gretsch 6120 1960 reissue for my Townshend SG

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have an offer to get a Gretsch 6120 1960 reissue for my SG.

It's pretty tempting. The guy is a Townshend fan with multiple Gretsch's but he wants an SG special to play live, instead of his custom shop version, so he is making a good deal as the Gretsch is worth quite a bit more.

It is a MIJ from the Fender era, so it has alnico pups, better electronics, and a lighter top.

Tempting. Any experience with these in the long run... what about in live situations?

any thoughts are appreciated.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Those reissues are pretty nice.
    WAY nicer than the originals for the most part. The originals from the 60's had a lot of bad necks and funky electronics, and binding problems. After Fender, they got a lot better.
    I have a Chet Atkins 6120, but it's from later,,,,
    I also have a historic series G 3161 ? that I traded a home inspection for,,, and I think that's a better guitar. It sounds great, no bigsby on it and for $450 - $500 , I like it better than the Chet. Great pickups,, ( the humbucker ),,, I think the historic series is a great value if you're looking for a Gretsch. They were made in Korea, late 90's and maybe the early 2000's and go for half of what they listed for.

:D there's one --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7312045150&fromMakeTrack=true

Take a good look at the neck straightness and quality on yours. That's the downfall of some Gretschs.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I'd ask to play it first. The necks on those guitars vary widely...from nice and fat like a les paul, to thin and weedley like a Jackson. Also, be sure you love it, because you will take a beating on resale. The market on the Townsends is soft for now, but that won't last long. The Gretsch is a niche instrument unless your name is Malcolm Young :)

Great guitars though....I switched out the PUP's in mine to TV Jones Filtertrons...stunning pickups.
  • cltaylor12cltaylor12 Posts: 125
    I would not get rid of the Townshend SG if it could be avoided.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    cltaylor12 wrote:
    I would not get rid of the Townshend SG if it could be avoided.

Too late, refer to other post. My new Grestch is named Pete in honor of the PT that came before it.
    There's No Code.
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    >The Gretsch is a niche instrument unless your name is Malcolm Young

chet atkins,brian setzer,stephen still and neil come to mind as having made some good sounds with gretsch instruments.