70s Bassman Halfstack... fair price?

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
A pawnshop has a 70s Silverface Bassman 50 Halfstack... with a 215 cabinet... all for $600... this means I could get it for $500 cash.

Is this a fair price in your experiences for this era... assuming it is fully functional... I know the heads are easy to mod because of the simple circuit...

The 215 cab is of interest as well... my other guitarist has been looking for one for a while now.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sounds fair to me. I think the heads go for around 420 or so. That's pretty kosher. See if you can talk him down to 550.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I think he would go for $500-$550... If I offered cash he would take it.

I think maybe I should get some cash aside and get a Hiwatt SA212 next time it pops up on ebay...

That might be my ideal amp.
    There's No Code.
    Originally posted by House53
    I think he would go for $500-$550... If I offered cash he would take it.

I think maybe I should get some cash aside and get a Hiwatt SA212 next time it pops up on ebay...

That might be my ideal amp.

I think it would work well. It's simple (obviously your style) and it exudes that legendary fender sound. Hell, that'd look fucking cool on stage too the Bassman with the hiwatt cab next to the ghia. It'd give you considerably more clean headroom in half the rig too, great versatile rig I'd think.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    the SA 212... to my knowledge is the Custom 50 212 combo.

However, there is a 50 watt reissue... audio brothers on gbase for $999.

That would be a great amp for me. I could run that with a 212 and be ready to rock. The Townshend SG and a Hiwatt... that would be an alright combination eh?

I bet the Z-best would sound great with that head... the head is on the bright side of things anyways.
    There's No Code.
    yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and say the townsend sg through the hiwatt would be a pretty nice sounding rig ;)
    So... the dilemma becomes how to finance such a head... I could sell my Ghia... maybe get $600 for it.

There's a $400 gap there. I am not sure how to cover that.

I would prefer to keep the Z-best 212 as it is a really great cab. I do have my other 212 I could run... meaning.

I could sell the whole Ghia/Zbest rig... and have enough cash for the Hiwatt head.
    There's No Code.
    So... the dilemma becomes how to finance such a head... I could sell my Ghia... maybe get $600 for it.

There's a $400 gap there. I am not sure how to cover that.

I would prefer to keep the Z-best 212 as it is a really great cab. I do have my other 212 I could run... meaning.

I could sell the whole Ghia/Zbest rig... and have enough cash for the Hiwatt head.

Damnit. do not sell the cab. maybe the Ghia, not the cab. sell the other cab.
    the other cab is sort of off limits for selling too...

I bought it from a local shop and my good friend and I have traded the cab back and forth to each other several times for use on various projects or when one really needed a cab to have a functional rig.

So, we made an agreement to not sell it and someday when we are 50 or 60 we can reminisce about the cab...

It is a pretty good cabinet too.

So, I guess I can't sell any of my current gear... I need to scare up a quick $1000... I guess I will be headed to the riverboat this weekend... blackjack is my ticket to Hiwatt land.
    There's No Code.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Do you have an ulcer? You worry so much. Just wait until the new group gets together and plays a couple of rehersals. See where things are leading before you start changing equipment or to determine if you need something extra.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    No, I don't have an ulcer... I am not worried... I just get excited about gear...

I like making deals... trying out new things...
    There's No Code.
  • Originally posted by House53

So, I guess I can't sell any of my current gear... I need to scare up a quick $1000... I guess I will be headed to the riverboat this weekend... blackjack is my ticket to Hiwatt land.
    [/quote

blackjack is definitely your ticket to Hiwatt land. :)
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    No, I don't have an ulcer... I am not worried... I just get excited about gear...

I like making deals... trying out new things...

Thank you for putting my mind at ease.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Buy a Sovtek.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.