Slide Guitar... Ideas. lp jr? v? sg?

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
If you were a guitar... say you had a huge neck, one pickup and tons of attitude and you wanted to cost under $1000... what would you be?

My friend is wanting a guitar for slide work... he wants it to be bad and raunchy and full of mojo... blah blah...

anyways, he has about $1000... all I see for the cooler vintagey gibsons starts around $1200 or so...

Any ideas? webpages to check? I have checked out ebay and gbase, but I am not finding any good leads for him. He is leaning Gibson, but it doesn't need to be...

Thanks?
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    House53 wrote:
    If you were a guitar... say you had a huge neck, one pickup and tons of attitude and you wanted to cost under $1000... what would you be?

My friend is wanting a guitar for slide work... he wants it to be bad and raunchy and full of mojo... blah blah...

anyways, he has about $1000... all I see for the cooler vintagey gibsons starts around $1200 or so...

Any ideas? webpages to check? I have checked out ebay and gbase, but I am not finding any good leads for him. He is leaning Gibson, but it doesn't need to be...

Thanks?

LP Jr great slide axe!
    If you find a vintage one with out a headstock break for under 6800 let me know :P
    If he has a good budget look no further then Koll, he has a jr that will knock the shit out of you.
    Search for Koll Guitars and be prepared to shit on your self.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    JofZ wrote:
    LP Jr great slide axe!
    If you find a vintage one with out a headstock break for under 6800 let me know :P
    If he has a good budget look no further then Koll, he has a jr that will knock the shit out of you.
    Search for Koll Guitars and be prepared to shit on your self.

Kolls look sharp... they cost a bit more than he wants to spend... but they might be worth the wait.

what does a historic lp junior run these days?
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Koll.

But, shoot, I'd build a guitar around a Lollar Chicago Steel Pickup.

Maybe a Early 90's LP deluxe.

We'd all say LP JR I think.

I might even find some kind of epi jr that's beat and throw a chicago steel in there. If it's a slide guitar he want's dirty. He dosen't care what's on the headstock.

or even have USA customs build you a huge neck and slap this puppy in to the middle slot of some kind of fenderish body http://lollarguitars.com/cgi-bin/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LGP&Product_Code=227&Category_Code=PU
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • This Ben Harper one is amazing i think!!!

http://www.asherguitars.com/home.html
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • That Ben Harper is model is cool, made for it.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    House53 wrote:
    Kolls look sharp... they cost a bit more than he wants to spend... but they might be worth the wait.

what does a historic lp junior run these days?

Not sure, but I know someone who will know :)
    Give JasonS a call at Music123, as I am pretty sure they have some in stock.

The Kolls kill, did you see the Jr?
    Also, look at his client list.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • The new Gibson Melody Maker seems like it would be a great slide guitar, and they're very affordable. The single P-90 promises pretty damn good tone, as well...

Hell, you may even find a vintage model in that price range.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:

sounds like you want to buy me an xmas present, pac.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • The new Gibson Melody Maker seems like it would be a great slide guitar, and they're very affordable. The single P-90 promises pretty damn good tone, as well...

Hell, you may even find a vintage model in that price range.

Ha!

Great minds think alike!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Melody-Maker_W0QQitemZ7368818515QQcategoryZ33040QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Put this on it:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/Resonator_nuts,_saddles/Slide_Guitar_Extension_Nut.html

Then raise the pickup towards the strings a bit and spend some more on this or another old Gibson amp. They have GREAT slide tone when you crank them up.:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-GIBSON-EH100-GUITAR-AMP_W0QQitemZ7368620230QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That might leave enought for this and a Fralin or Loller P-90 to put into this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Harmony-Lap-Steel-Made-in-USA_W0QQitemZ7367549150QQcategoryZ119094QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Paco! Those ES 125's are great for slide, but they can feedback, which is a FEATURE as far as I'm concerned! :D That hollow body takes on a life of it's own when it's feeding back. You can just lay it down and let it play itself while you go get a beer!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart