Heres a gOOD QUESTION REGARDING GUITAR STRINGS>>>>

AliAli Posts: 2,621
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Does anyone make guitar strings especially for acoustic/electrics?

allison vigh
A whisper and a thrill
A whisper and a chill
adv2005

"Why do I bother?"
The 11th Commandment.
"Whatever"

PETITION TO STOP THE BAN OF SMOKING IN BARS IN THE UNITED STATES....Anyone?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Ali wrote:
    Does anyone make guitar strings especially for acoustic/electrics?

allison vigh

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure acoustic/electric guitars generally have acoustic strings on them.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    No such animal as acoustic electric strings. If you see a set, it's just marketing hype. Builders have their own ideas about how to best capture the acoustic electric sound, so your best bet is to play as many as you can to see which one sounds the most like the sound you hear in your head when you think acoustic-electric :)
  • AliAli Posts: 2,621
    I know Mc and enharmonic.
    I have this ovation elec/acoustic and I was so befuddled walking into the store...didn't even know what kind to get,totally relying on the salesman at russos.He gave me a really light gauge,and I got home and was like,
    This 'll never last for me...I'll break a string the way that I play on this guitar,so I changed them in for medium.Half way through the ride home,I thought,"Some technician can really make alot of money manufacturing
    guitar strings for acoustic/electrics.It's just a whole new market."

allison vigh
    A whisper and a thrill
    A whisper and a chill
    adv2005

"Why do I bother?"
    The 11th Commandment.
    "Whatever"

• nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    You're better off getting a heavy gauge than I light gauge...it may be harder to play, but the rhythms will sound 10 times better and it will (should) make you a better player overall in the long run.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • AliAli Posts: 2,621
    nailz100 wrote:
    You're better off getting a heavy gauge than I light gauge...it may be harder to play, but the rhythms will sound 10 times better and it will (should) make you a better player overall in the long run.
    Yea...I taded em for med d'addarrios.
    It would be nice if soime PJ tech invented Acoustic/electric guitar strings,though:D

Wink,wink.
    A whisper and a thrill
    A whisper and a chill
    adv2005

"Why do I bother?"
    The 11th Commandment.
    "Whatever"

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Here's the one thing I have learned that seems to be universal

Big necks + big strings = big tone.

It really depends on the type of acoustic and the pickup system. If you are playing an Ovation, you should use traditional acoustic strings. I use John Pearse strings on my Goodall, which features an L.R. Baggs pickup. Sounds quite lovely. You should be fine with any acoustic strings (steel, not nylon).

Good luck :)