My version of Long Road

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
My take on one of my favorite PJ songs

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=336651

All, this is my first attempt at recording/mastering with my new Tascam DP-01FX. I did this all tonight on single takes... but I am happy with the results. Any feedback, comments/criticisms, compliments, thoughts, etc are appreciated.

Setup...

Tascam DP-01FX eight track digital recorder
Presonus Tube preamp used on certain tracks as well

Track 1 - Martin D-18V internal ellipse system mic
Track 2 - Martin D-18V room mic (SM-57 --> presonus)
Recorded simultaneously
Track 3 - Gibson J-200 room mic (SM-57 -->presonus)
Track 4 - Lead vocal (Audix OM-2 -->presonus) with very light reverb from tascam
Track 5 - backing vocal (Audix OM-2 --> presonus) recorded with me sitting about 5 feet away and heavy reverb
Track 6 and 7 - Nord Electro 2 direct with heavy reverb - Hammond B3 setting with leslie sim and hammond chorus/vibrato engaged

All first takes and mixed down.

The song is the first song I ever learned on guitar, so it seemed appropriate that it be the first song I record.

Thanks
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• That was cool.

I didn't know you could get that sort of sound quality from a digital 8 track. Maybe I'll just get one of those instead of investing in a whole pile of computer stuff.

Good job.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i'd listen if i didn't have to sign up....
  • bigmuzzbigmuzz Posts: 299
    sounded good.......nice work.

yeah, when i record stuff i just do it thru the computer, on cakewalk pro audio 9 (at the moment), but this 8 track sounds heaps better.....

keep up the good work......
    Sydney Wed 8 Nov 2006....

when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.........

see me @ www.myspace.com/bigmuzz

keep on rockin!.......
  • bigmuzzbigmuzz Posts: 299
    ....and thanx for introducing me to this soundclick.com site....theres some fucken awesome stuff to be heard on this site......
    Sydney Wed 8 Nov 2006....

when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.........

see me @ www.myspace.com/bigmuzz

keep on rockin!.......
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Thanks for the positive comments...

I think the tube preamp ($99, presonus) really added to the warmth of the guitars and vocals.

I have to decide what other songs I want to record... make a little PJ album... maybe some other artists too, including a couple of originals I have been kicking around.
    There's No Code.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i always found that presonus gave me hiss. glad it's working for you.
    exhausted wrote:
    i always found that presonus gave me hiss. glad it's working for you.

There's definitely some hiss in there... but one of the "benefits" of compressing this to mp3 was that hiss seems to have been lost... along with a lot of bass and presence... (I guess you win and lose) But for the $$ I enjoyed the results...

Tascam $450
    Presonus $100
    SM-57 $80
    OM-2 $80

$730 call it $800 with the cables... the expensive part is the guitars and the keyboard... :D We won't get into those prices.
    There's No Code.
    it's a good setup. i used a tascam 788 for years. and used the presonus for warmth and phantom power for my vocal condenser. i only ditched the presonus when i got my mbox.

i didn't get a chance to listen to this at home this morning so i'm going to have to tonight.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Sounds pretty good man. Nice job.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    exhausted wrote:
    it's a good setup. i used a tascam 788 for years. and used the presonus for warmth and phantom power for my vocal condenser. i only ditched the presonus when i got my mbox.

i didn't get a chance to listen to this at home this morning so i'm going to have to tonight.

It definitely sounds better if you can use something other than just cpu speakers... as with any internet music, cpu speakers lose all the bass and feel.
    There's No Code.
  • very nice...inspired me to get my set up hooked up again today, thanks!

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    very nice...inspired me to get my set up hooked up again today, thanks!

harrison

thanks. please share your recording too... glad I helped spawn some creativity. That's my good deed for the day. :D
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    It definitely sounds better if you can use something other than just cpu speakers... as with any internet music, cpu speakers lose all the bass and feel.

i generally take stuff, put it on my memory key and play it on my studio computer through my monitors.
    exhausted wrote:
    i generally take stuff, put it on my memory key and play it on my studio computer through my monitors.

I bought some nicer headphones that were marketed as "studio monitors" They have a very big and full sound...

I like listening to just the organ at the end... you can hear the chorus/vibrato/leslie sim and it is really organic... at least on the WAV file... not sure about the mp3.
    There's No Code.
  • House53 wrote:
    My take on one of my favorite PJ songs

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=336651

All, this is my first attempt at recording/mastering with my new Tascam DP-01FX. I did this all tonight on single takes... but I am happy with the results. Any feedback, comments/criticisms, compliments, thoughts, etc are appreciated.

Setup...

Tascam DP-01FX eight track digital recorder
    Presonus Tube preamp used on certain tracks as well

Track 1 - Martin D-18V internal ellipse system mic
    Track 2 - Martin D-18V room mic (SM-57 --> presonus)
    Recorded simultaneously
    Track 3 - Gibson J-200 room mic (SM-57 -->presonus)
    Track 4 - Lead vocal (Audix OM-2 -->presonus) with very light reverb from tascam
    Track 5 - backing vocal (Audix OM-2 --> presonus) recorded with me sitting about 5 feet away and heavy reverb
    Track 6 and 7 - Nord Electro 2 direct with heavy reverb - Hammond B3 setting with leslie sim and hammond chorus/vibrato engaged

All first takes and mixed down.

The song is the first song I ever learned on guitar, so it seemed appropriate that it be the first song I record.

Thanks

Nicely Done Dude
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.