Gig tonight!

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, after four months... it's time for the first gig with the new lineup. Playing a local bar with a good crowd and good taste in music (read: they like out stuff).

I am excited, we are playing some new songs and I think we should have a regular gig at this bar after tonight.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Cool... good luck man

You play originals?
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    no... covers, covers, and more covers. It's still a good time... plus it's great to go out, have a good time, and make money instead of spending it.

The gig tonight is great because anything on the rail is free along with getting paid.
    There's No Code.
    Sounds great! Maybe I should join some cover band too... jamming all the time is muchos fun but I can forget about getting paid. :) With all those covers, you DO play some PJ do you?
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
    yes.

right now we play Black, Yellow Ledbetter, and RITFW(not really a PJ song, but we do play it that way. The lead guitarist and I are big fans).

I am pushing to add Baba O'Riley and Alive as well.

In our acoustic opening set we mix around Elderly Woman, Betterman, and my favorite song of the set Immortality... we get the dueling guitars going at the end... it's a fun song.
    There's No Code.
  • Sounds cool, good luck House
    "This is a public service annowncement... with guitars!!"
    Originally posted by House53
    In our acoustic opening set we mix around Elderly Woman, Betterman, and my favorite song of the set Immortality... we get the dueling guitars going at the end... it's a fun song.

haha i'd love to do that myself sometimes. Too bad all guitarists in the neighbourhood are megadeth-obsessed wannabe shred-kids :(
    our acoustic set...

Big Empty - STP
    Hide Your Love Away - the Beatles (sort of a PJ song too...)
    Dead Flowers - The Rolling Stones
    Immortality - PJ
    Creep - Radiohead
    I Used to Love Her - GNR
    Wonderwall - Oasis
    Layla - Clapton
    Betterman - PJ

I will either tag Why can't I touch it? or Save it for Later on Betterman... I never know until I get there which one...
    There's No Code.
    Good song choice... GnR is the only one that does nothing for me. Any chance you can tape the gig? :)
  • Good luck, have fun.
    kthxbai
    Originally posted by pariah
    Good song choice... GnR is the only one that does nothing for me. Any chance you can tape the gig? :)

We tried doing that in the past... but it is tough to get a good mix from room mics... maybe we can get something better in the future...

for the whole band we have three sets. It's time to Kick Out the Jams...

Set 1:
    Jumpin Jack Flash – Stones
    Fire – Hendrix
    When the Levee Breaks – Zepplin
    Are you gonna be my girl? – Jet
    Run Through the Jungle – CCR
    Sweet Leaf – Sabbath
    Black – PJ (stretch)
    Come Together – the Beatles
    Strange Brew – Cream
    Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith

Set 2:
    Rebel, Rebel – Bowie
    Ride W/ Me – The Vines
    Day Tripper – The Beatles
    Misty Mountain Hop - Zepplin
    Mr. Brownstone – GNR
    Beast of Burden –Stones
    Red House - Hendrix
    Big Balls – AC/DC
    Hard to Handle – Black Crowes
    Refugee – Tom Petty
    Pride and Joy – SRV (stretch, slow)

Set 3:
    Heaven’s Door – Bob Dylan
    Sympathy for the Devil – Stones
    Fortunate Son – CCR
    Hey Joe –Hendrix
    Hey, Hey (What Can I Do?) – Zepplin
    Why Don't We Get Drunk? – Jimmy Buffet
    Sweet Home Alabama – Skynard
    Wild Thing – the Troggs
    Rockin' Free World – Neil Young

Extras
    Jailhouse Rock - Elvis
    Ring of Fire – Johnny Cash
    Reptilia – the Strokes
    7 Nation Army – White Stripes
    Big Bang Baby - STP
    I Wanna Be Your Dog – Stooges
    Fight for your Right– Beastie Boys
    Sex Type Thing – STP
    There's No Code.
  • That seems like a good set.

Tell us how it went when you get back.
    kthxbai
    Nice setlist :)

how'd it go?
    It went pretty well... being our first gig we had a couple of rough spots, but nothing too bad...

The place/people enjoyed it... we even had an "encore" of Yellow Ledbetter after a poll of the bar.

We should get to play that spot again.
    There's No Code.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by House53
    It went pretty well... being our first gig we had a couple of rough spots, but nothing too bad...

The place/people enjoyed it... we even had an "encore" of Yellow Ledbetter after a poll of the bar.

We should get to play that spot again.

Sorry I haven't been following to closely been busy.

Nice to hear things went well. Are things going ok with the new collection of band members? More importantly, have you found that "tone" you were seeking, or do you now realize it will come with the progression of the band.

Take care, that was a nice setlist.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    I had some good tone on Friday night... I wanted to play my solo on RITFW for an hour, but all good things must come to an end...
    the lead guitarist and I did stretch those each solo break out... and during the 1st solo (my break) we traded off some cool licks.

The "tone" is something I worry about less when I am playing out consistently... I was really enjoying playing guitar on Friday night, and both my guitars really did well in their own applications... a real tasty tele solo on Refugee... and the aforementioned RITFW featuring the SG... so, yes I am happy with the tone.

the band is going well, we have some different ideas of new material to learn that we need to figure out this week.

We need to add another set or two of songs (10-20) and we need to sharpen up our current catalog.
    There's No Code.
  • good luck and enjoy the crowed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!