Fender Super Twin Reverb... $399, my new amp

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Went to the local GC to play the new guitar through some better amplifiers... and at a higher volume.

Found a very clean Super Twin Reverb... it was made in the late 70s, but looked better than some of the new amps in the store.

Played it for a while, a/b'd with some Twin Reverbs, Supers, and an old Bandmaster. Then the price $399 vs. $800-$1000 for the others... I was sold. I picked up a TS9 distortion and a Duncan Pedal Booster too...

The amp is big, 180 watts form six 6L6 tubes, obviously clean is its thing. Veru warm and fat tones on hand, not quite as warm as a twin, but the twin wasn't $400 better. It has an odd active eq section that is foot switchable, and a distortion knob, pretty nasty. Also, a master volume (which never went above 3) a good thing.

Big fender tone on the cheap. The 335 sounds great with that power behind it... very much like 70s rolling stones tone, and I got a very convincing Ledbetter tone out of it too.

It weighs approximately 4 metric tons, other than that... good stuff. :)

So, do I have enough wattage on hand?
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Ah Paul Rivera Era.

Cool find. Great at 400 bucks. I love the tone of 335's with plenty of power behind them. 180 watts is overrating that I think. It's probably closer to 160 that's where Mesa rates their six 6L6 amps. Maybe 180 with 6550's. Either way it's a cubic ass load of power on the cheap really.

Find the right OD and it will smoke, now you're going to have to own a ranch so you can actually play it. Nah, not really, it'll just be super clean. Great, most good blues amps are to a point. the OD's will help.

WHat you'll get is power force and guts behind it. Muscle. Kick ass.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    good lord that's a lot of power.

i'd probably miss the ability to drive the power tubes hard but if the TS9 works well with it, no problem.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    exhausted wrote:
    good lord that's a lot of power.

i'd probably miss the ability to drive the power tubes hard but if the TS9 works well with it, no problem.

The TS9 really did sounds nice... and like Pac said, the power behind it really makes it sing. The pickup booster with the 335 gave me a nice semi dirty tone too... with the master turned down you can turn up the front end a bit.

Lots of push behind it all makes for a really strong tone.

I don't expect anything but clean tones and some reverb from it.

I will just point the amp your way, then you can give it a listen.
    There's No Code.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    pretty much. man that's a lotta watts. :D
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    exhausted wrote:
    pretty much. man that's a lotta watts. :D

If I ever get a heavy handed drummer in a band, I can teach him a lesson really quick...

Or I can play MSG. It gives you options.
    There's No Code.