Pick of any guitar under $1600 or so from this inventory...

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well,

I recently picked up a Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

So, I am changing gears a little bit. I am trading my Z-best 212 and my Townshend SG towards a new guitar to go with my tele.

I will have a budget of about $1600 to work with for any guitar at my local shop. I prefer to buy from them as they treat me really well, and are generally good guys.

So, take a look at the inventory and tell me what you might recommend.

http://www.eddiesguitars.com

Rock 'n' roll and blues are my thing.

If I spend less than $1600 I could pickup some good effects or something of the like...

Share your thoughts...

Thanks
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i have no idea on the guitar. but i hope you enjoy the deluxe reverb.

what are you doing with the ghia? a dual set with the ghia and the DR is sweet but what are you going to run the ghia through?
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I sold the Ghia to a close friend... it won't be far. So long as he keeps it...

I am trying to have a more compact setup... know I can carry my guitar in one hand(or on my back) and my amp in the other hand...

I mean, I am in a cover band, not a touring act.

I thought about running an A/B rig, but that is the opposite of my idea...

I am sure in a few months I will be saying... I just don't have enough versatility and stuff on stage to cover the tones I need. :)

However, a new guitar will brighten my day... I need something to get me going.
    There's No Code.
    the DR is really wide ranging. i think you'll like it. losing the ghia might hurt though.

i really do recommend looking at a barber launch pad for the DR. you can combine the normal and vibrato channels with it. you can switch between the two, or blend them however you like and boost the whole thing into overdrive as well. brilliant pedal. seriously try it.
    Thanks for the info re: the launch pad... I want to get some kind of setup to use both channels...

any ideas on the guitars?
    There's No Code.
    you can use any A/B box to switch the channels. that's what i used to do previously. the trick with the launch pad is the fact that the outputs are out of phase with eachother. that's what let's you combine channels and get sweeter harmonics etc.

as for guitars, in that price range, i'm not really sure. i honestly think i'd personally want the SG as i can't think of a better compliment to the tele than that guitar in the price range. i really don't have any ideas on that one. guitars are so personal.
  • 2italy2italy Posts: 39
    i'd say go for a les paul studio and a line 6 pod 2.0 but that's me...
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    those PRS hollowbodies are so pretty both in appearance and sound, though price wise probably arent in your range judging by that whole call email thing and PRS's reputation. Otherwise that black 57 les paul looked nice and was half off, but still probably pricey. They got a hell of a stock Ill tell you that
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Yeah, I'd probably go with an SG, too...

If you don't want to keep the Townshend, I'd get an SG with Classic '57 humbuckers.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Survo-Survo- Posts: 72
    i cant find any prices, just says call/e-mail
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    JERRY JONES MASTER

These are awesome & a ton of fun to play around with.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    This Gibson Les Paul Standard in Vintage burst is beautiful....

http://www.eddiesguitars.com/DSCN0213.JPG

If you don't already have a Les Paul, it's time to get one...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    check out the barber LTD overdrive and the analog man King of Tone. Pretty much built for the DR's

For guitars......

Still got the tele right?

my pick is this one.

http://www.eddiesguitars.com/DSCN0902.JPG

http://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm

http://www.barberelectronics.com

Similar low gain od effects. Also check out the Barber launch pad, you can use it to combine channels. Hmm, selling the PT. Maybe it's time for me to dump the LP studio

do play the Tom Anderson and Don Grosh's with hopes that there may be one in the price range.

http://www.eddiesguitars.com/DSCN2588.JPG

There's always the Les Paul but if you're playing blues you and your back will be happer with one of those heritage holobodies.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • i'd go with the rickenbacker 360.. if it was black.
    this heart's on fire
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'd sell off the farm and get this:

http://www.eddiesguitars.com/DSCN0170.JPG

God, do I love goldtops!

That's a PRS, just in case anyone was wondering...

I'd probably get this to go with it...

http://www.eddiesguitars.com/DSCN1604.JPG

Always wanted a Victoria. 2x10" Jensens in that beauty.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I'd sell off the farm and get this:

http://www.eddiesguitars.com/DSCN0170.JPG

God, do I love goldtops!

That's a PRS, just in case anyone was wondering...

I'd probably get this to go with it...

http://www.eddiesguitars.com/DSCN1604.JPG

Always wanted a Victoria. 2x10" Jensens in that beauty.

I love the victorias. My lust for sunbursts is equal to your affinity for gold tops.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Well, I couldn't justify any of the guitars over the Townshend...

Plus, the PT worked very well with the DRRI at practice last week.

So, I think I will be selling/trading my Zbest towards some other equipment for my setup... I am thinking a fuzz or booster and some other effects...

However, I will keep my options open.
    There's No Code.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by House53

Good decision.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.

Plus, the PT worked very well with the DRRI at practice last week.

So, I think I will be selling/trading my Zbest towards some other equipment for my setup... I am thinking a fuzz or booster and some other effects...

Fuzz. Good call. I still say look into the Barber Launch Pad for the boost. It is seemingly built for the Deluxe Reverb or similar fender amps because of the channel combining feature. At $109 it's cheap too.

The more you want to trade that townsend the less you'll want to give it away when you compare it to others it's right in the middle single coil sparkle/humbucker fatness. It's a tough one to sell, it's light comfortable ooozes rock and roll rhythm and blues. Hell of a mojo too. Did you try the DR with the Z best cab yet?

Fuzzes and OD/boosters are so individual its insane but Oh man do fender amps sound so good when overdriven magical at that slight point of breakup.

If you choose a fuzz you might go through 10 or 12 before you find one you like.
    That's what I am worried about Re: the fuzzes...

But, I will figure something out... I just need some more hair on the tone for some of my leads...

I did run the DRRI through the Z-best... I like the sound of the Weber better, the ceramic has more punch.

Although, I have considered getting a Vox Blue speaker for it, I don't know if they are a good match though.

I will have to take an afternoon to try out pedals and such... that won't be for a couple of weeks.

Or, I could get my Ghia back and run an AB rig with the Ghia for leads... that's if it hasn't sold yet.
    There's No Code.
    Depending on what you use for leads, A rig a friend in the band Jupiter Coyote uses is an original TS-9 Tubescreamer into an Original Rat for leads right into his 60's era blackface vibrolux, he has a 70's silverface DR that he uses as a slave I believe. http://www.jupitercoyote.com for soundclips There are pics as well.

He uses a Dodson (Custom) Strat with hot rails most of the time. Amazing slide player from the Duane Allman school of thinking.

I use a similar rig. Except mine is a Barber Direct Drive currently (similar to the TS-808) and a Keeley Rat. This works very well for me and it gets into the fuzzy stuff further up the drive range, but not quite.

Still, while your at it, check out a Captain Coconuts 2 at http://www.foxroxelectronics.com Dave fox uses fuzz cards so if you don't like the fuzz you aren't up the creek you can just swap the card out for a different flavor.
    launch pad for all overdriven sounds. just do all the control from the guitar.

you might laugh but try the new EHX double muff in front of the overdriven DR. it's sweet.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    launch pad for all overdriven sounds. just do all the control from the guitar.

you might laugh but try the new EHX double muff in front of the overdriven DR. it's sweet.

Double muff :) Everytime I hear that the coors light commercial comes into my head.

"and TWINS"

yeah, I have problems.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Double muff :) Everytime I hear that the coors light commercial comes into my head.

"and TWINS"

yeah, I have problems.

maybe i'll see that one in nevada this week.

the reviews for the double muff on HC are hilarious. everyone thinks (like i did initially), that it was big muff pi circuits in there. so they all put it in front of clean amps and shred their eardrums.
    I will defnitely check out the Launchpad... I think that will be a great option to run both channels...

although I am considering just running the Vibrato channel and pulling the first preamp tube... that increases the plate voltage on the vibrato channel's preamp tube and increases dynamics... it also shortens tube life, but that's okay.

I need to check out some fuzz options...
    There's No Code.
    I will defnitely check out the Launchpad... I think that will be a great option to run both channels...

although I am considering just running the Vibrato channel and pulling the first preamp tube... that increases the plate voltage on the vibrato channel's preamp tube and increases dynamics... it also shortens tube life, but that's okay.

I need to check out some fuzz options...

well that's good to know and interesting. Preamp tubes are like 10 bucks any how. Just plug a small fan in and blow it on the tubes to keep them cool while you play

have you played any fuzzes before? Do you have a preference of Germanium, Slicon or Hybrid of the two?
    I have played a few... but they have never made it into my rig...

I almost used a Prescription Yardbox with my Hiwatt and almost used a Peachfuzz(I forget who makes that one)... both sound a lot better with Fender amps... so they might be a good option now.

Eddie's has a good selection, so I will test out the whole assortment.
    There's No Code.
    I have played a few... but they have never made it into my rig...

I almost used a Prescription Yardbox with my Hiwatt and almost used a Peachfuzz(I forget who makes that one)... both sound a lot better with Fender amps... so they might be a good option now.

Eddie's has a good selection, so I will test out the whole assortment.

yeah they do. The yardbox is a copy of the solasound tonebender. Think Paige and Clapton Cream era. It's darker smoother and sounding than most.

you might check the sound clips for various ones at http://www.custom-sounds.com Roger Mayer makes a variety you might enjoy.
    I need an afternoon to go plug in all sorts of items down there...
    There's No Code.