guitar project

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, I have a new King Royale on the way. The next step is to customize my newest telecaster.

I have found that I am notorious for dumping guitars that have nothing wrong with them. I have one guitar that has made it through and not been sold. The reason, it is heavily personalized and doesn't have much resale value... so whenever I get the itch for something new... not really a good option. So, the good guitar sticks around.

Anyways, I have found another winner of a guitar, but want to make sure I keep it... that means some mods.

I have two main electrics right now
1) personalized telecaster, ash body, maple/maple U neck, very light finish, dark sunburst, oil finish on the body. Duncan '54 bridge and Alnico II Pro neck... standard setup.

2) Fender American Vintage '62 custom tele reissue. Alder, maple/rosewood neck, ice blue metallic, stock from fender

My plan for the Fender...

a) take the decal off. I have my name signed on the headstock of the other tele. This way I keep it around.

b) change the pups to a non traditional tele setup. Options:

P-90s
HBs
Filtertrons/TV Trons
hotter tele pickups
Lollar Chicago Steel
Strat pickups

Basically, my question: What pickups sound good in an alder bodied guitar with the King Royale.... I don't care how it looks, but I want it to have some really versatile and potentially nasty tones available. I also would like some big warm tones on tap as well.

Ideas?
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    under the "hotter tele" category, i have a duncan lil 59 in the bridge of mine.

i hate the standard tele bridge sound. it's unusable. but i use the 59 on it's own a lot now. nice and full. no ice-picking.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    exhausted wrote:
    under the "hotter tele" category, i have a duncan lil 59 in the bridge of mine.

i hate the standard tele bridge sound. it's unusable. but i use the 59 on it's own a lot now. nice and full. no ice-picking.

I disagree on the standard tele bridge being unusable... but that is okay. You like the 59s feel... how different is it from a "real" hb?
    There's No Code.
    my amp settings are pretty bright thus the bridge alone is usually too harsh for me.

the 59 doesn't have as much output as a regular hum and retains some brightness. it's pretty close to halfway between single coil and hum.
    basically. a tele with nuts.
    exhausted wrote:
    basically. a tele with nuts.

Again, my tele has serious nuts and it has standard pickups... it could be a tele with more nuts... :)

That's what I am looking for... bigger and badder.

I am leaning towards a really strong bridge and two P-90s in the middle and neck... then 5 way strat switching.
    There's No Code.
    probably lots of better options for the bridge then.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the little 59 is basically a strat bridge with balls.

me, I'd go with the Harmonic Design S-90 at the bridge. Maybe a 5% overwind on the neck and mid pups (not too much you'll lose clarity) or maybe a vintage plus chrometone from HD. Unless you want to go with Lollar or even a Blues Special Fralin. A Rio Grande Fat Bastard would be cool too.

Or you could go with some kind of PAF there too. HD's is very good. Just ask MIG how much he likes that S90 in his Nashville bridge.

Two slightly overwound (5%) lollar P-90's and a Harmonic Design S90 at the bridge would be freaking burn the house down killer.

I say you take the neck to a wood shop and get your name custom ingraved on the neck or some kind of plate/decal made for it. Then maybe add some cool amp knobs or what have you.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    the little 59 is basically a strat bridge with balls.

me, I'd go with the Harmonic Design S-90 at the bridge. Maybe a 5% overwind on the neck and mid pups (not too much you'll lose clarity) or maybe a vintage plus chrometone from HD. Unless you want to go with Lollar or even a Blues Special Fralin. A Rio Grande Fat Bastard would be cool too.

Or you could go with some kind of PAF there too. HD's is very good. Just ask MIG how much he likes that S90 in his Nashville bridge.

Two slightly overwound (5%) lollar P-90's and a Harmonic Design S90 at the bridge would be freaking burn the house down killer.

I had spec'd out that exact set of pups... the S-90 and two lollars...

We do think alike. lol

I think I could probably get the whole thing done for about $450. After I buy this condo, that is the top priority. That and playing electric guitar in a band.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I had spec'd out that exact set of pups... the S-90 and two lollars...

We do think alike. lol

I think I could probably get the whole thing done for about $450. After I buy this condo, that is the top priority. That and playing electric guitar in a band.

indeed, mig will probably gladly send some clips.

these are done by Redd Volkert nashville studio ace who happens to pimp HD's.

http://www.durhamelectronics.com/
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    a chicago steel in the middle would be dope.

Tune to open E, pull out the old slide, step on some boost and go to town.