New Speakers... Mishap... Then an idea...

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well my new speakers arrived... a Celestion Blue and a G12H heritage... I was excited and ready to install them... I had planned to install them in series (I ordered two ohm speakers) and run the amp at 16 ohms.

Well, upon inspection I realize that they had shipped the wrong g12H... it is the 15 ohm version (yes 15 ohms, part of the "original design") So, I am stuck. I can't wire these in series (that's 23 ohms, big mismatch).

So, I replace the V30 in my amp with the blue and wire in series. Blue and g12H anniversary for now. I am ready to exchange the 15 ohm speaker for the 8 ohm version... this process will take 2 to 3 weeks, but it will get straightened out.

Then I get an idea... if I run the two speakers in parallel, I will get an ohmage around 5.21 1/(1/15 + 1/8) = 5.21... I can run the amp on the four ohm tap for a bit of a mismatch, but very safe... maybe this will yield some cool results.

I think back to my research of PTs tone... he ran a 3X10 bandmaster (with an impedance mismatch) tweed bandmasters ran 3 8 ohm speakers in parallel for a 2.67 total ohmage load into a 2 ohm bassman transformer... a 4/3 ratio

if I run my speakers in parallel I will get a 1.3 ratio, very close.

Long story short, I believe I am on the verge of a tone so mindblowing that I cannot guarantee the safety of those who hear it... a tone so great that it will redefine electric guitar tones for generations... and everyone will be wanting a 15 ohm speaker to pair with an 8 ohm speaker to get that magical mismatch.

I ordered a parallel speaker wiring rig from Brian at Tophat and I will set it up when I get the chance.

More details to come
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    all I can really say to that is wow, interesting can't wait to hear the gretsch on it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    all I can really say to that is wow, interesting can't wait to hear the gretsch on it.

Am I completely off base... just impatient and a crazed... or does it seem like a reasonable idea?
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Am I completely off base... just impatient and a crazed... or does it seem like a reasonable idea?

I just worry about the stress on the OT but since you're over, it should be just fine. might be really cool.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I just worry about the stress on the OT but since you're over, it should be just fine. might be really cool.

I guess the blue would see more of the load too... 2/3 to 1/3 2/3 of 30 watts is 20 watts... more than the power rating, but people run 20 watt amps into single blues as well.

I think I will just exchange the speaker...
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I guess the blue would see more of the load too... 2/3 to 1/3 2/3 of 30 watts is 20 watts... more than the power rating, but people run 20 watt amps into single blues as well.

I think I will just exchange the speaker...

15 watts is the nominal rating, as long as you don't crank the hell out of it, you'll be ok. Peak is probably around 40. Be careful with it, (no unplugging while she's engaged) that kind of thing. It's well built.