Roland Micro Cube... a great $125!!

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I received a noise complaint from my neighbors... I am guessing it is related to my amp being too loud...

So, I went out and looked for a quiet practice solution... It needed a headphone output, cd input, and usable tones.

I also wanted to minimize cost of the setup.

So, I tried several products... Vox Tonelab, nice, but too complicated for my needs, also no cd input, really designed for more advanced applications... also more than I wanted to spend.

Line 6 POD... same as above, I liked the tonelab better for some things and the POD better for others...

Various other modellers... all had too many switches, and options that I didn't want or wouldn't use.

Then I looked at the small amp category... of all the "practice amps" at the store... the microcube excelled.

the setup is very small and simple... it has 6 different amp models... acoustic, jc 120, blackface, "brit combo", brit fullstack, and recto... all sound pretty good to me ears... some stand out as being better... but all very musical.
one gain, one volume, one tone knob...

then two effects knobs... one has chorus, flanger, phaser, and tremolo... all with varying intensity, you can only use one of them at a time, but they are based on Boss effects... pretty good.

the other has delay and reverb... again you can increase the intensity and can only use one.

the effects were pretty good, and I could get some tones I don't normally use...

I had fun wanking around on the recto setting with delay and chorus... some serious weedling, Bill & Ted action.

I then hooked up my headphones AKG HP40s... great middle of the road headphones... and my CD player through the line in...

even through the headphones the amp sounded realistic... then once I matched the levels on the cd with the guitar, it was wonderful... I got a lot of good practice, and I didn't piss off the neighbors...

you can't really switch the tones on the fly, but it was great for jamming along and learning material.

Highly reccomend this little amp for all your home practice needs.
There's No Code.