set up, and i am familiar with it. Now... Do you have an effects bundle? or just what came with protools (which is actually insufficient assuming you have Protools 7.x LE) Because it woudl be a great idea to invest into that. I know of an AMAZING plugin that works with protools for vocal editing, and it honestly takes vocal tracks from being average, to studio quality. Every record in the last 10 years has used vocal editing so don't feel bad about "Cheating" your sound. It refines the overall product, and you have to be a good singer before you start working with them anyways, if your bad then they just make you sound funny, but if you lay down a near perfect track, some vocal editing software i know that works as an Audiosuite real time plug in will work wonders for you...get back to me

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • afaridafarid Posts: 177
    thanks man.
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
  • afarid wrote:
    thanks man.

i pm'd you with my email, if you have msn feel free to add me

• PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Im not trying to sound negative or anything, but maybe you just need a little more practice. It can only get better, right?
  • PJ-Sin wrote:
    Im not trying to sound negative or anything, but maybe you just need a little more practice. It can only get better, right?

live singing and studio singing are two completely different talents...

• RSRRSR Posts: 44
    Melodyne .... one of the more transparent solo instrument/vocal tuning apps (unless you are really really bad hehe j/k)
    I've been a Pearl Jam fan since I was 13 and first heard Ament's opening to Jeremy on the radio. To this day, Pearl Jam continues to inspire and challenge me to not just be better, but to be great.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Not everything needs to be doubled.

Tell me about your headphone mix.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    PJ-Sin wrote:

Not if the problem is the headphone mix. ;)

He might be fine, but fighting against what he's hearing.