Options

which amp?

GrungeminionGrungeminion Posts: 28
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
im getting a new amp, and i use a fender mex stratocaster and digitech gnx3 .
I have my eye on these TWO amps but i dont know which one is better i need help!
im only going to buy one and please dot recommend any others or different sites for purchasing this is the cheapest for me because of shipping because i live in ireland all american sites charge a shit load to ship shit to europe

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_marshall_mg100dfx_prodinfo.html#fpix
http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_fender_princeton_65_prodinfo.html
THE SKY IS BLUE,
and all the leaves are green,
MY HEARTS AS FULL AS A BAKED POTATO.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I've tried the Marshall MG series (actually a lower watt one) and I wasn't impressed. The overdrive channel was shrill and thin. But maybe a bigger one sounds better. The digital effects weren't great. I won't recommend any other amp (like you've told me) so I like the Fender! I bet that the clean channel sounds a whole lot better!
    We also have to know what style of music is it for.
    PJ + AIC = LoveThemBones
  • Options
    yea the mg series isnt to great...but cant usually go wrong with a fender unless you are gonna play some high gain stuff...cause they just dont distort that great.
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    I,d be using it to play pearl jam ,rage against the machine , alice in chains , mad season , some foo's+green day and metallaica .
    perhaps even korn-- (just to play live with the band get the crowd going:-)

i dont really mind other suggestions for amps as long as thery're on the site the other two are on, my buget is E500.
    THE SKY IS BLUE,
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ok I have experience with both of these. The sound you want is in the Marshall. Just be gentle with the input jack I've seen a few of them break. Fender's dyna touch series sucks more ass than virtually any other amp line on the face of the earth, half of them are DOA. I'd stay away from that series everything else from fender I basically like. The Marshall is decent and should suit your needs well for a couple of years if the above bands are the ones you're looking to sound like I think the Marshall suits you better, I LOVE fenders but avoid the dyna touch series like the plague.

Try looking at a Marshall AVT It should be on this site. The AVTs are a vast step up in quality for not to much more money. Look into them as well.

this is a good one. You can always save a little longer. Quality is good to buy.

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_artikel-144482.html
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    im sellen a westfield les paul copy to raise enough money quickly to buy this at christmas rather than wait and attempt to save and get it later eg the summer, i got to get it soon for the band im in i relly can't leave it past xmas. we all got what we need except me ive got a shit amp 20 watt, good guitar, good peadal, so all i need is a good amp so its got to be under 500
    THE SKY IS BLUE,
  • Options
    Ah. Get the MG100 then. Plenty of power though you could always mike it. I use a 15 watt Orange. You need it by Christmas get the MG100 it should serve you well. To bad I have a Fender Ultimate Chorus sitting at the house I'd sell you cheap. I wish I could carry it on a plane and come to Ireland for a pint of Guiness. You gotta get it now so you'll make the band and that amp should have plenty of power to get the job done. I think Low Light uses the same amp in his band. Good luck. I hope you make it. I know that's the sound you are looking for.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Grungeminion
    I,d be using it to play pearl jam ,rage against the machine , alice in chains , mad season , some foo's+green day and metallaica .
    perhaps even korn-- (just to play live with the band get the crowd going:-)

Yeah, I agree with Paco. You need hi-gain, so you need either a Marshall or a Mesa Boogie (or something similar). Unfortunately, in that price range... you aren't going to get a great amp. But you can get a good amp.

I went looking through that site, and I found a couple models I might recommend...

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_peavey_bandit_112s_prodinfo.html

The Peavey Bandits that I've played in the states actually sound pretty good. It has different voicing options on both the clean and dirty channels to give you a wide variety of sound options, and if you add one of Peavey's 1x12" extention cabinets, you get a really good micro-stack. Especially since the extention cab is sealed, so it gets better bass response.

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_peavey_classic30_prodinfo.html

The Peavey Classic 30 is an all-tube amp that sounds very similar to Fender's Hot Rod series. That price is a little higher, but for tubes, I'd be spending the extra few euros.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    The Peavey Classic 30 is an all-tube amp that sounds very similar to Fender's Hot Rod series. That price is a little higher, but for tubes, I'd be spending the extra few euros.

I recommend the Classic 30. It's the best bang-for-the-euro as far as tube amps are concerned.

Even if you still feel it doesn't have enough pre-amp gain, you can always push it further with an overdrive pedal like a TS-9 or SD-1.
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    He already has a multi-FX unit he's familiar with.

For the sounds he's shooting for, a DS-1 would probably be the best overdrive pedal to use, anyways.
  • Options
    guys 500 is the cap period. He has to get it in a month 579 is too much so thats why I had to go with the marshall. 2x12's a hundred watts and a marshall preamp. Maybe a DS-1 later but it's now or never I think for him so that's why I went with the marshall. he said earlier he looked at the AVT's but they were too expensive Classic 30 is a great amp though for the money.
  • Options
    Well, then the Peavey Bandit II. With the extention cabinet, it would be plenty loud.
  • Options
    Well, then the Peavey Bandit II. With the extention cabinet, it would be plenty loud.

yeah I had friends that played with the old bandits the Transtube circuitry is pretty good.
  • Options
    The Bandit II (new generation) has three different voicings on the gain channel: Vintage (Bassman), Hi-Gain (Marshall) and Modern (Mesa). And they're pretty good. The vintage is sorta weak compared to the real thing, but the Hi-Gain and Modern sounds are pretty good. I played a Korina Explorer thru one a few months ago, and was more impressed with the amp than the guitar. But I can't emphasize the extension cab enough... it's very important! I love Sheffield speakers...
  • Options
    The Bandit II (new generation) has three different voicings on the gain channel: Vintage (Bassman), Hi-Gain (Marshall) and Modern (Mesa). And they're pretty good. The vintage is sorta weak compared to the real thing, but the Hi-Gain and Modern sounds are pretty good. I played a Korina Explorer thru one a few months ago, and was more impressed with the amp than the guitar. But I can't emphasize the extension cab enough... it's very important! I love Sheffield speakers...

I think you love extension cabs Yngwie. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I think you love extension cabs Yngwie. :)

Soon I shall control all of the world's guitar cabinets.... MWAHAHAHA!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks all for the help i appriciate it im going to try get a hold of a marshall and try it out, my causen has a princeton 50 watt so i'll comare and judge
    THE SKY IS BLUE,
  • Options
    Originally posted by Grungeminion
    Thanks all for the help i appriciate it im going to try get a hold of a marshall and try it out, my causen has a princeton 50 watt so i'll comare and judge

when you buy the Marshall let us know how you like it. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    when you buy the Marshall let us know how you like it. :)

I think its relly good and im glad i bought it of the the princeton fender amp......
    What it didnt tell me on the site is turning out to be quite nice suprises like theres 2 channels per chanell and thes two channels ie Clean/crunch and od1/od2 and the amp has fdd (fequency dependent dampining) which adds depth to its sound
    The distorion is adequet for my needs also

I've only played it for 1hour and a half but so far its all good
    THE SKY IS BLUE,
  • Options
    My neighbour im sure wont be happy that i got a new loud 100watt, but they cant complain because their son plays drums over there
    THE SKY IS BLUE,
  • Options
    Cool, maybe you guys can start a band.