No idea what I want for my setup... really just out there.

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Alright,

I spent some time this weekend trying out different guitars, amps, etc... looking for something to speak to me. No luck. Really no idea how to approach this setup.

I tested the tweed bassman, super reverb, tweed twin, twin reverb, vibroverb, and some vintage fenders. They all sound good, but none of them jumped out. I had been leaning towards a tweed bassman, but now I am unsure.

I played my tele, a '52 tele reissue, a 50s tele with a bigsby, strats, SGs, les pauls, 335s... not really any stand outs here either. I was considering a two tele setup with one of them having humbuckers and the other a standard setup. One thing I am sure of is that I like my tele (but it is familiar)... the sg was nice ('61 reissue) but the neck again was on the thin side. The aged '62 sg was great, but expensive ($2500). Same with the reissue lps... nice and expensive.

So, I am really at a loss as to what way to approach things. I feel like I would second guess my decision and end up wanting the other item for the sake of the other item.

I think maybe I should find an amp first... then move on.

I would like to try the new Vox amps, but I have heard of reliability issues on the AC30 CC line. I don't want to buy into a return/repair cycle.

Any thoughts? or just tell me to calm down... thanks.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    House53 wrote:
    Alright,

I spent some time this weekend trying out different guitars, amps, etc... looking for something to speak to me. No luck. Really no idea how to approach this setup.

I tested the tweed bassman, super reverb, tweed twin, twin reverb, vibroverb, and some vintage fenders. They all sound good, but none of them jumped out. I had been leaning towards a tweed bassman, but now I am unsure.

I played my tele, a '52 tele reissue, a 50s tele with a bigsby, strats, SGs, les pauls, 335s... not really any stand outs here either. I was considering a two tele setup with one of them having humbuckers and the other a standard setup. One thing I am sure of is that I like my tele (but it is familiar)... the sg was nice ('61 reissue) but the neck again was on the thin side. The aged '62 sg was great, but expensive ($2500). Same with the reissue lps... nice and expensive.

So, I am really at a loss as to what way to approach things. I feel like I would second guess my decision and end up wanting the other item for the sake of the other item.

I think maybe I should find an amp first... then move on.

I would like to try the new Vox amps, but I have heard of reliability issues on the AC30 CC line. I don't want to buy into a return/repair cycle.

Any thoughts? or just tell me to calm down... thanks.

ah just calm down. Every trip to the store is different. It all depends on the day. You are looking for a diamond. There are lots of pieces of coal on the wall. All of this searching is time consuming. Regardless of what jumped out, you know what you like, you know what is comfortable, keep trying stuff especially stuff you know you like, and wait until you find the right combo. I think before you go AC 30 CC you should probably look at some Dr Z's again. Z-28, Perscription, and Extra Strength. Etc. You might even fall in love with a Route 66.

Just take your time, no hurry. A lot of times you go to the store and just go damn, didn't find anything great today then others you'll find a ton of great stuff.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I am attempting to calm down.

I get hung up on hand wired amps, or custom shop guitars... and while admittedly they are good things... they aren't the only indicator of whether an amp or guitar will suit me.

That said... I really don't know what I want to play.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I am attempting to calm down.

I get hung up on hand wired amps, or custom shop guitars... and while admittedly they are good things... they aren't the only indicator of whether an amp or guitar will suit me.

That said... I really don't know what I want to play.

It'll come to you. Just listen to some more music and play on the ones you have, thinking about what you'd like to change about them.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    At the end of the day you have to eventually settle with a tone or get a line 6 and pod and have thousands of options. I don't like digital, so lets just assume you wont go that route :)
    I think the best thing to do is take a break from it all, relax think about other stuff, like just playing tunes or listening to old stuff you haven't busted out in a while. When you least expect it a tone will jump out at you and you can go from there.
    I don't think you can go wrong with a Tele and any amp, or a SG and any amp, but you have to be happy with the tone.
    If you want a Vox, don't buy a vox, get a clone of one you will thank me down the road. The Vox amps are tempermental, require a really good tech and finding a good one to begin with isn't easy. If you go with a new one I think they are pretty crappy. There are dozens of resonably priced clones on the market now. I posted some clips of Gabi's new Voxer a Bluesbreaker/Vox AC15 combo, 2 channel and it is under 1800.
    Have you looked at the new Gretsch guitars recently? I will buy one soon as I think the build is amazing and they sound incredible, plus you don't see them often and Setzer is a pretty damn good guitarist :), I digress....
    I am not a huge fan of PRS, but it sounds like you might like them. I would play everything and anything I could find and something will stick I swear :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    I am feeling a bit more level headed today.

I know we all know about GAS... I had GOS (Gear Overload Syndrome)... I get stuck on the gear and not on the fact that the gear is only good to make music.

I am also a bit stressed with my wedding coming up. So, I am not in a clear state to focus on important things, like gear... :)

I am 99% sure that I should order the R6 with the P-90s and the fat neck... then take some time with that. Then take the LP and Tele around and play as many amps as I can... one of them will speak to me.

I know that I like P90s, 24 3/4" scale, big necks, and resonant wood. I think a custom shop Les Paul is a good place to look for these qualities. Plus, it getting a high end Gibson can't calm down my want for cool guitars for a while... I really have troubles.

I would like to find a used amp (save $$) and that will require some leg work... but that's the fun part.
    There's No Code.
    Look for Used tweeds (Victoria, Kendrick, Clark etc.) or Fenders what have you, then play through a bunch of black and silverface Fenders Dr. Z's etc. The search is almost as fun as the purchase.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Look for Used tweeds (Victoria, Kendrick, Clark etc.) or Fenders what have you, then play through a bunch of black and silverface Fenders Dr. Z's etc. The search is almost as fun as the purchase.

Yeah a used Victoria would be the way to go, and they are often sold way under value, same with Clarks.

Good tone for sure!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    Pacomc79 wrote:

The search can be very fun. I agree.

Pretty much all of the Fender line sounds good to me (the tweed and blackface amps at least). I just need to decide on the right amp.

Bassman, Super, Twin, Vibroverb... then again I have a soft spot for EL84 amps. I agree that on the new Vox amps... I have heard many bad reports with them.

I wish the new Gibson amps were available. They are handwired and Class A with 6L6 and 6V6 power amps... a lot like the Carr Rambler and Slant 6... the best part is the 15 watt combo is $999 and the 30 watter is $1150. I recently heard they are delayed for several months.
    There's No Code.
    Alright the guys at the Custom Shop made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Great Price. Great customer service. They took a big chunk off of the Minimum Advertised Price (MAP)...

So, one piece is in place. After the wedding, I can begin the amp search...

I takes a moment of doubt or confusion to create a real step forward.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Alright the guys at the Custom Shop made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Great Price. Great customer service. They took a big chunk off of the Minimum Advertised Price (MAP)...

So, one piece is in place. After the wedding, I can begin the amp search...

I takes a moment of doubt or confusion to create a real step forward.
    So what did you get?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    So what did you get?

R6... it should be here this afternoon.

They described several of them to me... I went with the lightest and most resonant... it was a bit darker when plugged in to... that's a good thing to me.

Report to follow.
    There's No Code.