Very Cool

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Really nice... really nice. The Falcon is beautiful. Big and warm clean tones, really nice "edge of breakup" tones (my fave on any guitar), and really nasty raunchy dirt when pushed.

The guitar has a nice neck (big C), setup was good, bigsby is just right, the pots do take a lot of high end out with just a little volume drop... that is bad when playing clean... it works well when playing distorted.

I am impressed. The guitar is very lighweight too... under 8 lbs easily.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    House53 wrote:
    Really nice... really nice. The Falcon is beautiful. Big and warm clean tones, really nice "edge of breakup" tones (my fave on any guitar), and really nasty raunchy dirt when pushed.

The guitar has a nice neck (big C), setup was good, bigsby is just right, the pots do take a lot of high end out with just a little volume drop... that is bad when playing clean... it works well when playing distorted.

I am impressed. The guitar is very lighweight too... under 8 lbs easily.

How is it unplugged? Are you going to swap the pots and pups out? Man, you are giving me bad GAS :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    JofZ wrote:
    How is it unplugged? Are you going to swap the pots and pups out? Man, you are giving me bad GAS :)

Unplugged: very resonant... obviously... but the whole thing has a nice feel when playing... it is a little less boxy than I expected when played unplugged too...

I might do the pup/pot switch, but I don't plan on it immediately. The stock pups (alnico filtertrons) are a bit more aggresive than a TV Jones Classic... I like that. Like I said, there is some treble loss on the volume pots... that could be improved...

I can play with the wiring later. Right now it is great to play.
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    House53 wrote:
    Unplugged: very resonant... obviously... but the whole thing has a nice feel when playing... it is a little less boxy than I expected when played unplugged too...

I might do the pup/pot switch, but I don't plan on it immediately. The stock pups (alnico filtertrons) are a bit more aggresive than a TV Jones Classic... I like that. Like I said, there is some treble loss on the volume pots... that could be improved...

I can play with the wiring later. Right now it is great to play.

I always feel like those would be fun to sit on the couch and just strum unpluged. I just love the whole feel and mojo and everything.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I always feel like those would be fun to sit on the couch and just strum unpluged. I just love the whole feel and mojo and everything.

I played for about three hours last night while watching the Bob Dylan documentary on PBS.

Very enjoyable to play unplugged... more fun to play through an amp.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I played for about three hours last night while watching the Bob Dylan documentary on PBS.

Damn it, I knew I forgot to Tivo something last night!

Thanks for the acoustic feedback, I think you might grow to like the pups that are in it, but with so many options you never know ;)
    My only concern would be the use of pedals, God knows I have enough of them and I think it would be a little tricky finding a good OD pedal that would work, any experimentation yet?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    House53 wrote:

all the more reason to purchase a vibrochamp or a tiny little tweed.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    JofZ wrote:
    Damn it, I knew I forgot to Tivo something last night!

quote]

It liked both of my od pedals... especially together... :D

actually the maxon OD Pro worked really well with the falcon and the king royale... whether boosting or adding dirt.

With pedals you might have issues of feedback with too many things running... but the guitar sounds pretty good straight in as well.
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    all the more reason to purchase a vibrochamp or a tiny little tweed.

I am waiting for the matching 212 to arrive for my amp... then I will have the tophat halfstack... That will be fun.

Then I might look into speaker options. The amp has a g12H and a V30... I think the cab has two V30s. I would like to add a blue and another g12H...

bottom: 2 X g12H
    Top: V30 and Blue
    There's No Code.
    the dylan bio was very cool too...

There is a scene(also on a Dylan bootleg series album) right when he is first playing electric... the crowds are split and those opposed are vocal... The show is wrapping up... a fan yells: "Judas!"

Dylan replies:" I don't believe you.... You're a Liar!!" he then turns to the band and says off mic: "Play it F*ckin' Loud, Man" The then launch into Like a Rolling Stone... I get chills when I here that track... Awesome.

I know compared to DTE or some other PJ songs, LARS isn't a hard rock song... but at the time for Bob Dylan to change gears like that... really just awesome.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    the dylan bio was very cool too...

There is a scene(also on a Dylan bootleg series album) right when he is first playing electric... the crowds are split and those opposed are vocal... The show is wrapping up... a fan yells: "Judas!"

Dylan replies:" I don't believe you.... You're a Liar!!" he then turns to the band and says off mic: "Play it F*ckin' Loud, Man" The then launch into Like a Rolling Stone... I get chills when I here that track... Awesome.

I know compared to DTE or some other PJ songs, LARS isn't a hard rock song... but at the time for Bob Dylan to change gears like that... really just awesome.

I heard there was some fantastic Mike Bloomfield footage, who is my hero for many reasons. Not to many Chicago Jewish Les Paul players LOL
    I am going to have to buy it. Along with the new Woodstock Jimi DVD.

I think Dylan is one of the few artists that has an equal number of haters and lovers. Most people could care less when it comes to an artist, but with Dylan it seems everyone has an opinion. I find it interesting that so many think he is a prophet, while others think he isn't worthy of the limelight. I do think he is one of the greatest American songwriters ever to live and since he has so much charisma it is hard for me not to like him. Good voice, eeeh probably not LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    I heard there was some fantastic Mike Bloomfield footage, who is my hero for many reasons. Not to many Chicago Jewish Les Paul players LOL
    I am going to have to buy it. Along with the new Woodstock Jimi DVD.

I think Dylan is one of the few artists that has an equal number of haters and lovers. Most people could care less when it comes to an artist, but with Dylan it seems everyone has an opinion. I find it interesting that so many think he is a prophet, while others think he isn't worthy of the limelight. I do think he is one of the greatest American songwriters ever to live and since he has so much charisma it is hard for me not to like him. Good voice, eeeh probably not LOL

Definitely Bloomfield footage... but he was playing a tele throughout... in the studio and live... good stuff though.

Dylan is one of my favorites and one of my biggest influences in playing music.
    There's No Code.
  • Wow, funny someone brings up falcons.
    I was chattin with the guitar tech for wintersleep down on george st. sunday night.

i asked him about that les paul i was lookin at (yeah, pac, u know) ... and he said "no way would he buy it." ... said he couldn't afford it.
    then he was like, "oh. you mean, hypotheticaly? oh, yeah ... no, i still wouldn't." ;)

he said "he doesn't like 'those kind've' guitars" ... said he likes gretschs, particularly "the falcon"

guess there is a buzz in the air about 'em goin round.

cool.
    i love my old gretsch, but i still want an LP.
    :)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    House53 wrote:
    Definitely Bloomfield footage... but he was playing a tele throughout... in the studio and live... good stuff though.

Dylan is one of my favorites and one of my biggest influences in playing music.
    He played a tele way more then people think, but he is famous for the PAF sizzle. I have to see this now. Some of the best playing I have ever heard is on Bloomfield albums-period!
    Dylan is one of the few I consider to be real. What you see is what you get. I can't think of anyone else though that wrote so many classics only to have them become true legends with someone else performing them. It speaks volumes for his writing. Diamond is another guy, not even close to Dylan but along the same lines.
    Anyone that Hendrix looked up to is good enough for me :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Wow, funny someone brings up falcons.
    I was chattin with the guitar tech for wintersleep down on george st. sunday night.

i asked him about that les paul i was lookin at (yeah, pac, u know) ... and he said "no way would he buy it." ... said he couldn't afford it.
    then he was like, "oh. you mean, hypotheticaly? oh, yeah ... no, i still wouldn't." ;)

he said "he doesn't like 'those kind've' guitars" ... said he likes gretschs, particularly "the falcon"

guess there is a buzz in the air about 'em goin round.

cool.
    i love my old gretsch, but i still want an LP.
    :)

Much of the new buzz is because they are finally being built properally again, that combined with anything vintage will equate to 15-30% a year in appreciation has everyone buying up anything in good shape. The Gretsch guitars have always been popular, and the Penguin is one of the most faked guitars of all time, check it out it is a very interesting story. All I know is if someone has one for sale you are more then likely getting a copy.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Much of the new buzz is because they are finally being built properally again, that combined with anything vintage will equate to 15-30% a year in appreciation has everyone buying up anything in good shape. The Gretsch guitars have always been popular, and the Penguin is one of the most faked guitars of all time, check it out it is a very interesting story. All I know is if someone has one for sale you are more then likely getting a copy.

Word also got out that I bought one... :D

That caused the value to drop by at least 30%...
    There's No Code.