seriously... I am out of control... off the wagon... gear whore supreme

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I did it again. I now have a Gretsch 6120 Setzer sig... I got that and $1000 for the D-28.

tough to pass up the $$ with Vegas in less than three weeks.

The Gretsch is another great guitar that I will find some thing wrong with... I really need to calm down and enjoy playing music... this guitar is a lifetime type guitar, and it has little meaning to me. I mean, I have it and it is cool... but I didn't save up for it, or wait to get it for years...

However, I need to cut myself off cold turkey on these big changes...

pedals can be my methodone... but I have to STOP!!

(tone report on the Gretsch to follow soon, lol)

oh yeah, I have a Star Nova amp too... very cool for at home low volume and direct recording stuff.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The first step is admitting you have a problem. :D

The second step is realizing you play keyboard in the band :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    The first step is admitting you have a problem. :D

The second step is realizing you play keyboard in the band :D

The third step is finding a band to play guitar in?

Or should I be obsessing over keyboard, vocal, and harp gear? Is that what you are telling me?

That's the thing, I am happy with my keyboard, mics, and harps... never think about changing them out.

Guitar gear I constantly change. It is going to stop.
    There's No Code.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Dude, its all good!
    Misery loves company ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    we need an intervention.
    House53 wrote:
    The third step is finding a band to play guitar in?

Or should I be obsessing over keyboard, vocal, and harp gear? Is that what you are telling me?

That's the thing, I am happy with my keyboard, mics, and harps... never think about changing them out.

Guitar gear I constantly change. It is going to stop.

I'm saying take a break. Stop looking for a while and enjoy what you have like you did with the band in Chicago. Constant turnover is fun, because theres always something new, at this point you are changing to fast to enjoy the greatness you have in your hands. Sit on the couch and sing love songs to your wife with the gretsch. It's the perfect acoustic instrument, you can play, and hear it, non amplified without pissing off the wife. BRILLIANT! You have greatness at your hands, by your feet and at the end of your instrument cable. STOP, desist, enjoy, play them for the rest of this year, then, think after the brief moritorium think about changing stuff up. maybe just 6 months. It'll give you time to think about what you like and what you don't about what you have.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    JofZ wrote:
    Dude, its all good!
    Misery loves company ;)

True enough.

The Grestch did sound ridiculous through the PPF (maxed) and honeybee into the Nova... like I mentioned. I could talk over it but it sounded like a wall of amps cranked up.

I do enjoy gretsch tones (neil young and PT style raunch). This guitar has all the "problems" from the other gretschs fixed.

1) tv jones pups
    2) fixed pinned tunomatic bridge
    3) nitro finish
    4) chrome hardware
    5) large V neck
    6) larger fretwire
    7) locking tuners
    8) trestle bracing (more solid, like a 335) = less feedback more sustain
    9) vintage radius on the fretboard (around 9.5")

Really feels tremendous... maybe I have a keeper ( :rolleyes:sorry I can't say that with a straight face anymore.)
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:

1) tv jones pups
    2) fixed pinned tunomatic bridge
    3) nitro finish
    4) chrome hardware
    5) large V neck
    6) larger fretwire
    7) locking tuners
    8) trestle bracing (more solid, like a 335) = less feedback more sustain
    9) vintage radius on the fretboard (around 9.5")

wow, what color?
    exhausted wrote:
    we need an intervention.

had one... not really, but my wife and I laid out our plans to buy a house this year and one of the decisions was to not spend extra $$ on gear.

In this deal I justified it becuase I brought money in... not bad in principal... but I had agreed to stop major trades.

So I need to clamp down on things other than pedals, cables, etc.
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'm saying take a break. Stop looking for a while and enjoy what you have like you did with the band in Chicago. Constant turnover is fun, because theres always something new, at this point you are changing to fast to enjoy the greatness you have in your hands. Sit on the couch and sing love songs to your wife with the gretsch. It's the perfect acoustic instrument, you can play, and hear it, non amplified without pissing off the wife. BRILLIANT! You have greatness at your hands, by your feet and at the end of your instrument cable. STOP, desist, enjoy, play them for the rest of this year, then, think after the brief moritorium think about changing stuff up. maybe just 6 months. It'll give you time to think about what you like and what you don't about what you have.

Good point(s). I agree, time to record and jam.
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    wow, what color?

Vintage Orange. I just need to replace the dice knobs, and the two spots with the Brian Setzer paraphanalia (pickguard and truss rod cover)

It is this model:
    http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6120SSLVO&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

with the plain maple, not flamed.
    There's No Code.
  • actually thats the guitar i want...but cant afford

look man i would do the same thing as you but i dont have money at all
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    House53 wrote:
    Vintage Orange. I just need to replace the dice knobs, and the two spots with the Brian Setzer paraphanalia (pickguard and truss rod cover)

It is this model:
    http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6120SSLVO&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

with the plain maple, not flamed.

That's so freaking awesome. the dice knobs I don't like but wow vintage orange is sick. A few open chords and let it roll. Nice. I'd probably go with chrome Tele knobs.
    2 days... tops.
    exhausted wrote:
    2 days... tops.

Thanks for that. Really.
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    That's so freaking awesome. the dice knobs I don't like but wow vintage orange is sick. A few open chords and let it roll. Nice. I'd probably go with chrome Tele knobs.

I think chrome gretsch knobs will be the easiest replacement. That and a plain truss rod cover, and a "Nashville" pickguard.

I need to do something to customize and therefore lock in this guitar.

I put a PJ sticker on the front of my tele Jr. it's not going anywhere now.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Thanks for that. Really.

oh come on. you know it's ridiculous. ;)
    exhausted wrote:
    oh come on. you know it's ridiculous. ;)

the binge I just went on is ridiculous... I will agree there. However, I really want to stop and get back to playing guitar not trading them.

I don't need any enablement... I need reinforcement.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    the binge I just went on is ridiculous... I will agree there. However, I really want to stop and get back to playing guitar not trading them.

ok, so bring us up to date.

Savage, Star - amps

Tele JR. Keef. Gretsch J200

and what?
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    ok, so bring us up to date.

Savage, Star - amps

Tele JR. Keef. Gretsch J200

and what?

savage, star

tele jr, tele, gretsch, j-200

ppf, hb, maxon

that is it for guitar gear.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    savage, star

tele jr, tele, gretsch, j-200

ppf, hb, maxon

that is it for guitar gear.

nice, what's the star like?
    House53 wrote:

hey i was telling you not to sell the townshend way back in the day.

i don't think anything short of your wife locking you in a room will stop you. much like myself. :)
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    There is a simple cure to your illness, go vintage. You'll never sell a really nice, clean vintage axe. The 25K question is which one should you buy :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    exhausted wrote:
    hey i was telling you not to sell the townshend way back in the day.

i don't think anything short of your wife locking you in a room will stop you. much like myself. :)

fair enough :)

Now I have both of Townshends two studio weapons... with the 6120 and the J200... time to work on some who style material
    There's No Code.