My lead guitarist bought a '65 Mustang... What should I buy?

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Alright in the "arms race" in my band... the lead guitarist just made a major move...

he bought a 1965 Fender Mustang... very cool. It sounds great and looks nice as well...

he has widened the gap between his arsenal and mine... I must respond!! :D

I was thinking a late 60s LP Custom or a 355 Gibson...

:)
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Gibson L5

or a 335 would be cool.

Late 70's LP Deluxe would be cool too. It'd go with the Townsend.

or, you could get a 70's Tele Custom or a thinline in sunburst.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    That or a Marshall 100 Watt SLP Full stack, then it wouldn't matter what he played, I would be louder... :D

Seriously though, it is a nice guitar... sounds great. The mustang.

I guess, I will have to bide my time and come up with a plan to close this gap...
    There's No Code.
    Originally posted by House53
    That or a Marshall 100 Watt SLP Full stack, then it wouldn't matter what he played, I would be louder... :D

Seriously though, it is a nice guitar... sounds great. The mustang.

I guess, I will have to bide my time and come up with a plan to close this gap...

why not a Burns Red Special?, same idea.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Actually, I recently played a Z Route 66 with my tele... I am thinking about getting that head and another tele... that's a tone I could play with all day.

However, the band has finally integrated all of our tones, bass, and two guitars, so I shouldn't mess with that just yet.
    There's No Code.
    Thinking an all white tele would look nice on stage.

I just don't know about putting more cash into the gear lineup at the moment.

I suppose if I sold my tele or SG, then I could pick up the other guitar... it played really well at the shop, the tele I mean... one of those times where they speak to you... buy me, buy me...

I tend to have those moments a lot though... :)
    There's No Code.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    How about a 1968 Camaro? Holley 4-barrel, Edelbrock heads, Flowmaster exhaust, posi, on a blown 327 block...

That would knock the stockings off a '65 Mustang any day...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    my other friend said the same thing...

"Why did he buy a different car?"

The funny thing is the guy does drive a Mustang too, but not a '65... something more recent.
    There's No Code.
    The funny thing is the guy does drive a Mustang too, but not a '65... something more recent.

It better be at least 15 years old. The only guys who drive current Mustangs and Camaros are male hair dressers and interior decorators.

The new 'Stang is pretty nice, though... Boss revisited...
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    How about a 1968 Camaro? Holley 4-barrel, Edelbrock heads, Flowmaster exhaust, posi, on a blown 327 block...

Sure would!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415

I swear you got that thing out of a comic book man. But you need wheels on that thing, not the pizza cutters you have now.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • go all out and get a les paul supreme with a figured AAA top:D
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • cltaylor12cltaylor12 Posts: 125
    1967 Camero!
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    It better be at least 15 years old. The only guys who drive current Mustangs and Camaros are male hair dressers and interior decorators.

The new 'Stang is pretty nice, though... Boss revisited...

hahaha funny but true...the last few years of the camaro were truly embarrassments, while some of the new mustangs aren't too bad imo.

I luckily have a Camaro that is old enough to pass your standard (1983)....and my brother has a 1965 Mustang.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
    Originally posted by r1vers
    hahaha funny but true...the last few years of the camaro were truly embarrassments, while some of the new mustangs aren't too bad imo.

I luckily have a Camaro that is old enough to pass your standard (1983)....and my brother has a 1965 Mustang.

My first car was an '89 Mustang GT convertable... a blast to drive, but I probably looked like a tool driving it.

I kinda want to find an '88-94 Mustang GT hardtop to toy around with in the summer. 5.0L, 5-speed, put a little sumpin-sumpin under the hood and a decent stereo in it... just have a car that drives nice, hugs the road, gets up and goes, but isn't pretentious.

The new Mustang is damned nice... I'd drive one, if I could afford it...

My roomie frosh year in college had a 1967 Pontiac Firebird... canary yellow... cherry... what a car.

Okay, fantasy drag race: 1968 Camaro 396 vs. 1969 Boss Mustang 351?
    My first car was an '89 Mustang GT convertable... a blast to drive, but I probably looked like a tool driving it.

I kinda want to find an '88-94 Mustang GT hardtop to toy around with in the summer. 5.0L, 5-speed, put a little sumpin-sumpin under the hood and a decent stereo in it... just have a car that drives nice, hugs the road, gets up and goes, but isn't pretentious.

The new Mustang is damned nice... I'd drive one, if I could afford it...

My roomie frosh year in college had a 1967 Pontiac Firebird... canary yellow... cherry... what a car.

Okay, fantasy drag race: 1968 Camaro 396 vs. 1969 Boss Mustang 351?

why not a Boss 429?
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    why not a Boss 429?

Because where's the contest in that? That's like pitting a Shelby Cobra against a 327 Corvette.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Alright in the "arms race" in my band... the lead guitarist just made a major move...

he bought a 1965 Fender Mustang... very cool. It sounds great and looks nice as well...

he has widened the gap between his arsenal and mine... I must respond!! :D

I was thinking a late 60s LP Custom or a 355 Gibson...

:)

you could offset it with a guitar that actually stays in tune. ;)
    Originally posted by exhausted
    you could offset it with a guitar that actually stays in tune. ;)

Suprisingly that thing holds tune pretty well.

Now he is talking about getting another Les Paul. I told him he can let me use the new one... seems fair, right?
    There's No Code.