GAS... I think it is passing for now... I hope.

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, I haven't done anything major on the gear front... that's a positive.

Although, I am still tempted to find something different/better.

I guess my nature is to change things up...

So, any ideas for an amp head to play with a telecaster...

Price range $0-$1400

if you think of a great combo... throw that in as well. I prefer at least two speakers for the bigger sound.

I already have a Z-best 212 that I would like to keep.

Just a brain storm.

That or a guitar in the $800 - $1000... rock and blues.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    combo - twin reverb
    http://www.music123.com/Fender--65-Twin-Reverb-i12302.music

head - THD univalve. all the amps you'd ever want.
    http://www.amptone.com/thdunivalve.htm
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I think what I might actually want is something vintage... something for a raw and rough kind of tone...

I played an Ampeg super jet reissue... it had this throaty edge to it that sounded great to my ear.

It like someone had taken a very smooth tone and just roughed it up, almost randomly for some grit...

I think maybe an older combo amp might be a good A/b with the Ghia rig... or perhaps a blackface bandmaster.
    There's No Code.
    maybe an old bassman or vibrolux or something.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    maybe an old bassman or vibrolux or something.

ding ding ding. My sentiments exactly. Look for silverfaces too man, I did sound the other day for a guy that ran a vibrolux and deluxe that sounded great, not my favorite because I'm partial to the blackfaces but way cheaper and very nice.

I know you aren't into the knobs and all but what about A Mesa Blue Angel or a Nomad for the Tele.

I'd stick with the Z best cab since it's your favorite.

With the Blue Angel you don't have to choose between 84's and 6V6's

You can get a 68 Bassman head for like $450. It's fucking cool as it is but you can severely improve the tone there with new tubes caps etc. Matt Farrow, can convert it to blackface spec's/cosmetics for you if that's your thing. I can only imagine a clean blackface head with a z best cabinet running side by side with your ghia. That sounds cool too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Seems like we have some good ideas going here...
    There's No Code.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43374&item=3725782438&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V

Zoink!!

{Why am selling it? I need the $$ to make some payments on my recording studio. Otherwise, I'd never let it go. My loss is your gain. Help me out here! You'll love this amp!}- Dumbass.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    I have never played a Mesa that I really liked... I played an old Boogie that was cool, but they all feel to stiff to me... I guess I don't play aggresively enough to use the style.

However, I haven't played this model.
    There's No Code.
    Originally posted by House53
    I have never played a Mesa that I really liked... I played an old Boogie that was cool, but they all feel to stiff to me... I guess I don't play aggresively enough to use the style.

However, I haven't played this model.

this is non master volume. It's not your typical boogie. more emphasis on power tube overdrive than the preamp on this one. Most boogies are very preamp oriented. You probably played a Mark 1.

If any boogie suits your style this is it. It's a stripped down Deluxe Reverb combined with the power section from a Vox AC 30 and four 10's instead of 2 Probably needs some kind of boost in front of it though to kick it up a notch.
    I see... that's definitely true re: preamp on most mesas... that's the sound rally tight and focused distortion.

So, the new band is meeting up on Monday for our first jam... see what shakes out...

It would be nice to put together a new band and have more fun with it... more cheesy rock moves on stage and such.
    There's No Code.
    Originally posted by House53
    I see... that's definitely true re: preamp on most mesas... that's the sound rally tight and focused distortion.

So, the new band is meeting up on Monday for our first jam... see what shakes out...

It would be nice to put together a new band and have more fun with it... more cheesy rock moves on stage and such.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38074&item=3726880594&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

oh and this one is just too obvious.
    I have also been considering a dual humbucker tele... G&L Deluxe possibly... Fender american HH
    There's No Code.
    i learned last night that i don't actually like 2x12s. at least not closed 2x12s.

this was after playing a ghia into a z-best they had at the shop.

which is good to learn. i prefer open backed speakers i guess.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i learned last night that i don't actually like 2x12s. at least not closed 2x12s.

this was after playing a ghia into a z-best they had at the shop.

which is good to learn. i prefer open backed speakers i guess.

open back is less focused, more ambient.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    open back is less focused, more ambient.
    yup. and i think that's needed for me when i'm playing on my own.

the tightness and focus of closed back is needed for a band situation i would imagine.
    The Z-best cab is pretty dark too...

I run my tone on the Ghia completely different with the Z-best than with my previous cab...

it does cut through very well... and it helps the Ghia stand on its own with a drummer and other guitarist.
    There's No Code.
    i loved the ghia through the deluxe reverb's openback 12.
    I think that is what is great about the Ghia... it is simple, but can be tweaked to go well with a variety of guitars and speaker setups...

it's so responsive to every change... it is a joy to play.
    There's No Code.