My new tele creation debuts at band practice.

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, I played my new creation last night... the House53 Signature Tele... it really worked well in the band context.

We all know the tele is a great rhythm guitar, this one is no exception, and the clarity when you throw some gain on top is wonderful...

The neck feels great... I was loving the whole setup. I can't wait for the next gig, April 10th to try it out for a few songs... I used to keep a guitar as a backup, now I think I will rotate between the SG and the tele. Although, I will admit, the tele got almost all the play time last night.

The Ghia and the tele get along great.

Now we have to see if the SG gets jealous of the competition.

I even thought about trading the SG for a tele with humbuckers last night, but I know that is a passing notion... I think...

What do you all suppose the trade value would be on a Townshend Sig SG? I have to consider all possibilities.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by House53
    Well, I played my new creation last night... the House53 Signature Tele... it really worked well in the band context.

We all know the tele is a great rhythm guitar, this one is no exception, and the clarity when you throw some gain on top is wonderful...

The neck feels great... I was loving the whole setup. I can't wait for the next gig, April 10th to try it out for a few songs... I used to keep a guitar as a backup, now I think I will rotate between the SG and the tele. Although, I will admit, the tele got almost all the play time last night.

The Ghia and the tele get along great.

Now we have to see if the SG gets jealous of the competition.

I even thought about trading the SG for a tele with humbuckers last night, but I know that is a passing notion... I think...

What do you all suppose the trade value would be on a Townshend Sig SG? I have to consider all possibilities.

You should sell me the PT SG for $500 :D

I'd say the trade is probably around $800 give or take. Knowing what I know about trades anyway and it depends on what you are trading it for.

It would be a bad trade. P-90's are one of the most perfect P/U's ever made, thick rich and fat yet still harmonic with plenty of treble. Before you trade it, talk to Lindy Fralin. Hell if you want a Humbucker, Find a cheaper Epiphone Elite 61 SG. then you'll have the bases covered. You are a single coil guy at heart.

You could always find a used old, SG-X and put a Duncan Custom Custom in it. Can't be more than about $300
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i still say you'd regret trading it.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I know, I know... it's that damn bug in me to get different gear... and try things out.

I would love to get a Z Best 212 cab to match my Ghia... and then sell my current 212 for a backup guitar...

Paco, you are right, I am a single coil man at heart... no doubt about that.

The tele just feels so natural to me... it is hard to explain, but I know people understand.

Then again, the SG feels pretty great too, so I imagine in a week, my mind would be different.

But, hypothetically... if I could sell the Townshend for $1000 (optimistic) and the 212 for $200 (very reasonable)... I could get the Z Best and still have $500 for a backup guitar... you can get a great guitar for $500, especially if you have the cash.

I would regret trading it, but there are lots of guitars I regret trading...

What would you do with these options?
    There's No Code.
    i'd keep the SG, and spend $400 or so at avatarspeakers.com custom spec'ing a nice 2x12"

byw, i played a ghia the other day. very very nice.
    I am glad you liked the Ghia... it is really a fun amp. No thinking required... turn it up and play.

Thanks for the reinforcing thoughts on keeping the SG. I am 99.9% sure I will keep it, but the thoughts run through my head about my options and I get excited. GAS.

It's good to have SGs and Teles both around... gives a man options.

I can get the Z best cab this summer after some more gigs. Save my money from the shows.

I played a Joe Perry Sig LP last night, that was nice... really well made guitar, I am not an LP guy, but it was a nice guitar.
    There's No Code.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i'd keep the SG, and spend $400 or so at avatarspeakers.com custom spec'ing a nice 2x12"

byw, i played a ghia the other day. very very nice.

nice company Ex, 298 plus 34 shipping for a G12H and a V30 nice. The wheat grill looks cool.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    it took me a couple seconds to realize the tone control was wired backwards on the ghia. other than that, it was great. i just played it through the 1x12" of a deluxe reverb.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    nice company Ex, 298 plus 34 shipping for a G12H and a V30 nice. The wheat grill looks cool.

i would love a ghia with a 1x12 from them if i actually could justify it. of course, i can't.

lately, i've been thinking of dumping my POD and upgrading to an XT pro b/c i can't see myself doing anything but recording in my basement at this point.
    The Ghia is really a great value in the botique amp market too... you get great build quality and components at a price point that is at least $500 lower than most other high end amp companies, low power models...

The amp is really well made and designed.

So, I am still considering my options on the guitar front... (still, it's been at least an hour, and I haven't changed my mind, :), what's wrong?)

It might be a matter of scouring the local area for a guitar with some good feel and being ready when I find it.

Or, I could custom another guitar for the backup... it really turned out well this go around.

Or I could take the 212 money and my Ghia and put it into a Ghia combo with a Vox Blue speaker... talk about an AC15... get it in blonde with diamond grille clothe... that would be tasty.
    There's No Code.
    The Ghia is really a great value in the botique amp market too... you get great build quality and components at a price point that is at least $500 lower than most other high end amp companies, low power models...

The amp is really well made and designed.

So, I am still considering my options on the guitar front... (still, it's been at least an hour, and I haven't changed my mind, :), what's wrong?)

It might be a matter of scouring the local area for a guitar with some good feel and being ready when I find it.

Or, I could custom another guitar for the backup... it really turned out well this go around.

Or I could take the 212 money and my Ghia and put it into a Ghia combo with a Vox Blue speaker... talk about an AC15... get it in blonde with diamond grille clothe... that would be tasty.

Better than an AC 15, there isn't any bullshit to color the signal.
    That setup might not gig as well as a 212 though. This would be a problem. I think the 212 helps me cut through the mix with my current guitar player.

The local shop would trade me the Zbest 212 for my SG, and would give me a little extra credit towards a backup guitar, plus with my other 212 they would give me another $300 trade in value...

So that's about $350 for a backup?

That is tempting because it is so easy.

The guy over there is a good salesman, he knows how to get me thinking.
    There's No Code.
    don't do it. seriously. do not. the townshend SG is a work of art. speakers are just speakers.
    I say no. The townsend SG is maybe on of the best guitars ever built. They are $1000 cheaper than the originals and they play a hell of a lot better. Don't trade it. Save up for the cab if you want it. You will sorely miss the PT SG.
    don't do it. seriously. do not. the townshend SG is a work of art. speakers are just speakers.

I agree and strongly disagree with you on that one.

I agree the Townshend is a great guitar... really well made and top notch all around.

But speakers, are most definitely not just speakers. A good cabinet can really improve your live sound. and from my experience the speakers make a huge difference in the tone of an amp... V30s sound different than Jensens, Fanes help make the Hiwatt tone that PT is famous for...

A cab with poor projection vs. a cab that is well designed can be the difference between people hearing your guitar, and you being lost in the mix.

It makes a difference.

I am just considering my options. I couldn't do anything for a while anyways. I am out of town this weekend, and I have a gig the next two weekends... no time to actually make any deals.

Options, that is part of the fun of guitar gear.
    There's No Code.

I agree the Townshend is a great guitar... really well made and top notch all around.

But speakers, are most definitely not just speakers. A good cabinet can really improve your live sound. and from my experience the speakers make a huge difference in the tone of an amp... V30s sound different than Jensens, Fanes help make the Hiwatt tone that PT is famous for...

A cab with poor projection vs. a cab that is well designed can be the difference between people hearing your guitar, and you being lost in the mix.

It makes a difference.

I am just considering my options. I couldn't do anything for a while anyways. I am out of town this weekend, and I have a gig the next two weekends... no time to actually make any deals.

I agree that speakers are huge and an enormous part of getting your sound across, but don't sacrifice one end for the other, play a few gigs, and save up for it, it won't take but a few months after all.
    right now you've got two kickass guitars, a damn nice amp head and a serviceable cabinet. save some cash and when the time comes, dump the cab and get the z-best.
    right now you've got two kickass guitars, a damn nice amp head and a serviceable cabinet. save some cash and when the time comes, dump the cab and get the z-best.

I concur. The grass is not greener. Save up for some fertilizer.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I agree that speakers are huge and an enormous part of getting your sound across, but don't sacrifice one end for the other, play a few gigs, and save up for it, it won't take but a few months after all.

Good point... patience... I feel like I am on Kung Fu... but masta'... ahh young grasshopper, the fire also needs water to live.

:D
    There's No Code.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907

It makes a difference.

This what you just said to pearlwax. "What the right guitar is can change over time as you discover yourself musically..."

1. Since you feel you don't have the speaker cabinet you want, why get rid of a guitar that may produce the sound your looking for once you get new speakers.

2. Two if your band has not drastically changed its musical style, would it be beneficial for you to get rid of the SG and just rely on the tele? or to have both.

Keep your SG.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    Originally posted by puremagic
    This what you just said to pearlwax. "What the right guitar is can change over time as you discover yourself musically..."

1. Since you feel you don't have the speaker cabinet you want, why get rid of a guitar that may produce the sound your looking for once you get new speakers.

2. Two if your band has not drastically changed its musical style, would it be beneficial for you to get rid of the SG and just rely on the tele? or to have both.

Keep your SG.

All very true... however, the reason I wanted to have a better tele, is that on a lot of our songs the guitars were not distinct from each other. The contrasting tones really help round out the sound.

Still, having both is the best option I agree.

I think the best plan for now is to stay put and save some money for the cabinet.

http://www.gbase.com/gearlist/guitar_picture.asp?guitar=240949

But what about something like this... now this is versatile.

I need to not have internet access.
    :)
    There's No Code.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    All very true... however, the reason I wanted to have a better tele, is that on a lot of our songs the guitars were not distinct from each other. The contrasting tones really help round out the sound.

Still, having both is the best option I agree.

I think the best plan for now is to stay put and save some money for the cabinet.

http://www.gbase.com/gearlist/guitar_picture.asp?guitar=240949

But what about something like this... now this is versatile.

I need to not have internet access.
    :)

Until you have the money
    1. play around with different FXs get a more pronounced sound
    2. try playing songs that with distinctive sounds for the rythum and lead guitarist
    3. add your own flavor to make the distinction.
    4. you also might want to play songs where you have to play off of each other, this more than anything will give you a clear picture of where and what it would take to improve, sharpen, or change the quality in this area. It may not be just your equipment, it could be someone else's.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    Good point about the dynamics within the band.

I have been talking with our lead guitar player about this stuff. We are starting an original project together...

So, we are figuring out the details and options. I am mainly enamored with the Z best cab... it really sounds wonderful and makes the sound so much bigger...

I think that would be a good thing to add to the mix.

However, I would have a hard time parting with the SG, that's for sure, it is a very comfortable, well made, and hard to find guitar. Not to mention it works very well with my style.

Two good guitars are better than one good guitar and an questionable backup.
    There's No Code.
    However, I would have a hard time parting with the SG, that's for sure, it is a very comfortable, well made, and hard to find guitar. Not to mention it works very well with my style.

Two good guitars are better than one good guitar and an questionable backup.

bingo.