Trade consideration... What does everyone think?

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have been offered a trade for my SG Townshend... I know the general consensus regarding the Townshend here: keep it forever.

As you all know, I like to shake things up a bit and look at trades.

The offer...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50824

This guitar, minus the "mudflap girl" in the upper right hand corner and a H&K Rotosphere for my SG.

I don't need the Rotosphere, but they sell for $350 on ebay, so that is why I am interested.

The guitar looks great and has options that I really like. Some of you know my talking about a tele with a humbucker for a while.

Anyways, just looking for some perspective and other opinions.

Thanks
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    build some kind of trial period clause into the deal in case you don't like the feel of it once it's in your hands.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I think we would make the exchange in person... he lives in Nashville, and that's not too bad of a drive from STL... we could meet in the middle.

That's a good point though. It's always tough to know if a guitar is right for you without playing it first.
    There's No Code.
  • Man. Why trade? Youd be way better off to seel ur SG on ebay for a good 900-1100 and go buy a new fat Tele. Or a old fat tele. That guitar seems iffy to me. Especially that you are trading a rare and coveted guitar for a strange parts tele with alot of wear.

I am tottally against this trade just because there seems to be a better way of getitng that tele but better.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    Well, I have come to a similar conclusion, but for different reasons... I am not at liberty to discuss these reasons, but they prevent me from making the deal most likely.

I don't think that guitar is iffy, but I see your point.
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Monitarily you're ok. You won't keep that tele very long either. I'd even bet you go get a 335 a D-28 or some semblence of either soon after.

It's a decent trade for the money with the rotosphere going on Ebay.

Nice blues guitar. It will sound and feel vintage. Got to love the sunburst.

I wouldn't trade but that's me. You've been itching to go for a while.

Looks good for a 73. Love the "Muddy Waters" amp knobs.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    I suppose you are right...

Depending on my bonus at the end of the year I might be buying something along those lines... but the wedding savings come first.

The tele with a humbucker is a pretty versatile guitar. I do like the deluxe amp knobs... I almost put some on my homemade tele.

If I were to get that tele it wouldn't have much resale though... being a mutt as it is... so that wouldn't get me closer to a D-28 from what I can tell.

What's your latest guitar situation... I would feel bad getting rid of the SG and not at least offering it to you...
    There's No Code.
    Originally posted by House53
    I suppose you are right...

Depending on my bonus at the end of the year I might be buying something along those lines... but the wedding savings come first.

The tele with a humbucker is a pretty versatile guitar. I do like the deluxe amp knobs... I almost put some on my homemade tele.

If I were to get that tele it wouldn't have much resale though... being a mutt as it is... so that wouldn't get me closer to a D-28 from what I can tell.

What's your latest guitar situation... I would feel bad getting rid of the SG and not at least offering it to you...

Well, I've promised myself the strat now, so I'd probably pass. I think after I get tired of the LP Studio, I'll probably just get a junior or what ever I can find with P-90's I still really want the SG but I just can't do it right now.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Sounds like you have a plan.

I am a bit torn on this trade idea... I have always been a tele guy, and a humbucker equipped tele was a great tool when I had one...

What does a '73 tele neck sell for? I could replace it with a new neck if I don't like it...
    There's No Code.
    Originally posted by House53
    Sounds like you have a plan.

I am a bit torn on this trade idea... I have always been a tele guy, and a humbucker equipped tele was a great tool when I had one...

What does a '73 tele neck sell for? I could replace it with a new neck if I don't like it...

whatever someone will pay for it.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    whatever someone will pay for it.

Thanks for the insight ;)

I have seen some 70s Fenders go for more money in recent times... I wonder if this one would as well...

Anyways, I know once I go home and plug in I will make up my mind...
    There's No Code.
  • i'd keep the townshend. although the rotosphere is tempting. i love mine!!
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."