Options

Add it to the rumor mill

JoanneJoanne Posts: 98
edited January 2008 in The Porch
So I waited all morning for someone to start this thread - nothing. I can't believe I'm doing this, but this was in our newspaper this morning - Minneapolis/St Paul Star Tribune. Many of you know that the Republican Convention is going to be here this September and so the news is a twitter with rioting stories, and security, and extra police officers etc. This little blurb got my household excited today with hopes for a fun summer/fall of live music.

Rage against the convention?
She was invited to sing the national anthem at the 2004 Republican convention, but Martina McBride says she hasn't heard anything about performing at this year's event in St. Paul. "I'd take it as it comes," she told us. "I'm not really a political person." I.W. has learned, however, that the highly political Rage Against the Machine, Pearl Jam and Green Day are considering separate concerts at Target Center while the Republicans occupy Xcel Energy Center across the river. In the interest of equal time, those bands also are contemplating rocking Denver during the Democratic National Convention.
We're still making records for people who listen to it all the way through, eyes closed, in that space.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    protesting the convention of the whole party? Thats just retarded.
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    protesting the convention of the whole party? Thats just retarded.
    holding a concert for whatever reason...BRILLIANT
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    luvistower wrote:
    holding a concert for whatever reason...BRILLIANT

Seconded! :D
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    wow. something to spend my "rebate" on!!!

:D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    wow. something to spend my "rebate" on!!!

:D

Don't forget the poster! I hope ames and klausen are big spenders.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,648
    Link? See the martina article but no mention of PJ?

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/14250511.html

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    I see the story, but am unclear whether those three bands are (supposedly) planning one huge show or three nights of performances to compete with the convention.

Three nights seems more likely to me than all three bands on the same bill for one night.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I see the story, but am unclear whether those three bands are (supposedly) planning one huge show or three nights of performances to compete with the convention.

Three nights seems more likely to me than all three bands on the same bill for one night.

Conventions are usually 4 nights.....

Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

• Options
    LUV2ROCKLUV2ROCK Posts: 140
    rhinomagic wrote:

She was invited to sing the national anthem at the 2004 Republican convention, but Martina McBride says she hasn't heard anything about performing at this year's event in St. Paul. "I'd take it as it comes," she told us. "I'm not really a political person." I.W. has learned, however, that the highly political Rage Against the Machine, Pearl Jam and Green Day are considering SEPARATE concerts at Target Center while the Republicans occupy Xcel Energy Center across the river. In the interest of equal time, those bands also are contemplating rocking Denver during the Democratic National Convention.

JON BREAM
    73,XXX

Member since day 1 here in August 2003
  • Options
    LUV2ROCK wrote:

She was invited to sing the national anthem at the 2004 Republican convention, but Martina McBride says she hasn't heard anything about performing at this year's event in St. Paul. "I'd take it as it comes," she told us. "I'm not really a political person." I.W. has learned, however, that the highly political Rage Against the Machine, Pearl Jam and Green Day are considering SEPARATE concerts at Target Center while the Republicans occupy Xcel Energy Center across the river. In the interest of equal time, those bands also are contemplating rocking Denver during the Democratic National Convention.

JON BREAM

its still unclear... ;)
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    Joanne wrote:
    So I waited all morning for someone to start this thread - nothing. I can't believe I'm doing this, but this was in our newspaper this morning - Minneapolis/St Paul Star Tribune. Many of you know that the Republican Convention is going to be here this September and so the news is a twitter with rioting stories, and security, and extra police officers etc. This little blurb got my household excited today with hopes for a fun summer/fall of live music.
    Our local radio DJ Mr Chris 107.5 KFEB reported earlier this week that PJ would be doing a Midwest tour this summer to support the release of their next album.

I've been checking here everyday this week to confirm this but to no avail....

Can anyone confirm this?

Hello....um....10c...throw us a crumb will ya?
    the Minions
  • Options
    JoanneJoanne Posts: 98
    its still unclear... ;)

Dude, that's all there is. It isn't going to get any clearer. We've given you all the info we have. That's why it's called a rumor. Just wanted to plant the seed in your heads. No one waits for every detail before posting around here so I thought I'd spread the love.

Still - pretty exciting nonetheless.
    We're still making records for people who listen to it all the way through, eyes closed, in that space.
  • Options
    Joanne wrote:
    Dude, that's all there is. It isn't going to get any clearer. We've given you all the info we have. That's why it's called a rumor. Just wanted to plant the seed in your heads. No one waits for every detail before posting around here so I thought I'd spread the love.

Still - pretty exciting nonetheless.

lmao! you missed it...
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    Joanne wrote:
    In the interest of equal time, those bands also are contemplating rocking Denver during the Democratic National Convention.

OH YEAH!! I said I wasn't going to go near downtown during the Convention but I'll eat those words if PJ is coming to town!!
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • Options
    Our local radio DJ Mr Chris 107.5 KFEB reported earlier this week that PJ would be doing a Midwest tour this summer to support the release of their next album.

Can anyone confirm this?

see now this would be awesome! Much better than some shitty death to republicans concert with eddie explaining how betterman is now about McCain or some Bullshit.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110

Can anyone confirm this?

prior to the release of the album or after the release of the album?????
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    LUV2ROCK wrote:

JON BREAM

OK. But I originally read SEPARATE as 'separate from the GOP convention'.

Can you see how it might still be unclear? Of course, rumors are rumors because they aren't confirmed or clear. Right?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    prior to the release of the album or after the release of the album?????

Not trying to be smartass but to support the release of... Usually means the album has been released...
    the Minions
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Not trying to be smartass but to support the release of... Usually means the album has been released...
    I understand, but with unconfirmed rumors, you never know.....

I didn't know if it was meant to be like the 2005 South America tour that was just before the release of Pearl Jam and was something to tide the fans over until the album came out or if it was a tour because the new album just came out.

But hey, if it's because the album has been released, that means a new album for the summer, which would be awesome!!!!!!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    just take it for what it is

an indication that something involving PJ is in the works

sounds like another vote for change concept

I dont care for rage, but PJ and rage would be perfect for that.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444

Can anyone confirm this?

A local dj here in Los Angeles came across an advance copy of the Coachella line-up, and announced it on the air...too bad it was a bogus line-up, and she fell for it.

Some djs get good information, but others rely on rumors, and announce them so that people will think they are in-the-know.
  • Options
    MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
    The important thing is that when there's smoke, there's fire. With a bunch of rumors flying around, something has to be in the works for 2008...
  • Options
    go prego pre Posts: 650
    my initial thought: pj should trade venues with the republicans. the sound quality in the target center sucks balls. xcell is one of the best-sounding indoor venues i've ever been to.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    aqua amesaqua ames Seattle Posts: 94
    go pre wrote:
    my initial thought: pj should trade venues with the republicans. the sound quality in the target center sucks balls. xcell is one of the best-sounding indoor venues i've ever been to.

I totally agree. The Target Center is one of the worse venues for a concert I've ever been to and Xcel is amazing.
    How about a show at First Ave!? :) The Northrup? Not the metrodome either.
    2000: Seattle I & II
    2003: Fargo, St Paul, Santa Barbara
    2005: The Gorge & Thunder Bay
    2006: Chicago I & II, St Paul I & II, Portland, The Gorge I & II,
    Honolulu
    2009: Seattle I & II, Portland
    2011: Vancouver B.C.
    2013: Wrigley Field Chicago & Seattle
    2014: St. Paul
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    when is that convention?
    because the chance to see PJ/RATM on the same bill, or even back to back days will be hard to miss :D
  • Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268

You have a better chance getting blood from a stone...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    LUV2ROCKLUV2ROCK Posts: 140
    Pegasus wrote:
    when is that convention?
    because the chance to see PJ/RATM on the same bill, or even back to back days will be hard to miss :D

Hi Amy!!!

http://www.demconvention.com/

http://www.gopconvention.com/
    73,XXX

Member since day 1 here in August 2003
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    LUV2ROCK wrote:
    I'm not Amy..

mm..end of august beginning of sept...
    we'll have to see.. with Bonarro and Munich and the Seattle trip..

but, I thought the conventions were about selecting the candidates...and that the primaries were finishing really early this year, like March or April.. so why the gap in between?
    (or I really understand fuck all about the way you people go on about politics)
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    Fuck the Target Center. Though it would be just over the 10th anniversary of their 98 show there, which was my first, and still one of the best, that I've seen by them. We need an amphitheater, bad. Maybe they'll play Alpine, too.