R6 first impression

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
The R6 first impression
The fedex man brought me a prize yesterday. An R6. purchased new online for a used price.

First impressions after playing for about four hours or so. Very happy with this... the moment I picked it up I could tell it was a good guitar and that it would fit me well.

When my 335 arrived a few weeks ago, the moment I picked it up, I could tell I didn't like the neck or balance. This was the total opposite. The guitar just felt good to hold.

Playing unplugged (what I did last night for about three of the hours) the guitar really sings. Great resonance throughout the entire body and neck, good balance, the guitar was setup very well too. The tailpiece is pretty much flush with the body(how I prefer to setup a tunomatic) and every note on the guitar had a balanced and strong tone to it. Sustain is very good.

The neck is big but not overwhelming... I like a big neck to fill my hand. I experienced none of the hand fatigue that convinced me to return the 335. The neck isn't as fast for lead work as the slim taper... but lead work isn't my thing. Riffs and chords feel great on this neck, you can really dig in.

This is my first LP, but a good guitar is a good guitar... This guitar is even better for me, because I can tell it fits my playing very well.

The build quality is very good as well. As I said, the whole guitar really resonates and feels solid (that is the most important construction aspect). The finish looks good, there are some minor areas where it is not perfect. A pencil thin line of polish compound near the binding by the selector switch and on the underside of the neck where the pickguard would rest... but I had to really stare to see them. Finish is smooth all around.

Plugged in to a Twin Reverb the guitar sounds BIG. Riffs, chords, etc... all big and lively. Time will tell if the pickups, pots, and tuners are going to stay... but this guitar is a keeper
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    House53 wrote:
    The R6 first impression
    The fedex man brought me a prize yesterday. An R6. purchased new online for a used price.

First impressions after playing for about four hours or so. Very happy with this... the moment I picked it up I could tell it was a good guitar and that it would fit me well.

When my 335 arrived a few weeks ago, the moment I picked it up, I could tell I didn't like the neck or balance. This was the total opposite. The guitar just felt good to hold.

Playing unplugged (what I did last night for about three of the hours) the guitar really sings. Great resonance throughout the entire body and neck, good balance, the guitar was setup very well too. The tailpiece is pretty much flush with the body(how I prefer to setup a tunomatic) and every note on the guitar had a balanced and strong tone to it. Sustain is very good.

The neck is big but not overwhelming... I like a big neck to fill my hand. I experienced none of the hand fatigue that convinced me to return the 335. The neck isn't as fast for lead work as the slim taper... but lead work isn't my thing. Riffs and chords feel great on this neck, you can really dig in.

This is my first LP, but a good guitar is a good guitar... This guitar is even better for me, because I can tell it fits my playing very well.

The build quality is very good as well. As I said, the whole guitar really resonates and feels solid (that is the most important construction aspect). The finish looks good, there are some minor areas where it is not perfect. A pencil thin line of polish compound near the binding by the selector switch and on the underside of the neck where the pickguard would rest... but I had to really stare to see them. Finish is smooth all around.

Plugged in to a Twin Reverb the guitar sounds BIG. Riffs, chords, etc... all big and lively. Time will tell if the pickups, pots, and tuners are going to stay... but this guitar is a keeper

WooHoo!
    I bet you are happy and I think you made a great decision, welcome to LP club, I doubt you go back to anything else :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    JofZ wrote:
    WooHoo!
    I bet you are happy and I think you made a great decision, welcome to LP club, I doubt you go back to anything else :)

Thanks... it really does suit me. That is for sure.

Now for the amp. I am really thinking a Twin Reverb. The reissue I played on last night really sounded great with the guitar... in fact I can not think of a time when a Twin sounded bad to my ears.
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Ha ha, I give it 6 mo.

:D.

Congrats.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    House53 wrote:
    Thanks... it really does suit me. That is for sure.

Now for the amp. I am really thinking a Twin Reverb. The reissue I played on last night really sounded great with the guitar... in fact I can not think of a time when a Twin sounded bad to my ears.
    Twins are great amps, I wonder what you will think of my Allen. If you can hold off, maybe you can hear mine when you come into town?
    I think the RIs leave something to be desired tone wise, but you can upgrade the components and be right there.
    What is a twin RI going for?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    JofZ wrote:
    Twins are great amps, I wonder what you will think of my Allen. If you can hold off, maybe you can hear mine when you come into town?
    I think the RIs leave something to be desired tone wise, but you can upgrade the components and be right there.
    What is a twin RI going for?

Well, I played a bit at lunch.

The tweed bassman and the lp were quite a match... awesome overdriven tones and very responsive. Cleans were nice too, throw a reverb pedal in there, and I almost prefered those tones to the twin.

Bassman in the lead.

Twin RI used goes for about $700... Bassman LTD used for about $850 or so.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Well, I played a bit at lunch.

The tweed bassman and the lp were quite a match... awesome overdriven tones and very responsive. Cleans were nice too, throw a reverb pedal in there, and I almost prefered those tones to the twin.

Bassman in the lead.

Twin RI used goes for about $700... Bassman LTD used for about $850 or so.

Hey I saw your post on the other board ;)
    if you want SOS strings let me know Dean is a good buddy of mine!

I would go with the bassman, but it all depends on your mood for the day I guess LOL. You can build your own Allen for about the same for what it is worth.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Hey I saw your post on the other board ;)
    if you want SOS strings let me know Dean is a good buddy of mine!

I would go with the bassman, but it all depends on your mood for the day I guess LOL. You can build your own Allen for about the same for what it is worth.

Yeah, well SRV isn't any good... he hardly had any musical education. :D

I might have to try the SOS strings for the hell of it...

I think the bassman will be coming home with me later today. It does depend on my mood for the day, but I pretty much decided this week to finalize things and play music.

That's how it is with me... if I am not playing, I am tinkering...

Do you play the SOS strings?
    There's No Code.
    I want some snake oil strings!

and I'm all for the Tweed. I like the Bassman LTD better than the tweed Twin.

Reverbs can be found, and found relatively cheap. next time you check it out take a look at the Digitech Digiverb. (50 bucks cost, around 90+ street)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I want some snake oil strings!

and I'm all for the Tweed. I like the Bassman LTD better than the tweed Twin.

Reverbs can be found, and found relatively cheap. next time you check it out take a look at the Digitech Digiverb. (50 bucks cost, around 90+ street)

or I could get the victoria reverberato (sp?) only $1,595 list price. Stand alone reverb and vibrato in tweed... Like you said, though I can add a reverb pedal if needed.

So, we have one vote for the Bassman.
    There's No Code.
    Well we all know SRV sux balls and Page has no chops, I tell you it is all about the clothes :)

Yes, I only use SOS strings. I found out about them maybe a year ago and was like what the hell I'll buy a set. I spent an hour on the phone with Dean and realized these were not going to be a joke or an empty promise based on posts. Dean is the man when it comes to strings!
    I have nothing but the best to say about him, his service, his knowledge and he has many friends who are good to know wink wink.
    He is working on his website, but the best way to buy them is to AIM him leomuser@aol.com
    Mention my name Jason Z and he will hook you up.
    I usually mention stuff on here that I have had good luck with or feel is worth the money. I never thought you guys would be down for $6 strings, but they last 4ever, I break GHS boomers in 3 days and my SOS last 4 weeks on my strat, I am on the same set of SOS on my LP since I bought it in May. The tone for the nickels is pure vintage, think Little Wing for Strats. If you can play it and have a strat, put these babies on and tell me what you think. IMO this is the single most important thing I have done to improve my tone outside of practicing.

And I think you can always get out of the Bassman for what you paid for it if you don't like it down the road, I can't say the same for the twin. Reverbs like Pac said are cheap and I am sure you can find an EH pedal on fleabay for little money.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Page? don't get me started...

The strings sound good. I play D-Addarios and they last about a month for me on any of the guitars I play... at least when practicing and gigging... now I don't change the strings as much.

Most likely the Bassman will have an alright resale value, that is true.

I am ready to go home and play some guitar... that's for sure.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Page? don't get me started...

The strings sound good. I play D-Addarios and they last about a month for me on any of the guitars I play... at least when practicing and gigging... now I don't change the strings as much.

Most likely the Bassman will have an alright resale value, that is true.

I am ready to go home and play some guitar... that's for sure.

We should start a new thread over there, who was the best dressed Lead guitarist? LOL
    Did I tell you Splatte and Matte both emailed me and apologized, both are platinum selling artists from what I have been told. I said what does that mean? they said well, both have played on some huge selling albums, OK so their opinions are now scipture LOL

Have a great weekend! Play that axe!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    We should start a new thread over there, who was the best dressed Lead guitarist? LOL
    Did I tell you Splatte and Matte both emailed me and apologized, both are platinum selling artists from what I have been told. I said what does that mean? they said well, both have played on some huge selling albums, OK so their opinions are now scipture LOL

Leave a note that says.....Fred Durst went platinum. :D
    JofZ wrote:

Well, that's cool for their sake, but like Pac said. Fred Durst went platinum, unfortunately that weakens the accomplishments of many greats.

They didn't apologize to me... I feel offended. I would love to have one of those Koll guitars that Splatte has been playing... very cool.

I think we need to start more Pearl Jam threads... talk about McCready's lead tone on Half Full. Just like any internet board, they have cliques and such. It happens all the time.
    There's No Code.
    Matte is actually coming through Chicago, we will see what he is like in person. My theory about boards is proven more right every day.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/normal_Retard_Win.jpg

In all seriousness, I give credit where credit is due. Clay Aiken, Josh Grobain, The Spice Girls, Pink, all of these people including Creed have had a platinum album, are they lucky or talented? I think they were all put in the "machine" and used and if that is what you want then more power to you. If and when I hear the 2 guys work I will make up my own mind if they are and I quote "pushing music to new levels" as of right now they appear to spend more time on the net then in the studio, what does that indicate?

Anytime you post I read your threads, most of the time you are getting better feedback then I can provide, and I really hate Mr. Hanky so I try to stay away from him at all costs LOL
    I will be more then happy to back you up on any PJ thread, I have my homework done on that subject, just be ready to fire specific examples. I know why many of the guys who actually build stay off that board, it is a house of IKEs and I don't mean Tina's Ike ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDetails.aspx?Dealer=2f5ee028-a1b5-4f22-a564-03452952fc2a&Item=816904

I know you all wanted to get me a wedding gift... here's a nice one.

Weber makes a version of the Mass with a direct line out, it can be ordered in a tweed box too.
    There's No Code.
    JofZ wrote:
    Anytime you post I read your threads

Uh oh... I should be careful with what I say then... :D

My cover is blown.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDetails.aspx?Dealer=2f5ee028-a1b5-4f22-a564-03452952fc2a&Item=816904

I know you all wanted to get me a wedding gift... here's a nice one.

Weber makes a version of the Mass with a direct line out, it can be ordered in a tweed box too.

As Sean at Lovepedal told me, it is the only amp he would be without playing or seeing (they are that good), we will all chip in for your wedding gift if we can all play it for the first month :)
    You also need a trailer trash pedal board:
    http://www.trailertrashpedalboards.com/gallery.htm
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    As Sean at Lovepedal told me, it is the only amp he would be without playing or seeing (they are that good), we will all chip in for your wedding gift if we can all play it for the first month :)
    You also need a trailer trash pedal board:
    http://www.trailertrashpedalboards.com/gallery.htm

Absolutely, all around! Victorias are very nice indeed.

Those pedal boards are pretty nice as well, I like the blue glow board.

The sad part about the Vic there is it isn't even an amp... just reverb and vibrato for $1299, used.
    There's No Code.
    I will take a Tweed covered, Triple Wide Clyde in Blue glow top please...

Only about $1000 for a pedal board... it is a good deal. lol
    There's No Code.