Writing a Song

afaridafarid Posts: 177
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
When writing a song in the key of "G" can I use the E major or a A major chord even if it is not in the key of G. And if I can than which key do I solo in.
I would appreciate it of you guys can help me out.

Thanks
Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
Montreal 03, 05
Kitchener 03
Ottawa 05
New Jersey 06
Chicago 07
Washington DC 08
NYC 08
EDDIE 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    afarid wrote:
    When writing a song in the key of "G" can I use the E major or a A major chord even if it is not in the key of G. And if I can than which key do I solo in.

Thanks

Although A and E are in G Major, if I remember enough of my music theory, they're not major chords, but minor.

You can solo in either G major, or the relative minor, which is E minor. Hope this helps.
  • afaridafarid Posts: 177
    Can I use A major and E major in the key of G major
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
    afarid wrote:
    Can I use A major and E major in the key of G major

I don't think so. Here's the scale of G Major: G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, G

Now while A and E are in there, they're in the ii and vi positions. From what I remember, the chords in a key go like this. Anything in caps in major, lowercase minor, and since its major, the seventh, F# in this instance is diminished.

I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi-vii*-I

So you have G major, A minor, B minor, C major, D major, E minor, F# diminished, and then back to G major.

Again, I hope this makes sense and I'm not just talking out of my ass.
  • afaridafarid Posts: 177
    Thanks man, and you are not talking out of your ass. However what do you make of songs like "alive" which has E, G, D, A all major chords in the chrous. Are they playing in different keys.
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    afarid wrote:

Thanks
    My 2 cents is that if you are writing a rock song then who cares. Write what you feel and think sounds good. One of the beauties of rock and roll is that there are no rules.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
    afarid wrote:
    Thanks man, and you are not talking out of your ass. However what do you make of songs like "alive" which has E, G, D, A all major chords in the chrous. Are they playing in different keys.

Aside from all the theory, I should've just said, if it sounds good, do it!
  • surferdude wrote:
    My 2 cents is that if you are writing a rock song then who cares. Write what you feel and think sounds good. One of the beauties of rock and roll is that there are no rules.
    ^^^

Monster is correct in all of that stuff but i have to agree with surferdude.

Some of the most effective solos in rock music are during parts of the song that change key ("Don't Fear The Reaper" - B.O.C., "Driven To Tears" - The Police, I think Rhinocerous by the Smashing Pumpkins all come to mind).
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    moster78 wrote:
    I don't think so. Here's the scale of G Major: G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, G

Now while A and E are in there, they're in the ii and vi positions. From what I remember, the chords in a key go like this. Anything in caps in major, lowercase minor, and since its major, the seventh, F# in this instance is diminished.

I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi-vii*-I

So you have G major, A minor, B minor, C major, D major, E minor, F# diminished, and then back to G major.

Again, I hope this makes sense and I'm not just talking out of my ass.

You just tied a whole lot of loose ends in my music theory knowledge. Thanks!
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    You just tied a whole lot of loose ends in my music theory knowledge. Thanks!

You're welcome. But really, thank wikipedia for clarifying everything I thought I remembered.
  • Disregard all this theory for a moment and just listen. Do you like it?!
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?