Schecter PT arrives... review

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, the guitar arrived. Not exactly what I was expecting, but still very nice. The guitar is SOLID. I mean, really well built... the whole thing just feels good. The neck is very fast, but not the shape I was expecting... the neck shape is like a fender medium C... or a standard strat neck. Probably the most popular neck shape... I was hoping for a bigger neck or a V shape. The fret board is very flat... probably a 12 or 14" radius... very easy to play. Locking tuners, graphite saddles, coil taps, etc.

The pickups are very clean... meaning, they are strong and true to the tone of the strings and wood, not a lot of coloration. You have to add all that flavor with your playing, when you do it sounds great... but if you just play a chord, it can sound plain. The coil taps work pretty well too.

The guitar really reminds me of a TAG Cobra... the feel, the neck, the setup... all over. Especially the pickups... they have the Tom Anderson clarity to them.

On the whole, I don't know if it is a good fit for me... I will play it more this weekend and try to figure out if I want to mess with the blue version (if that would be any better). Otherwise, I might turn it around for something else.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i give it two weeks. :D
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    given my first impression, I give it less than that... but I want to spend some more time with it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence... :)
    There's No Code.
    that's too bad. but maybe it will end up being good for you. i don't know.

i think i'm glad i'm left-handed as it severely limits my options.

otherwise, i'd be going insane trying everything out. i'm bad enough as it is.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    That's my favorite neck, similar to the boat neck I think.

I really think you might like the SRV neck. If you liked the guitar you could just get USA customs to build you one, but my guess is you'll go trade it for that little saucy telesonic which really honestly should be a hollowbody. As it stands it's Fenders version of a gretsch super jet.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    tele sonics are chambered.

My thought as soon as I picked up the Schecter... strat guys would love this... it felt and played a lot like my lead guitar players strat (from St. Louis)... the neck is the quintessential strat neck...

I will check out my options. I am playing a lot of guitar this weekend, it has been decided.

I could just turn it around on ebay for the same price I paid... no harm done.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    tele sonics are chambered.

My thought as soon as I picked up the Schecter... strat guys would love this... it felt and played a lot like my lead guitar players strat (from St. Louis)... the neck is the quintessential strat neck...

I will check out my options. I am playing a lot of guitar this weekend, it has been decided.

I could just turn it around on ebay for the same price I paid... no harm done.

you should flip it. I guarentee you are a U neck to fat V neck guy. I've played some tremendously fat (and hot) teles with those necks and then the tree that SRV played. I still think you would dig an ES125 but I know for a fact hot tele's sound amazing in tweed twins. What about an Esquire?

I think Schecter uses a 14" radius on thier stuff. I prefer a rounder board. The neck though, is definately all strat no wonder Pete liked it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    I am scoping some trade ideas...

My tele is a pretty "hot" tele as it has a duncan '54 bridge... that covers that ground well. I would like to get something with a little bit different flavor.

I don't think I would get much trade in value if I put it towards that tele-sonic. But if I went in with $800 in cash, I could probably buy the guitar.

I would like something with stronger pups, ie P-90s, DeArmond 2ks, HBs... in a telecaster body.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I am scoping some trade ideas...

My tele is a pretty "hot" tele as it has a duncan '54 bridge... that covers that ground well. I would like to get something with a little bit different flavor.

I don't think I would get much trade in value if I put it towards that tele-sonic. But if I went in with $800 in cash, I could probably buy the guitar.

I would like something with stronger pups, ie P-90s, DeArmond 2ks, HBs... in a telecaster body.

There are a few on TGP. You could easily flip the S on Ebay, as black is probably the most desirable color anyway. I bet you could even sell it here for what you have in it.

I've seen one or two with a PAF neck and regular bridge, those new Fralin hums (Fender tele custom style) are pretty quality as well
    is the neck the only issue?

warmoth.
    the neck and the overall feel are too refined for my tastes... I like things to be more rough around the edges. Like I said, it really reminds me of a strat in how it responds. Very nice and well made, but not my thing.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    the neck and the overall feel are too refined for my tastes... I like things to be more rough around the edges. Like I said, it really reminds me of a strat in how it responds. Very nice and well made, but not my thing.

Have you tried Mig's tele. The double hum from MF I think. It's on sale for 399 right now. Dump the pups. Put in some Voodoo 59's or what have you and there it is.

yoink

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/515207/
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I bet you could even sell it here for what you have in it.

Anyone interested? $739 shipped to your door in the lower 48 states.

Be like Ed. Go Schecter... :D

Ask all the questions you like too, I will describe in detail.
    There's No Code.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    House53 wrote:
    Anyone interested? $739 shipped to your door in the lower 48 states.

Be like Ed. Go Schecter... :D

Ask all the questions you like too, I will describe in detail.

uh, the one you bid on yesterday? the blue shecter?
    There's No Code.
  • i was going to get a schecter PT as my first guitar but i went with a fat strat...i still want one of these babies
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    i was going to get a schecter PT as my first guitar but i went with a fat strat...i still want one of these babies

$739 to your door.
    There's No Code.
  • House53 wrote:
    $739 to your door.

739$? thats what u paid? i ment the standard one for 400$, lol
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    739$? thats what u paid? i ment the standard one for 400$, lol

this is the original 80's custom shop
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    this is the original 80's custom shop

What he said... :D

This is from back when Schecter was just custom builds to order.

This is what Pete Townshend and Ed played.
    There's No Code.
  • Looks sweet man. Too bad my door is over the Atlantic.
    pearlwax wrote:
    Looks sweet man. Too bad my door is over the Atlantic.

Thanks, if you are really interested send me an email. I would be happy to arrange shipping for a fellow PJ fan.
    There's No Code.
  • Tempting, but wouldn't be a smart move financially speaking. If it were plain 739, maybe, but international shipping and especially customs here will royally screw me. But thanks anyway.
  • House53 wrote:
    What he said... :D

This is from back when Schecter was just custom builds to order.

This is what Pete Townshend and Ed played.

see i didnt know it was the 80s...hmmm
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Have you tried Mig's tele. The double hum from MF I think. It's on sale for 399 right now. Dump the pups. Put in some Voodoo 59's or what have you and there it is.

yoink

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/515207/

Probably still not the neck profile he wants. It's like a hybrid Fender C / 60's LP neck, fairly slim. I like it, it's very comfortable, but it's not at all chunky.

He'd probably kill for my P-90 loaded Tele Deluxe, though... the neck is a little fatter, probably still a fat C, but chunkier, and the TONE... heaven, lotsa character.

I'd say you'd be better off piecing the parts you want from Warmoth and build from scratch.

PS: I had a TeleSonic a few years back, and I loved it. Sold it to a really good friend, so it's still around... I pick it up from time to time, and I really miss it. The tone-chambered body still has the tightess of a solid-body, but some woodiness from the chambers, and the DeArmond 2K pups are PHAT. Very nice, round tone... no bite, but lotsa balls. Think a single-coil version of a Classic 57 HB, or a slightly underwound P-90 without the treble in the bridge.

I'd be interested in that Schecter, but I already have too many Tele's, I need a decent acoustic, and I'm broke. Keep it a while at least, see if it grows any on you... like Joni Mitchell said, you don't know what you got 'till it's gone...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    The Schecter just needed the right amp to express itself.

I played it through about 12 different amps this weekend... one thing was consistent... El-84 amps are where its at for me. I played an Orange AD30 TC, a Dr Z Rx, a Matchless HC-30, a Roccaforte Custom 45, a Dr Z 6545, an Orange Rockerverb 50, a Super Reverb (w/ phillips 6L6s), a tweed twin, a mesa lone star special...

The amps with EL84s had the tone I have been missing. I am seriously considering the Mesa as it really impressed me, despite my distaste for the name plate. In a blind test, I would have picked it.

I played and sang for about three hours yesterday with a local guy... just my tele (standard) into his tweed twin... he played a Clapton strat into the Victoria version of the same amp. We had some good moments where we got things going pretty well... it was the first time we had played together, so we were teaching each other songs and feeling things out.

With both my guitars, the Mesa really had some cool stuff going on and lots of good tones. The clean and dirty tones sounded good, nice reverb, nice touch, big tones too.

The Schecter really has a good response to volume knob adjustments.
    There's No Code.