Top Hat Club Royale, Any experiences?

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am looking at the Top Hat Club Royale... it is a 212 model.

Do any of you have experience with Top Hat amps...
I would be trading my Dr. Z Maz 18... looking for a bit more british flavor to my overdrives... I have always tried to duplicate the tone of my AC-15... but with different amps..

Any Voxy tones in this one?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by House53
    I am looking at the Top Hat Club Royale... it is a 212 model.

Do any of you have experience with Top Hat amps...
    I would be trading my Dr. Z Maz 18... looking for a bit more british flavor to my overdrives... I have always tried to duplicate the tone of my AC-15... but with different amps..

Any Voxy tones in this one?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Got a buddy with one, he likes it. They are built out in southern California.

If it's 4 EL-84's it should be rather british but then so should your MAZ. I believe Dr. Z uses a fender tonestack. I'm not quite sure about the Top Hats.

Played any Matchless amps lately? I think you'd dig the lightning.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I played a Matchless Clubman... very cool, but not quite my style, and not my price... $2149 for a head.

The overdrive on the Maz is a bit to grindy... it bugs me after a while... it lacks something in the midrange... not midrange volume... but a characteristic.

Are the tophats well made and reliable? I know the Z is tip top for build quality.
    There's No Code.
    I played a Matchless Clubman... very cool, but not quite my style, and not my price... $2149 for a head.

The overdrive on the Maz is a bit to grindy... it bugs me after a while... it lacks something in the midrange... not midrange volume... but a characteristic.

Are the tophats well made and reliable? I know the Z is tip top for build quality.

as far as I know yeah. It is a tiny custom shop and they are hand built like Z I don't know if they are PTP or not. but you'd need to check harmony central for better opinions or I believe http://www.fatsoundguitars.com in NC stocks them.

You could always go with an Orange! :)

I think you might be able to find more british sound out of a prescription or a KT-45 too.

What about a Fargen?

soundclips at http://www.musictoyz.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    They are PTP. I just don't see a lot of info regarding the quality of workmanship... every says they have great customer support though... which is reassuring.

I have played Oranges and if I could have multiple amps, I would get one... they have a signature sound that is distinctly Orange.

I have looked at Fargen's, but I have heard some generally unimpressed comments on some of their models... just that they lack any mojo... don't think that's entirely true... but it's what I hear.
    There's No Code.
    They are PTP. I just don't see a lot of info regarding the quality of workmanship... every says they have great customer support though... which is reassuring.

I have played Oranges and if I could have multiple amps, I would get one... they have a signature sound that is distinctly Orange.

I have looked at Fargen's, but I have heard some generally unimpressed comments on some of their models... just that they lack any mojo... don't think that's entirely true... but it's what I hear.

could be. Have you tried any of your boosters or tube screamers with the MAZ?

it might just need a little character enhancement. A nice dark fuzz like something modelled after a sola sound tonebender.

Jimmy Paigeish dark fuzz. just set the max and control with your volume knob.

Chances are you still want to stay simple. I wonder how british the Savage's get. There's always Rivera or a way to loud used Bogner Shiva

oh by the way, how is the wiggler?
    the wiggler is great...

I use it on Misty Mountain Hop to get that organ tone... I use it on Strange brew for a cool effect on the solo... different settings for those...
    There's No Code.
    the wiggler is great...

I use it on Misty Mountain Hop to get that organ tone... I use it on Strange brew for a cool effect on the solo... different settings for those...

so it is leslieish. Is it nice and warm?
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    so it is leslieish. Is it nice and warm?

It is very warm... sounds great with my tele, neck pup, with the tone rolled off just a bit...

it still cuts through too, liquidy...

I am very happy with it... much cheaper than some equivalents and it does the trick for me.
    There's No Code.
    It is very warm... sounds great with my tele, neck pup, with the tone rolled off just a bit...

it still cuts through too, liquidy...

I am very happy with it... much cheaper than some equivalents and it does the trick for me.

yeah I was there too. The H&K is nice, but I don't think it's worth another hundred and fifty bucks.
    I just don't like to spend too much on effects. I use them very sparingly... so I need to save my money for amps and guitars. :)
    There's No Code.