The Gretsch gets better: new bridge, tuners, and a setup = More to like

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well,

This weekend I did some modifications to the new Gretsch. While it was "period correct" to have a simple roller bar bridge and open backed grover tuners, these were the source of the tuning/intonation problems, and also hurt the overall sustain of the guitar.

So, I installed some Kluson Deluxe style tuners (much more steady), and replaced the bridge with a Les Paul style (ABR-1). Really noticeable difference. the strings can line up with the pole pieces now and the balance of the tone is much better. Also, the sustain has increased. I think the gibson bridge is heavier, that may have something to do with it.

I set it up with 11s and got the neck and bridge set where I like it... took some work getting the action just so... it's my guitar now. I also played the tele for an hour or so. They are a good combination.

Still sounds like me playing a gretsch, but better.

It wasn't much fun restringing a Bigsby for the first time either, but I figured it out.

I have turned into a cowboy since moving to Texas. A J-200, a Gretsch, and a Tele. Next I guess I should buy a pedal steel guitar... and get a dog/pickup truck. :D
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    House53 wrote:
    Well,

This weekend I did some modifications to the new Gretsch. While it was "period correct" to have a simple roller bar bridge and open backed grover tuners, these were the source of the tuning/intonation problems, and also hurt the overall sustain of the guitar.

So, I installed some Kluson Deluxe style tuners (much more steady), and replaced the bridge with a Les Paul style (ABR-1). Really noticeable difference. the strings can line up with the pole pieces now and the balance of the tone is much better. Also, the sustain has increased. I think the gibson bridge is heavier, that may have something to do with it.

I set it up with 11s and got the neck and bridge set where I like it... took some work getting the action just so... it's my guitar now. I also played the tele for an hour or so. They are a good combination.

Still sounds like me playing a gretsch, but better.

It wasn't much fun restringing a Bigsby for the first time either, but I figured it out.

I have turned into a cowboy since moving to Texas. A J-200, a Gretsch, and a Tele. Next I guess I should buy a pedal steel guitar... and get a dog/pickup truck. :D

I bet the 11's give it more power too and clean up the inter harmonics. That's very Texas. :D

you should get a pedal steel or at least a lap steel.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I bet the 11's give it more power too and clean up the inter harmonics. That's very Texas. :D

you should get a pedal steel or at least a lap steel.

11s are just stronger tone, plus, I feel like I overdo bends with lighter strings.

I the fretboard is very flat, so double bends and such are a breeze... I like to have to dig in when bending, more feeling to it then.
    There's No Code.