Please explain what the hell this equip does

triple ctriple c Posts: 35
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41474&item=3722461964&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

a buddy found this same mixer in his basement at school. neither of us have a clue what the hell it does. help an amateur out please.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    It's a powered mixer... also called a "PA Head".

Basically, it has 4 channels. You can put four different signal sources into it (microphones, instruments, etc) and blend the signals together, and then send the signal out through the internal amplifier to 1 or 2 speaker(s). The unfortunate thing with the specific one you showed here, is that the inputs are all 1/4" inputs. More modern versions would have XLR inputs as well, which are what professional microphones use. You could use cheap Radio Shack mics with that, or get adapter cables, but it won't give you the best possible result. But if you want a cheap system to use for vocals for practice, or if you need a cheap keyboard or bass amp, that might be the way to go. Hell, when my old drummer blew up my Fender amp (long story), I picked up an old Peavey PA head (older than that one, even) and used that for my guitar amp for a while. And it wasn't that bad.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.