Ex was right... less than two days.

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, I have been on a bit of a GAS bender recently... I have tried out so many guitars and returned/exchanged about 5 guitars over the past month.

Tuesday, I took home a Setzer 6120 SSLVO... for about $2750 out the door with tax... good price and cool guitar. I thought I was done. Ex predicted less than two days... he was right.

Like any good addict I went back to the source... GC in this case. Looked around and tried a bunch of guitars... what did I find... A Black Phoenix! I hadn't played one in person before, but knew the specs.

I had owned a Silver Falcon for a short while and loved the looks, but didn't bond with the tones/feedback (especially for live work)... the Phoenix is a beast.

FYI, a Phoenix is a Silver Falcon with the following mods:

Lacquer finish, TV Jones pups, pinned tunomatic bridge, v cut bigsby, trestle bracing (more sustain), "hot rodded" setup with only volume and pup selector, shorter fretboard radius.

The best part, the price. $1799 (these normally retail for about $3600, list $4550) I paid about $1950 out the door! I am not kidding. So I pocket $750 and get the Phoenix.

It was the gear powers that be... telling me... "Remember that cool Gretsch you sold, well we heard your 'complaints' about it and put this together, made a ridiculous sale, and drove you to the store. Alright? Stop this you silly SOB... and here is some advice:KEEP IT!" :D
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    House53 wrote:
    Well, I have been on a bit of a GAS bender recently... I have tried out so many guitars and returned/exchanged about 5 guitars over the past month.

Tuesday, I took home a Setzer 6120 SSLVO... for about $2750 out the door with tax... good price and cool guitar. I thought I was done. Ex predicted less than two days... he was right.

Like any good addict I went back to the source... GC in this case. Looked around and tried a bunch of guitars... what did I find... A Black Phoenix! I hadn't played one in person before, but knew the specs.

I had owned a Silver Falcon for a short while and loved the looks, but didn't bond with the tones/feedback (especially for live work)... the Phoenix is a beast.

FYI, a Phoenix is a Silver Falcon with the following mods:

Lacquer finish, TV Jones pups, pinned tunomatic bridge, v cut bigsby, trestle bracing (more sustain), "hot rodded" setup with only volume and pup selector, shorter fretboard radius.

The best part, the price. $1799 (these normally retail for about $3600, list $4550) I paid about $1950 out the door! I am not kidding. So I pocket $750 and get the Phoenix.

It was the gear powers that be... telling me... "Remember that cool Gretsch you sold, well we heard your 'complaints' about it and put this together, made a ridiculous sale, and drove you to the store. Alright? Stop this you silly SOB... and here is some advice:KEEP IT!" :D

Ha Ha I was right, just a week premature ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    JofZ wrote:
    Ha Ha I was right, just a week premature ;)

you were sort of right... I will give it to you on a technicality.

the phoenix feels a lot better than the falcon though... the lacquer is well done, and I like the response with the improved bracing. the TVs are nice too.

I also like the extra $$ for Vegas coming up. (My wife likes that too, she is making dinner reservations and buying show tickets this week.)

I just scored an EGDM off of TGP. So that's on its way too.
    There's No Code.
    http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6136SLBP&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

the details... I have no tatoos, and no naked lady decals on the guitar... yet.
    There's No Code.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    House53 wrote:
    you were sort of right... I will give it to you on a technicality.

the phoenix feels a lot better than the falcon though... the lacquer is well done, and I like the response with the improved bracing. the TVs are nice too.

I also like the extra $$ for Vegas coming up. (My wife likes that too, she is making dinner reservations and buying show tickets this week.)

I just scored an EGDM off of TGP. So that's on its way too.

Bonus!!!
    Now step away from the CP or you will find something else to buy LOL
    You are going to dig that EGDM. What S/N is it?

I am planning a Chicago Tone Fest June 3rd and 4th, I'll post details about it next week, but pencil it in on your schedule. You wont want to miss this ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    JofZ wrote:
    Bonus!!!
    Now step away from the CP or you will find something else to buy LOL
    You are going to dig that EGDM. What S/N is it?

I am planning a Chicago Tone Fest June 3rd and 4th, I'll post details about it next week, but pencil it in on your schedule. You wont want to miss this ;)

I think the EGDM is a recent make...

I do need to make a trip to Chicago.
    There's No Code.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    House53 wrote:
    Ex predicted less than two days... he was right.

pwned.......
    exhausted wrote:
    pwned.......

touche!! lol

Any predictions on this one? ;)
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    a more lastable color anyhow.

Keep this one

6 months at least. this is as good as the other for 750 cheaper you have to do that deal.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    House53 wrote:
    touche!! lol

Any predictions on this one? ;)

no, i'll quit while i'm ahead. :p