So has anyone bought a new Strat recently? Anyone at all? :)

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Just wondering if anyone, who had been looking at strats, had made any recent purchases?

No one in particular ;), just a general question.

Any recent test drives or what not...

please update us all.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I test drove the new american deluxe last weekend. lovely. Great setup great feel locking tuners. The S-1 switch is very nice. It wasn't ash so I didn't buy it. I think I'm the lone strat lover on the board. I thought it was great. Having playe the old ones, it's not seasoned like they are with age but it's still quite good. It's not quite in the league with a John Suhr, Don Grosh or Tom Anderson but all those guitars are master built and twice the price.

ok, then I fell in love with a 1964 ES 125 but that's neither here nor there.

Also there was a wonderful Schecter C-1 semi hollow body with an acoustic bridge pickup that was amazing and for 699 damn. Honestly I don't see how they make such good guitars for that amount of money. It had coil taps and everything. If I was down with the looks I'd probably get it. Instead I'm thinking of trading the Les Paul for a much lighter custom Carvin AE 185. I think I'll get it in all figured KOA. It'd be a hell of a guitar to take to open mic nights.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • anOmisanOmis Posts: 223
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I test drove the new american deluxe last weekend. lovely. Great setup great feel locking tuners. The S-1 switch is very nice. It wasn't ash so I didn't buy it. I think I'm the lone strat lover on the board. I thought it was great. Having playe the old ones, it's not seasoned like they are with age but it's still quite good. It's not quite in the league with a John Suhr, Don Grosh or Tom Anderson but all those guitars are master built and twice the price.

*stares at u in envy*
    ~~dont mind yer make up, just make up yer mind~~

~~its better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you are not~~

F.ZAPPA
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I think I'm the lone strat lover on the board.

i've had three over the years. i like mine now that i've got the noiseless stacks in it. the stock pups in mine had no balls.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i've had three over the years. i like mine now that i've got the noiseless stacks in it. the stock pups in mine had no balls.

yeah, that's one thing I'm worried about on the new strat. I can always change the pups later though. I doubt that switch could be too difficult to hook up.

The SC1's are pretty good though, they are stacked as well.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it can't be anything more than any other push/pull switch.

those cobalts are nice i'm sure. i've not had a chance to hear them yet.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    it can't be anything more than any other push/pull switch.

those cobalts are nice i'm sure. i've not had a chance to hear them yet.

really similar to any classic strat p/u. with the addition of that different set of configuration options with the switch in. I think it sounds more full and round with the swich in. It was nice through a twin but I'd have liked to have my pedals there to boost the gain a little. That amps way to loud to crank in the store or anywhere really.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I bought a 57 RI last Septmeber and haven't had one thing to complain about. Just about everyone who picks up my axe wants to buy it, the tone is unreal and it has a high pitched twang that I haven't been able t duplicate on any other Strats I have played.

It doesn't hurt that it is vintage blonde white either :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Originally posted by JofZ
    I bought a 57 RI last Septmeber and haven't had one thing to complain about. Just about everyone who picks up my axe wants to buy it, the tone is unreal and it has a high pitched twang that I haven't been able t duplicate on any other Strats I have played.

It doesn't hurt that it is vintage blonde white either :)

My next purchase, either in August or September, will be the 57 RI Strat. But I'm gonna go with the two-tone sunburst.

I'm a fan of rosewood, that's what I got on my '72 Custom Tele RI last year, so how's the maple fretboard feel? Did you change the 3-way to a 5-way?
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • GotShit9GotShit9 Posts: 6
    Just got a mim black standard strat like a month ago, whut do ya think would be the first upgrade i should go for??
    Life's tough.
    It's tougher if you're stupid.
    Originally posted by WiLL75
    My next purchase, either in August or September, will be the 57 RI Strat. But I'm gonna go with the two-tone sunburst.

I'm a fan of rosewood, that's what I got on my '72 Custom Tele RI last year, so how's the maple fretboard feel? Did you change the 3-way to a 5-way?

I love the maple fret, the neck everything! The two-tone is beautiful, it was my second choice. I left the 3-way in, and have no plans to swap it out for the 5 way. My only complaint is the saddles are pretty soft, I must have gone through 10-15 sets of strings. I got it set up again, had the saddles smoothed out and hopefully it will hold.

Enjoy the axe.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    yeah I love the 57 strat too, although my favorite color was the candy apple red.
    yeah I love the 57 strat too, although my favorite color was the candy apple red.

I don't think there is a bad color, well maybe Mary kay pink. I love the sunbursts and vintage colors.

Hey Pac, damn Zach Vex he has too many cool toys for my budget :)
    I think I want a wah probe, those therimins are really cool.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

I don't think there is a bad color, well maybe Mary kay pink. I love the sunbursts and vintage colors.

Hey Pac, damn Zach Vex he has too many cool toys for my budget :)
    I think I want a wah probe, those therimins are really cool.

yeah, he get's up there in price.

have you checked out Dave Fox's repitoire lately?

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com

he's kind of up there too but nice stuff.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    I bought a 50th anniversary Deluxe Strat.
    It's pretty much a perfect guitar (for a strat)
    The cobalt pickups are really quiet, the fretwork is perfect. The edges of the fretboard are rounded and comfortable.

I put 11's on it, and adjusted the vibrato bar and I haven't had to tune it since!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • well i have a Highway one strat. love it. i know its not exactly a great american strat, but its good. I think its great, everyone likes to bash the highway 1s becuz they arent a standard american, but w/e, i think they're still better than the mexican models.
    Leave your girlfriend on a cement floor...
    Toronto 09/19/05
    Toronto 05/09/06
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    For good fender reviews go to fenderforum.com... they got a heap of info. I got a 60's reissue 2 weeks ago... its mexican but sounds awesome... all vintage parts ect too. I wanna get the action lowered a little, but aside from that... its perfect.
    Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    I love the maple fret, the neck everything! The two-tone is beautiful, it was my second choice. I left the 3-way in, and have no plans to swap it out for the 5 way. My only complaint is the saddles are pretty soft, I must have gone through 10-15 sets of strings. I got it set up again, had the saddles smoothed out and hopefully it will hold.

Enjoy the axe.

So I should be prepared to file the saddles a bit if I start breakin strings? I'll hopefully have it by September. Still need to save up some more $$$ so I can pay off my credit card bill right after the guitar purchase.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com