Well who guessed that the TopHat would go first... You Win

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Martin D-18 VE... my new acoustic

I traded my beloved TopHat King Royale and picked up a 2005 Martin D-18 VE... it is the Vintage series D-18 with the fishman ellipse system installed.

It is a beauty. The tones are like you would expect from a well broken in guitar, but it is less than a year old. Really nice tones to be had... very mellow and smooth with clarity like a good mahogany dread should sound.

It was the best Martin in the shop for feel, playability, and tone. The quality and feel of this one blew away the other acoustics in the room except for one Breedlove and one Gibson Hummingbird.

Proof that acoustics really are a case by case situation to find a winner.

I played all sorts of Stones acoustic numbers last night... Angie, Dead Flowers, Sister Morphine, Sweet Virginia, Salt of the Earth... they all sounded great.

Just sharing my excitement...
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Ha ha. SCORE!!! I WIN.

It's true though, you can play 2 acoustics of the same model and brand and still find tone differences. Glad you found a good one.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Ha ha. SCORE!!! I WIN.

It's true though, you can play 2 acoustics of the same model and brand and still find tone differences. Glad you found a good one.

I will send you some used strings and speaker wire...

Before I made the trade I took the Heritage G12H out of the KR and swapped it with the Mojo 30 in the Savage... the G12H really sounds good in the Savage... much more full throughout.

I had quite an argument with the guy at the shop... he wanted to offer me less for the amp because it didn't have "original speakers"... it had an Alnico Blue in it... I was almost ready to take the amp home and put two cheap celestions in, bring it back and say... I found the original speakers.

Amazing. At the end of the day... I got what I put into the TopHat... that's a good turn.
    There's No Code.
    he got angry because of the alnico blue? Idiot.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    he got angry because of the alnico blue? Idiot.

I told him I would be happy to take it back out... (I only left it in because it wouldn't fit in my Savage) and it sounds so good with the KR I wanted to pass along the good tone...

I just calmly explained that it is a major upgrade, if he didn't like it I would be happy to arrange for another speaker... then he played it.

the G12H makes the Savage sound big... my revelation with amps... if it has more knobs than I can count on one hand... it probably isn't for me.

The Macht really reminds me of the Ghia... those two are hands down my favorite amps I have owned.

Did I tell you I exchanged the Relic tele? I picked up an R4 instead... Now I am done for the year on major gear trading... only pups, effects, etc. are in play.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I told him I would be happy to take it back out... (I only left it in because it wouldn't fit in my Savage) and it sounds so good with the KR I wanted to pass along the good tone...

I just calmly explained that it is a major upgrade, if he didn't like it I would be happy to arrange for another speaker... then he played it.

the G12H makes the Savage sound big... my revelation with amps... if it has more knobs than I can count on one hand... it probably isn't for me.

The Macht really reminds me of the Ghia... those two are hands down my favorite amps I have owned.

Did I tell you I exchanged the Relic tele? I picked up an R4 instead... Now I am done for the year on major gear trading... only pups, effects, etc. are in play.

Is it in Oxblood? I loves Oxblood.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Is it in Oxblood? I loves Oxblood.

No goldtop, wraptail, P-90s.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    No goldtop, wraptail, P-90s.

Mig is going to be jealous. Hell I'm jealous. wow. I bet it's nice.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Mig is going to be jealous. Hell I'm jealous. wow. I bet it's nice.

It like the Martin... was the best Les Paul in the shop... The R9 was a bit better... but the cost was too much to justify.

I am a P90 guy anyways... you all know that.
    There's No Code.