How about a Kendrick?

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Took a trip to a local GC last night... low and behold:

a Kendrick piggyback 212. All tweed, the head was labeled as a model 4000, which is there version of a high powered tweed twin. However, the layout is more like a bassman. only two power tubes and one rectifier. It also has a built in extra gain stage (one 12ax7) that can be activated via footswitch for a boost. Very cool. The cab is a 212 open back with Kendrick labeled blackframe speakers. Nice tubes installed, RCA power, a mix of ge and phillips in the preamp. Solid state rectifier cap plugged in...

All that aside.

The whole thing was warm and responsive... both channels had a great feel to them and had lots of good tones available. I played it for all of two minutes before I decided to break out the GC card and take it home.

$1500 out the door.

Very cool amp. Maybe now I will play some guitar.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    House53 wrote:
    Took a trip to a local GC last night... low and behold:

a Kendrick piggyback 212. All tweed, the head was labeled as a model 4000, which is there version of a high powered tweed twin. However, the layout is more like a bassman. only two power tubes and one rectifier. It also has a built in extra gain stage (one 12ax7) that can be activated via footswitch for a boost. Very cool. The cab is a 212 open back with Kendrick labeled blackframe speakers. Nice tubes installed, RCA power, a mix of ge and phillips in the preamp. Solid state rectifier cap plugged in...

All that aside.

The whole thing was warm and responsive... both channels had a great feel to them and had lots of good tones available. I played it for all of two minutes before I decided to break out the GC card and take it home.

$1500 out the door.

Very cool amp. Maybe now I will play some guitar.

Killer, I was won over by a Kendrick in a hole in the wall blues bar one night. Just a guy, with a tele and a P90 Gold Top LP + Fulltone Trem, burning the house down. 2x10, tone for days.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I knew you would be pleased with that find.

I need to set up a jam asap.

BTW, the Schecter is in Houston... it might not be delivered until tommorow though.
    There's No Code.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Congrats!
    You picked up a nice amp and it should appreciate over time. Kendrick makes some fine tweeds and he has a long list of loyal customers.
    Check out the Gear page for some threads.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    I just heard back from Mr. Weber himself and he gave me a bit of history on the amp...

It started as a model 4000 (high powered tweed twin) and was converted at the request of the owner to a model 2000 (tweed bassman) The transformers and tube layout were all changed. He said it is nearly identical to a 5F6A Bassman circuit with the optional extra gain stage.

Like I said, whatever it is... it sounds good.
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    House53 wrote:
    I just heard back from Mr. Weber himself and he gave me a bit of history on the amp...

It started as a model 4000 (high powered tweed twin) and was converted at the request of the owner to a model 2000 (tweed bassman) The transformers and tube layout were all changed. He said it is nearly identical to a 5F6A Bassman circuit with the optional extra gain stage.

Like I said, whatever it is... it sounds good.

a better compromise. 2x12's on a bassman circuit. You don't need the extra power of the twin. It's in many applications too loud.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    a better compromise. 2x12's on a bassman circuit. You don't need the extra power of the twin. It's in many applications too loud.

I could tell it wasn't a twin because:

a) only two output tubes (not a high powered twin)
    b) only one rectifier (not a low powered twin)

The speakers had a great warmth and woodiness to the tone. I imagine a Bassman LTD would sound like this amp after it had 12 years of playing done through it... This way I cut out that waiting period. :D

I booked my flight to Chicago... now I really have to run in the marathon. I am running 20 miles this Sunday (my longest training run)... Hopefully I can finish in under 2:15.
    There's No Code.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    House53 wrote:
    I could tell it wasn't a twin because:

a) only two output tubes (not a high powered twin)
    b) only one rectifier (not a low powered twin)

The speakers had a great warmth and woodiness to the tone. I imagine a Bassman LTD would sound like this amp after it had 12 years of playing done through it... This way I cut out that waiting period. :D

I booked my flight to Chicago... now I really have to run in the marathon. I am running 20 miles this Sunday (my longest training run)... Hopefully I can finish in under 2:15.

I would hop in a cab and take it to the finish line :P
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board