Help W/ My New 4 Track Please

triple ctriple c Posts: 35
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
DISCLAIMER:I am a ROOKIE with equipment stuff

I bought a tascam 4 track yesterday (steppin up from my little cassette recorder). It came with mic and its cord, headphones, and a cassette. I get home from guitar center and Im ready to rock and roll. I read the instructions and its tellin me i need a seperate tape deck. Shit.

What do i need aside from the 4 track just to record?
Is the seperate tape deck for recording onto a final format after mixing?

Shit i dont even know if Im askin the right things here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    you don't need the second tape deck for recording. you're right. it's just for recording your final two track mix.

all you need to record is the 4-track, the mic and some headphones to monitor with.
  • triple ctriple c Posts: 35
    Would you suggest using the mic for recording guitar tracks or wire it straight to the 4 track?
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i like to plug straight in to the 4 track, myself.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Does this thing have a mic preamp with an XLR input (1/2" circle with three peg holes)? If so, you might consider getting a better mic like a Shure SM57. If it's just got 1/4" inputs, then you would need an external preamp, which would get pricey. If it has a dedicated 1/4" hi-Z instrument input, that would work, but it's not going to get the same tone as you would get out of a mic'ed up guitar amp. I'd try both ways and see which you prefer the sound of.

I just saw a Roland 8-track digi recorder in a pawn shop for $450. It only has 1/4" inputs, but it has MIDI and digital outputs, plus a Zip drive. It's almost tempting. The same place had new mag wheels and tires that would fit my car for $350...

Of course, I'm broke. Damn.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.