Question for Drummers...

GreasyBastardGreasyBastard Posts: 14
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
What do you call it when the bass drum is setup like this?

http://www.shadygrady.net/gallery/p...RW_8143_RT8.htm

Is that still called 'double bass'?
Thunder Bay - 2005
Toronto - 2003
Cincinnati - 2000
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The link you posted didn't work... but I assume it's this one:

http://www.shadygrady.net/gallery/images/CRW_8143_RT8.jpg

I've seen that before, it's supposed to add more low-end to the sound of the kick. It's primarily used for mic'ing the drum.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    What's he done connected them together or are they just sitting one infront of other...never seen that before.
    Tav wrote:
    What's he done connected them together or are they just sitting one infront of other...never seen that before.

They're just one in front of the other.

If I remember right, the guy with Gov't Mule does the same thing.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    Most strange...so the air pushed from first just pushes onto the second...why not just have one long drum? Surely that would yeid better results? How much gap between them?
    Well, I've not worked with them enough to know. My guess is that some guy in a studio decided to give it a shot, since they can try just about anything, and they liked the sound and started telling folks.

There isn't much of a gap between the two drums.

My guess is it provides all the body of the kick, but none of the beater snap.
  • I'm not sure but i think it's called a muffler and what it does is that you can remove it from song to song. The Attachment bass head will either be tuned lower or higher to get the right sound for the specific sound. You'd only use it a gig as it's far quiker than just tuning the whole bass drum down for one song.
    If anyone has any good ideas for band names PM me cause me and my band are amazingly stuck for ideas. Darn that band Pearl Jam for having such a cool name