Bassman LTD takes the lead

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
well the Bassman LTD took the lead in the amp search this weekend.

add in some reverb and some overdrive and the thing really is great to my ears...

textured cleans... raw midrangey overdrive. Sounds big too.

Very cool stuff. The looks are great too.

http://www.tao-gitarrenlaedele.at/Amp%20Pics/Resources/bassmanmain.gif
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    House53 wrote:
    well the Bassman LTD took the lead in the amp search this weekend.

add in some reverb and some overdrive and the thing really is great to my ears...

textured cleans... raw midrangey overdrive. Sounds big too.

Very cool stuff. The looks are great too.

http://www.tao-gitarrenlaedele.at/Amp%20Pics/Resources/bassmanmain.gif

(for like 5 minutes :D)

yeah, I fell in love instantly with it to. However I was playing a Trussart Rusty Tele through it too.

It sounds gigantic with a 335.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    (for like 5 minutes :D)

yeah, I fell in love instantly with it to. However I was playing a Trussart Rusty Tele through it too.

It sounds gigantic with a 335.

Fair enough... :D

It sounds good with the 335 and the tele. I think I may actually purchase and keep this one. For a month or so...;)
    There's No Code.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    If I could have a pair of Deluxe Reverbs and a '59 Bassman RI, I'd be happy with that for the rest of my days. DR's on either side of the Bassman for stereo cleans, the Bassman in the middle for wicked drive. There's a reason that amp is in the top 3 of all time... (three-way tie between Bassman, Deluxe Reverb, and Plexi, with a Twin Reverb and Vox AC-30 rounding out the top 5).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    If I could have a pair of Deluxe Reverbs and a '59 Bassman RI, I'd be happy with that for the rest of my days. DR's on either side of the Bassman for stereo cleans, the Bassman in the middle for wicked drive. There's a reason that amp is in the top 3 of all time... (three-way tie between Bassman, Deluxe Reverb, and Plexi, with a Twin Reverb and Vox AC-30 rounding out the top 5).

I really like the cleans on the Bassman as well. They are not BF Fender cleans, a lot more mids, but I like them.
    There's No Code.
  • Are they putting spring reverb in those?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Are they putting spring reverb in those?

No onboard reverb. I have used a EH Holy Grail in my tests. It is a really simple circuit. volumes (you can jumper channels), middle, treble, bass, and presence.

The bassman has a much different tone than a Super/Deluxe. The clean sounds pretty good even without reverb. Where as to me, the Blackface clean tone IS the reverb. The bassman does NOT sound like a BF. It still has its own thing going though.
    There's No Code.
    Are they putting spring reverb in those?

no, std, bassman circuit. No reverb. No tremolo. It's a tweed.

That stuff came along later with the brown and blackfaces.

I love the blackface supers too, but one listen to the tone of the new bassman LTD and you'll be hooked.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I love the blackface supers too, but one listen to the tone of the new bassman LTD and you'll be hooked.

It really sounds great with this 335... I am having a hard time deciding if I should go for an LP because the 335 goes so well with the bassman.

It seems like that could be a real winning combination tone wise.

That's not to say that a P-90 LP wouldn't be great as well. These are all great guitars. I just know the LP isn't going to do what the 335 does.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    It really sounds great with this 335... I am having a hard time deciding if I should go for an LP because the 335 goes so well with the bassman.

It seems like that could be a real winning combination tone wise.

That's not to say that a P-90 LP wouldn't be great as well. These are all great guitars. I just know the LP isn't going to do what the 335 does.

Having recently heard an R(something 3 I think) LP Gold Top with P-90's into a Kendrick tweed in a blues club I can tell you definitively it will sound good.

However, unless you are lucky enough to get one of the 7 or 8 pounders, your back is not going to be happy with a Les Paul.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    in some fantasy world where i had to choose between a 335 and a les paul (assuming both high end models etc.), i'd take the 335.

that said, i will never let go of my les paul.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    You could always get a chambered Les paul and the tone is there as well as the quality. Good luck finding a gold top Cloud 9 it might be next to impossible.

I think the tweed/LP and tweed/335 tone is among some of the best out there. How could you possibly go wrong?

If you are looking for a trem pedal check out the swamp thang and the demeter tremulator, both are amazing and based on different trems. For reverb I would look for a fender stand alone on ebay or try and pick one up from Dave Allen, I think it sounds 1000 times better then a reverb pedal.

Weren't all the old Richards studio recording done with an LP or a tele and a tweed? His LP is for sale by the way, 400K ouch!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    JofZ wrote:

I think the tweed/LP and tweed/335 tone is among some of the best out there. How could you possibly go wrong?

Weren't all the old Richards studio recording done with an LP or a tele and a tweed? His LP is for sale by the way, 400K ouch!

Word.

Both are winners, that's for sure.
    There's No Code.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    The bassman ltd is what I might get next, either that or the RI of the Blues Deluxe. Either way, I will end up with three amps. I figure having a Bassman LTD and a RI Blues Deluxe to go along with my '73 Bassman 10 will give me many good sounding nights, whatever combination I use. :)
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com