Audition for possible gig!!

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I replied to an ad for a singer to join up with a local cover band. I am going to set up an audition. They sent me a song list, and while some of the songs are not my thing, there is definitely common ground.

Smooth / Santana
Burn to Shine / Ben Harper
I Will Survive / Cake
Signed, Sealed, Delivered / Stevie Wonder
Get Back / The Beatles
Some Kind of Wonderful / Joss Stone
Favorite Mistake / Cheryl Crowe
Heaven / Los Lonely Boys
Message in a Bottle / The Police
Every Little Thing She Does is Magic / The Police
Cruisin' / Taj Mahal
Leavin' Trunk / Taj Mahal
Love You Like a Woman or Fight You Like a Man / Koko Taylor
That's What Love Will Make You Do / Little Milton
Night Time / Etta James
Sunday Kind of Love / Etta James
Brass in Pocket / The Pretenders
Chain Gang / The Pretenders
Middle of the Road / The Pretenders
Red House / Jimi Hendrix
Little Wing / Jimi Hendrix
Fire / Jimi Hendrix
Love Me Two Times / The Doors
Beast of Burden / The Rolling Stones
I'm Tore Down / Eric Clapton

They said they had a female vocalist before, which makes sense given some of the songs. I dig the Hendrix, Stones, Doors, and blues numbers.

It figures that I get an offer to gig before I can get a decent amp. That's how it goes sometimes though. I knew if I got rid of my SG, I would get a rock gig.

Hopefully, things go well. It would be nice to have a band again.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    House53 wrote:
    I replied to an ad for a singer to join up with a local cover band. I am going to set up an audition. They sent me a song list, and while some of the songs are not my thing, there is definitely common ground.

Smooth / Santana
    Burn to Shine / Ben Harper
    I Will Survive / Cake
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered / Stevie Wonder
    Get Back / The Beatles
    Some Kind of Wonderful / Joss Stone
    Favorite Mistake / Cheryl Crowe
    Heaven / Los Lonely Boys
    Message in a Bottle / The Police
    Every Little Thing She Does is Magic / The Police
    Cruisin' / Taj Mahal
    Leavin' Trunk / Taj Mahal
    Love You Like a Woman or Fight You Like a Man / Koko Taylor
    That's What Love Will Make You Do / Little Milton
    Night Time / Etta James
    Sunday Kind of Love / Etta James
    Brass in Pocket / The Pretenders
    Chain Gang / The Pretenders
    Middle of the Road / The Pretenders
    Red House / Jimi Hendrix
    Little Wing / Jimi Hendrix
    Fire / Jimi Hendrix
    Love Me Two Times / The Doors
    Beast of Burden / The Rolling Stones
    I'm Tore Down / Eric Clapton

They said they had a female vocalist before, which makes sense given some of the songs. I dig the Hendrix, Stones, Doors, and blues numbers.

It figures that I get an offer to gig before I can get a decent amp. That's how it goes sometimes though. I knew if I got rid of my SG, I would get a rock gig.

Hopefully, things go well. It would be nice to have a band again.

Uh, what's the issue? The vox is plenty loud enough to audition you could probably mic it for a while, and you've got a tele and a freaking GRETSCH?

What's the issue here?

Brian Setzer and Neil Young have made a decent career with a Gretsch.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Uh, what's the issue? The vox is plenty loud enough to audition you could probably mic it for a while, and you've got a tele and a freaking GRETSCH?

What's the issue here?

Brian Setzer and Neil Young have made a decent career with a Gretsch.

No issue. I am just saying. I get rid of my seasoned gig guitar, then I get a gig. :D The SG was like a warm blanket, I haven't reached that level of comfort with the Gretsch yet.

The real issue is that I am excited and hope we jive enough to work out a set and play some gigs! (and eventually some Pearl Jam)

It's time to warm up the vocal chords. la la La La LA LA La La la laaaa
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    House53 wrote:
    No issue. I am just saying. I get rid of my seasoned gig guitar, then I get a gig. :D The SG was like a warm blanket, I haven't reached that level of comfort with the Gretsch yet.

The real issue is that I am excited and hope we jive enough to work out a set and play some gigs! (and eventually some Pearl Jam)

It's time to warm up the vocal chords. la la La La LA LA La La la laaaa

cool, I hope I can find one soon too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    cool, I hope I can find one soon too.

I am excited to hear more details from the group. It's a drummer, bassist, and guitarist. I instantly start wondering what gear these guys play? What are their big influences (it seems some of the songs on the list were from a previous singer)?

It really made me such a better singer and guitarist when I was made to practice and perform regularly.
    There's No Code.
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    listen to the Living End, then youll see how hard a Gretsch can rock. (not to mention a double cut LP jr, but more so the Gretsch)
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
    djyman15 wrote:
    listen to the Living End, then youll see how hard a Gretsch can rock. (not to mention a double cut LP jr, but more so the Gretsch)

I don't doubt it can rock... it has some very nasty distortion tones I have found.
    There's No Code.
    djyman15 wrote:

I don't doubt it can rock... it has some very nasty distortion tones I have found.

I have never listened to that group though, I will have to check them out.
    There's No Code.
  • Didn't the guitarist from the Cult use a Gretsch every once in a while?
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    when it comes down to it; a band can only play the songs it's vocalist can sing. bring along a tape or cd of your best work. from the songlist i think it's time they change and you may inspire that change. sing a couple of their songs; then let them listen to a couple of yours. be careful of delicate egos but a "i know my job" attitude will give you a little extra edge.