Going back to the SG... '61 reissue on its way

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well,

I tried something new, and I learned... I am getting an SG again to go with my tele... if I am going to have one electric guitar, it's a tele, two a tele and an SG... three, then a hollowbody of some kind.

I found a '61 reissue SG for about $1000, not cheap, but a good price. I sold the Gretsch back to the original owner. He said he missed it.

I am looking forward to playing this guitar, I get it tomorrow. One piece mahogany body, one piece neck (it feels a little thinner than my PT, but not much), '57 classic humbuckers, small guard, neck binding, nice inlays, etc... a first class guitar.

I had these pups in my 335 I used to own, and I know how SGs play... this is a great combination of those two... beautiful wood grain as well.

Also, I have some potential band happenings on the horizon... so good things are happening in Texas.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i knew you'd go back. :)
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    exhausted wrote:
    i knew you'd go back. :)

I think it's a case where I played that kind of guitar so much, I grew accustomed to it.

I will do a windmill on it first thing.
    There's No Code.
    it's just has a degree of feel and and tone that i haven't found in anything else yet. and it's so easy to play. if anything ever happens to mine it's getting replaced immediately with another one.

i'm glad you got your mitts on another one.
    exhausted wrote:
    it's just has a degree of feel and and tone that i haven't found in anything else yet. and it's so easy to play. if anything ever happens to mine it's getting replaced immediately with another one.

i'm glad you got your mitts on another one.

thanks, I am also glad and I know what you mean.

Now it's time to... KICK OUT THE JAMS!!!
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    My personal favorite SG. Beautiful grain, rich thick sound. I wonder if you'll miss the P90 at all. If you do as much as you like EL84 amps, A ric 330 will suit you nicely.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    My personal favorite SG. Beautiful grain, rich thick sound. I wonder if you'll miss the P90 at all. If you do as much as you like EL84 amps, A ric 330 will suit you nicely.

I'm sure I will miss the P-90 tones a bit... however, I was never a big fan of the P-90 bridge pup, I much prefer a tele bridge for sc tones... a neck P-90 is likely my favorite.

My good friend has been shopping for rics for a while, so I have played many. I dig the tones, but I don't dig the neck profile, too cramped and narrow for my tastes...

I am thinking I need to get some kind of an AC30 styled amp to complete my rig... the new voxes look tempting, as do tophats, hayseeds, and several other clones.
    There's No Code.
    perhaps try one of the fatcats or equivalent in the neck and leave the classic in the bridge. i'm seeing more and more of that configuration. might be worth a shot.

there's a dude named gordie johnson, a canadian guy who used to front big sugar and now lives in texas and plays with chris layton in a band called grady.... anyway, gibson made a signature SG for him. it was basically a 61 reissue with P94s.
    House53 wrote:
    I'm sure I will miss the P-90 tones a bit... however, I was never a big fan of the P-90 bridge pup, I much prefer a tele bridge for sc tones... a neck P-90 is likely my favorite.

My good friend has been shopping for rics for a while, so I have played many. I dig the tones, but I don't dig the neck profile, too cramped and narrow for my tastes...

I am thinking I need to get some kind of an AC30 styled amp to complete my rig... the new voxes look tempting, as do tophats, hayseeds, and several other clones.

well if you miss it there are tons of great neck P-90's that fit in that slot anyway.

I bet you and I would have a good afternoon trading licks on ES 125's

another Dr Z like a prescription extra strength should do you well.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    well if you miss it there are tons of great neck P-90's that fit in that slot anyway.

I bet you and I would have a good afternoon trading licks on ES 125's

another Dr Z like a prescription extra strength should do you well.

I would love an ES125... ultimate blues guitar to me.

I don't think I will put a single coil in this guitar... I have always enjoyed '57 classics... plus I like hb neck tones as well. it is a bit more round and warm than a P-90...

My potential amps include:
    AC30ish (see above)
    Carmen Ghia
    Fender Twin

I have been on a big Chuck Berry and Rolling Stones kick lately, so a Fender amp with a hb equipped Gibson is all over those records.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I would love an ES125... ultimate blues guitar to me.

I don't think I will put a single coil in this guitar... I have always enjoyed '57 classics... plus I like hb neck tones as well. it is a bit more round and warm than a P-90...

My potential amps include:
    AC30ish (see above)
    Carmen Ghia
    Fender Twin

I have been on a big Chuck Berry and Rolling Stones kick lately, so a Fender amp with a hb equipped Gibson is all over those records.

57 Twin. Just plug in. It's hella expensive, but holy crap.

I saw a stones tribute band just last weekend.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    57 Twin. Just plug in. It's hella expensive, but holy crap.

I saw a stones tribute band just last weekend.

I plan to see a stones tribute band in a couple of weeks they are playing in Houston with a Zepplin band, ACDC, and Pink Floyd setup... all part of a festival.

I looked at those new twins... they are amazing, and you are right... just plug and play. I may have to wait for some used versions to hit the market... I may be able to scrounge up $1500 over the next few months... a lot better than the $2000 + for the new one.

Get a fender reverb unit, set it and run with your volume knobs... awesome tone.

However, there is nothing better to my ears with a telecaster than an AC-30. Killer.

so, that's a tough decision.
    There's No Code.